Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Review: Finish Kare FK1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax Review

Quote Originally Posted by TID10 View Post
    I know you are asking Todd but I wanted to mention I have applied by PC using a white polish pad. It spread very well but was a b*tch to remove from the pad. All things considered, I found it just as easy to to apply by hand.
    Thanks for the heads up TId10, the dreaded pad cleanup. Oh boy, it`s the one thing I really really hate about detailing the car. Major p.i.t.a. Just don`t think I can get the sealant to spread as evenly or thinly by hand as by DA. But your comments are on point. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Fk1000P is a mold release product that produces a super smooth finish on the casting even when used at High temps up to 275 degrees. In order to get a cast with a super smooth finish the releasing agent has got to be slick and level. 1000P allows for repeated releases of a mold so its very durable.

When we put it on cars it gives a durable slick level finish that reflects light in such a manner it appears to look like thicker clear coat.....the glossed gum ball effect.

If you apply it to paint using the PC/foam method, IME and IMO this facilitates a bond to the paint that last much longer than applying by hand. A second coat is wise, but you need to wait till the curing has off gassed most of the carriers, often solvents, or you will remove the first layer. In addition, application of the second or subsequent layers is best by hand to reduce "picking up" the first layer by the solvents. I give 48hr between coats, and I like to wipe down between each coat with FK425. If the conditions are warm and arid you can give 24hrs between.

The most common complaint is that Pseudo halos can show up when using this sealant. Cause is too thick of an application. Fix: allow to cure and then wipe down halos with FK425, or use a clean MF and wipe down at that time.

Its a great winter wax for many of my clients here in Utah. The clients like to use the touch free washes and the touch free, wash with harsher detergents than I use, and they get close to 5 months before the fk1000p no longer easily releases the dirty build ups. By then its time for me to spruce up the car for spring.....

Cheers,
    Greg
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer
    Likes Randy Mc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info Greg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Fk1000P is a mold release product that produces a super smooth finish on the casting even when used at High temps up to 275 degrees. In order to get a cast with a super smooth finish the releasing agent has got to be slick and level. 1000P allows for repeated releases of a mold so its very durable.

When we put it on cars it gives a durable slick level finish that reflects light in such a manner it appears to look like thicker clear coat.....the glossed gum ball effect.

If you apply it to paint using the PC/foam method, IME and IMO this facilitates a bond to the paint that last much longer than applying by hand. A second coat is wise, but you need to wait till the curing has off gassed most of the carriers, often solvents, or you will remove the first layer. In addition, application of the second or subsequent layers is best by hand to reduce "picking up" the first layer by the solvents. I give 48hr between coats, and I like to wipe down between each coat with FK425. If the conditions are warm and arid you can give 24hrs between.

The most common complaint is that Pseudo halos can show up when using this sealant. Cause is too thick of an application. Fix: allow to cure and then wipe down halos with FK425, or use a clean MF and wipe down at that time.

Its a great winter wax for many of my clients here in Utah. The clients like to use the touch free washes and the touch free, wash with harsher detergents than I use, and they get close to 5 months before the fk1000p no longer easily releases the dirty build ups. By then its time for me to spruce up the car for spring.....

Cheers,
    Greg
    Great info Greg, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering, what does mold release mean???
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Just wondering, what does mold release mean???
    In the plastic injection business, a mold release is a lubricant that is applied to the injection molds that helps the molded part to be ejected out of the tool easily. This is critical for parts (like complex ones) so they do not bind and deform (since they are still hot) as they come out of the mold. You can see it sometimes as splatter on molded parts.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

So I`m assuming you mean there`s lubricant in the wax to help preserve and make it spread easier?
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers,
    Greg

Here`s an alternate view: you can apply the 2nd coat right away according to Ron Ketcham...former FK employee.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ml#post1475522

He says to let it cure for 30 mins. He says you`ll then "break" the layer of wax on the entire panel, then go back and polish remaining residue away. Essentially 2 steps to remove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, when you buffed this wax off does it just buff off or does it kinda smear off? I used this on my car today and I have a feeling I didn`t do it right
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t seem to have a problem removing the fk1000 and it was a little on the humid side when I did the car. Per Ron`s instructions, I applied a thin coat by hand with a foam applicator and then took my DA and spread it thin all over - let it sit for 30 minutes. Wiped it off but wasn`t particular about it and re-applied a second coat using the same method. Waited another 30 minutes and this time wiped completely off by hand. I know some have had issues but it work just fine for me. Finished great - no complaints in fact it was part of a test I`m doing and so far, I prefer the fk1000 but it`s still early on. Did the whole procedure inside of my garage but again, it was rather warm and humid that day - low 80s in south FL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    I didn`t seem to have a problem removing the fk1000 and it was a little on the humid side when I did the car. Per Ron`s instructions, I applied a thin coat by hand with a foam applicator and then took my DA and spread it thin all over - let it sit for 30 minutes. Wiped it off but wasn`t particular about it and re-applied a second coat using the same method. Waited another 30 minutes and this time wiped completely off by hand. I know some have had issues but it work just fine for me. Finished great - no complaints in fact it was part of a test I`m doing and so far, I prefer the fk1000 but it`s still early on. Did the whole procedure inside of my garage but again, it was rather warm and humid that day - low 80s in south FL.
    How long did this end up lasting for you? I found FK1000P to be extremely long lasting!

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in the answer also on longevity of the wax. About a month ago I put 2 coats of this wax on and a week later I waxed the door jams and actually decided to put a 3rd coat on the whole car. I had some trouble getting the first coat off, the second was a little easier. The 3rd coat that I did the week later the car was cool and I had to warm the garage up to get it in the high 60`s. I never let it haze over 100% and it came off with ease. Nothing but rain the last couple weeks and the beading action is better than any of the standard wax I have used. Sheds great. I am really interested in the length of protection and hope to make it at least 4 months as it gets cold here and makes it hard to put more protection on.

Dean.

Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that Fk1000 lasts for at least 6 months on my black Audi here in NH. At least 6 mo. I also use FK425 after every wash so that might be helping the impression.

I once was a Blitz (summer) and Zaino (winter) fan, But now seem to just stay with FK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jester7677 View Post
    I find that Fk1000 lasts for at least 6 months on my black Audi here in NH. At least 6 mo. I also use FK1 after every wash so that might be helping the impression.

I once was a Blitz (summer) and Zaino (winter) fan, But now seem to just stay with FK.
    Hello jester7677,

Welcome to Autopia Forums!
    I do like the FK1000P paste sealant. However, i think this product has a slight learning curve, especially if you are used to OTC products that lets you apply a thick layer and still fine (such as Gold Class, NXT etc).

Dont ask how I figure out this...
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Todd, when you buffed this wax off does it just buff off or does it kinda smear off? I used this on my car today and I have a feeling I didn`t do it right
    Not when I did this car, but I have subsequently. There are times, due to environmental conditions or over application when FK requires a "second" buffing. As noted, a light wipe down with FK425 does wonders!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information