Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I almost feel silly asking this, but here goes. I use Royal Velvet or Charisma towels to buff the polish off my car. I`ve seen people that sell these towels that are cut in half and "serge" sewed to prevent ravelling etc. What about the decorative strip on each end of the towel, about an inch wide area near each end of the towel that has kind of an embossed design. Will this area scratch your car? I`ve always avoided using the area of the towel with this on it, folding it under so it won`t touch the paint. It`s a pain to have to watch this and wastes towel surface area. What`s the opinion on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    that part of any towel isnt made of the same kinds of quality as the rest...i always cut it off....that way you dont lose surface area like your saying.....or just fold it like you`ve been doin....:up

BTW.........nobody said its easy to be an Autopian:p

Floni........the hardest part of being a true Autopian is dealing with the neighbors that think you are just a nut-case, spending so much of your time washing, polishing, tire dressing, etc in the driveway.
    I retired last year after selling my computer retail store and have since been happily making the neighbors wonder about me. I`m only 52, so most of them think I`m just a no good bum that sends the wife off to work every morning (OK, I probably just imagine they think that and, they are partly right). One of them actually called my wife to report that I had been in the driveway all day sanding the paint off my almost new looking Jeep Cherokee! My wife really enjoyed the call, as I had already attempted to explain to her that I was going to wet sand the whole Jeep to remove all the orange peel. BTW Floni - I remembered that you once remarked about the Photoshop-induced flag on the hood of the Jeep, so I attached one of the rear. Note: The Type R badging is actually on the Jeep, not Photoshopped like the flag. This was in response to my 15 year old son`s request for a "Type R" to drive to school (be careful what ya wish for kid). I meant it to be a temporary joke but after seeing the reaction from people that know what a Honda Type R is, I decided to leave it on a while. Import fans either get a good laugh or get PO`d and pass you as if you were racing, also usually accompanied by a one-finger salute. I love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Floni,

This place just wasn`t the same without you!

I use the narrow strip between the "beauty band" and the ends of the towel as applicators for tire dressing, or use them once to clean my wheel wells and then toss them.

Hey, I like that "Beauty Band". I hope it`s OK that I use that term when talking to some of my other friends that enjoy detailing. They`ll be green with envy if they think I got one on `em that they didn`t know! Thanks Floni & Intermezzo330i for the info on the towels! I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Import fans either get a good laugh or get PO`d and pass you as if you were racing, also usually accompanied by a one-finger salute. I love it!
    [/B]</blockquote>
    Hey, dont ever use the designation "Type R" in vain again! Is this the one finger salute you normally get?

Alright, all jokes aside, I love it when some of the list grandpas know how to make fun of us youngins. This is the only one finger salute I`ll give... :up

The Type R thing is all for the cause of humor, believe me, I`m not an "import hater" or anything like that! As a matter of fact, I`m going to Albequerque (I bet I misspelled that!) from Omaha in the next couple days to pick up a `93 Prelude VTEC I bought for my son. My son-in-law runs the bodyshop in a Honda dealership here and we`re going to repaint it black (it`s black now but a bit faded from the NM sun) and it will be color-sanded in between each coat of paint and clear coat so there will be zero orange peel. My son wanted a Mustang GT but the wife put the brakes on that one because of the performance issue with the GT. I intend to tell her VTEC stands for "Very Tame Engine Certification".

Post Thanks / Like
    DLW: You are a funny guy. And dont worry, I love Type R humor. And yes, VTEC does stand for that! At least, that is what I tell my insurance agent

All bow down to VTEC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Type-r stuff...i can count the # of cars in the bronx that dont have that sticker...usually a early 90`s Honda hatchback type....i love it.....:p .the flag is awesome dood...photoshop or not.nice........the middle salute had me rolling outta my chair..........Inter.........u hit it right on the head dood....thats exactly what i use it for......dressing buffing and wheel wells....also.when im drying the car......in the door jams...the first pass i make to fry the nooks ans stuff is with that....then i follow with a MF....then just toss it...after the wheel wells that piece a towe is usually shot............good info guys...and good laughs..........man i miss this stuff:up

Post Thanks / Like

Post Greeting, salutations & questions!

Hello TID forum.

I`ve been snooping around for quite some time. Observing. Watching. Waiting. Its nice to see a bunch of people who know what they are talking about that are even more obsessed about car care than I am... Kudos to all.

Ive got a few questions that i couldnt find alot of answers on through searching, so I figured why not ask...?

But first, a little about me, my car and what I have been using...

I`ve had an `09 Audi A5 (meteor grey) for the past 2 years, and i keep her off the street in a public lot. (decent sized private garages for rent are hard to find aound by me, and I, like most NY`ers live in an appt.) I have only 1 place that i trust to take my car to for washing (by hand of course)that actually gets the job done. I have also been using the Zaino line for most all my needs (AIO, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z8, Z-CS) since i got her. I also apply everything by hand, since i dont have easy access to an electrical outlet where i park for a porter cable and the like...

Damned NY summers are usually really humid... come to think of it... its fairly humid even in winter as well. I adjusted to the learning curve of the Zaino soon after getting it, but even at best with ZFX, i find that i have to wait for a good 3-4 hours for it to properly dry enough to buff off. While i do like the look & durability, I`m kinda getting tired of its finicky nature (being so temp / humidity sensitive).

So... For more than 1 reason, I`ve been thinking for quite some time about revamping my arsenal... the main reason being that in the near future i will be upgrading to an S5 in deep sea blue... I`d like to start off the right way with a brand new factory finish. the 2nd reason being that I am tired of trying to convince myself that my car is getting shinier and better looking after umteen coats of Z5 & Z2...

SO... here is what I am thinking of, along with questions...

I`ve read enough reviews & seen enough pictures of BFWD that i have been sold on it and I`ll be ordering it very shortly. possibly right after i make this totally awesome intrductory post. (nice thread btw on buff`fest `09)

Is any of the zaino line compatible with BFWD? I`d rather not throw it away...

will they layer together?

Will Z6 or Z8 between coats of BFWD help / hinder curing / cross linking of either?

will Z-CS adhere to BFWD?

I`m thinking of using the Z-CS on the front grille, since its plastic & chrome... thoughts?

For the wheels, is there anything better than BFWD to seal them? (this may be a matter of opinion i guess...)

ONR... i`ve read the reviews and seen the vids etc... it interests me as I may actaully be able to use something like this on my own, given my lack of regular access to a hose. Does ONR have any compatibility issues with BFWD? or anything else for that matter?

I`ve seen its becoming popular to put a wax over a sealant, ala midnight sun over BFWD... since a layer of sealant wont adhere to wax, what can be done to take wax OFF of a car without taking the sealant off in the process... i.e. if i want to add another coat of BFWD when i put a coat of wax on a couple of weeks earlier?

I`m thinking of ordering some new higher end MF towels when i get the BFWD... any recommendations? i was thinking the megs yellow 1 or the big blue...

How about a cleaner / soap to clean them with after use?

any recommendations for a hand app pad? i usually use the cheapo foam or mf/sponge applicators...

Thats all i can think of right now...

Thanks in advance for reading this short / sweet introductory questionaire...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIM_NYC View Post
    Hello TID forum.
    Is any of the zaino line compatible with BFWD? I`d rather not throw it away...

will they layer together?

Will Z6 or Z8 between coats of BFWD help / hinder curing / cross linking of either?

will Z-CS adhere to BFWD?

I`m thinking of using the Z-CS on the front grille, since its plastic & chrome... thoughts?

For the wheels, is there anything better than BFWD to seal them? (this may be a matter of opinion i guess...)

ONR... i`ve read the reviews and seen the vids etc... it interests me as I may actaully be able to use something like this on my own, given my lack of regular access to a hose. Does ONR have any compatibility issues with BFWD? or anything else for that matter?

I`ve seen its becoming popular to put a wax over a sealant, ala midnight sun over BFWD... since a layer of sealant wont adhere to wax, what can be done to take wax OFF of a car without taking the sealant off in the process... i.e. if i want to add another coat of BFWD when i put a coat of wax on a couple of weeks earlier?

I`m thinking of ordering some new higher end MF towels when i get the BFWD... any recommendations? i was thinking the megs yellow 1 or the big blue...

How about a cleaner / soap to clean them with after use?

any recommendations for a hand app pad? i usually use the cheapo foam or mf/sponge applicators...

Thats all i can think of right now...

Thanks in advance for reading this short / sweet introductory questionaire...
    Welcome to TID SKIM_NYC. This is a great place to learn from, with some great detailers.

Now for your questions.
    BFWD is a great product. It has amazing slickness and wetness. Very good durability as well. It is compatable with just about anything, Zaino included. I am not sure if the Z6 and Z8 will help, but it won`t hurt.

I really don`t know anything about Z-CS, so I can`t help you with that one.

As for the wheels, you will get many different responses to this one. I have used BFWD, Blackfire Metal Sealant, Optimum Opti-Seal, Wheel Wax, and many others. They are all good to use on your wheels, but nothing will repell break dust. They will however make it easier to clean the wheels the next time you wash the car. I personnaly like Wheel Wax the best.

ONR is a product that every detailer needs in their arsonal. It has many uses as well. You can use it as a no rince wash, a clay lube, a QD, and add it to water as a water softener. There are no problems with ONR and BFWD or any other product for that matter. If you don`t have regular access to a hose, ONR is a MUST.

The only way to strip off a wax and not a sealant is to wash it a bunch of times. Since wax is not as durable as a sealant, it will come off in time. If you use a product to strip your LSP, it will strip the sealant as well. There really is no need to top BFWD, as there is not much out there that will improve on the looks of BFWD. Midnight Sun, will give it a bit more warmth, but it will take away a bit of the slickness. It does look great together though. Remember, a wax does not offer much for durability. If you wanted to top the BFWD for a NY winter, I would use Collinite 845IW. It is one of the most durable products out there and looks very nice over BFWD.

As for the MF towels, anything that PAC sells is top quality. You can clean them in regular laundry detergent (liquid only), and never use fabric softeners or dryer sheets. They also make poducts that PAC sells that are made for your MF towels.

If you want a great hand applicator I would suggest the Lake Country Euro Foam Hand Applicators.
    http://www.properautocare.com/euhapoap.html

Wow, that was a long answer.:-?

If you call Angelo at PAC, he will help you with any needs you may have.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TruthInDetailing. Hope to see you around :partaaay2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for the welcome and the quick responses.

BFWD on the way...

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome SKIM

Barry answered all your questions i beleive :biggrin:

Although Ive only used the BFWD once I can tell you its the slickest nicest product Ive probably ever used and easy to apply and take off too:thumbup:

Im on the west coast and grew up in the east . I do not miss the snow!! :FrostyC

Post Thanks / Like
    I started on BFWD and was super impressed with everything about it. Then I was curious about the Zaino products. Tried them and liked them but way too finicky with humidity, too time consuming and IMHO had the same end results as BFWD. I`m fully back to BFWD but will continue to use Z6 & Z8 with BFWD. I don`t use Midnight Sun as I found no need and was never crazy about waxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information