Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, a few days ago, I had come back from a trip and I saw that I had a pretty bad scratch on one of my rims. I have a BMW (if you havn`t already figured that out) with the sport package rims that are silver and clearcoat. The damage is more like a scratch than a gash. But, I can stick my finger nail in it. Anyway, it`s about one inch long. Too bad I don`t have a digital cam so I can show you guys. Maybe I will borrow my brothers and post it at a later date if that would help. Anyhow, what can I do for this? Honestly, i don`t want to spend the money on a professional job. Can I get touch up paint and clear coat paint and do it that way? And then wet sand it down till it`s smooth? Sheeeesh... I don`t know what to do. Any advice would be most helpful. Happy Holiday`s!!!! regards, Cliff

Post Thanks / Like

Failing Clear coat?

I have a vehicle that has been repainted sometime in it`s life with obvious signs of failing clear coat (chipping away, delamination, etc) on the hood and roof. The paint is also checking in the usual places 80`s Buicks are known to fail, so I know it was just layed down over the factory paint. Anyway, I know the paint is as good as dead and there is no fixing that, but I can get the what`s left of the paint on the sides and trunk to shine nicely (105, 205, BF GEP, and BFWD).

The problem I`m having is that even after I`m done the paint water spots extremely easily. My daily driver that is parked next to it most of the time, also with BFWD on it, does not have the same problem. So I`m thinking it is related to the dying paint. Is it normal for failing paint to water spot really easily?

What can I do to slow down the decay or at least help with the spotting issue? I`m thinking of trying a coating like Opti-Coat. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Meg Ult Wax claims to repel water instead of beading. That may help your spotting. I know that when I have used Collinite, which beads for a long time, I am more prone to spotting. It`s the double edged sword of the beading look we all desire.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Thread Information