Post Thanks / Like

Products for neglected paint?

Hi All,
    I have a 98 Toyota land cruiser that has been really abused in the paint department. It has been scratched, pooped on, repainted with single stage on some panels, others have factory paint, some areas are thick, some are thin. There is some DEEP etching on the hood which will not go away without re-painting.

I dont need a show car shine or anything, and i know people generally like finishes that dont have fillers. But for this car it doesnt really matter. Ill probably throw a light polish at the paint to get some of the lighter swirls, but whats the best product to fill/hide as many of the deeper issues? Preferably something that requires little maintenance.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products for neglected paint?

If you just want something quick with good results and not chasing deeper defects I`d go with HD Speed, very user friendly, loooooong work time and leaves some protection behind which you can top with something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for the response. HD speed was the product i was planning on using for the light polish, but I was hoping there is something that hides problems like etching, swirls, etc. better than others. I think i have read these as being products with "filler"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anhizer View Post
    I was hoping there is something that hides problems like etching, swirls, etc. better than others. I think i have read these as being products with "filler"
    IME (and I do use the old 1Z WaxPolishSoft on a vehicle that`s both imperfect and cannot be corrected any more for just that reason) products that contain fillers and are supposed to conceal flaws just don`t do that very well.

Stuff that might still work for you along those lines might be the old Meguiar`s M9 Swirl Remover v2.0 (gotta top it, and it doesn`t hide much for long anyway by my standards but it`s OTC lots of places) or the seldom-mentioned AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I can think of that is supposed to hide defects pretty well is Sonax Perfect Finish, but you have to use it with a machine...
    Then there is a new product - Car Pro Essence that is supposed to be really good and hides some stuff and leaves a lot of protection behind...
    You need a machine to use this one also...

Now, some defects will never be hidden by any product because they are so big and bad...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish 4/6 1000 ml. has done some pretty WOW type correction and fill for me. Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze 16 oz. fills really well (Review: CG Glossworkz Glaze). Would need protection on top of either. Optimum Spray Wax is my product of choice in that role.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, thanks for the responses. Ill look into the suggestions. I do have a machine (harbor freight cheapie) that works ok for me.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    That was you! Your review! I read that one several times when I first joined Autopia. I was looking at glazes. THANKS for that review
    Likes mjlinane liked this post
    Thanks mjlinane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

great review of the CGGG -that looks like exactly what im after. Do you think FK2000p would be OK on top of that sort of glaze? I have it (and a few other selections) already on hand.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post
    Thanks mjlinane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Normally on glazes I would use a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Normally on glazes I would use a wax.
    Why ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Waxes stick to sealants. Sealants don`t always stick to waxes or sealants. That is fine if you are layering but, in this case, you do want the protection. CG glazes have sealant-like properties.

Also, per the Optimum Synergy Podcast, Optimum Car Wax will also replace some of the lost UV protection in older paint and it is easy to apply plus has excellent longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, interesting to hear (positive comments) about some products that *do* apparently do some concealing.

I too find that waxes are a lot more foolproof over glazes/etc. and/but FWIW I`ve had FK1000P bond fine to all sorts of stuff despite generally being considered a "paste sealant". Haven`t tried it over anything really oily but it bonds fine to the 1Z WPS which I sure didn`t expect.

Thread Information