Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Winter Faceoff

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Impressive that the Collinite products outdid FK1000, as many reports say the opposite.
    Honestly, it`s a really close call. The beading looks better on the Collinite 476s than the FK1000P but not the sheeting. Collinite also has less bonded contaminants but still has plenty.

I still like FK1000P more because it looks better on my color paint but on another color I`d try 476s.
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    I really appreciate you performing this comparison... I`ve been following along since the beginning, and the info sold me on FK1000p.

Great work!
    Honestly, you can`t go wrong with any of these products, but I will say FK1000P looked the best after application but maybe that`s just my bias (FK1000p is what`d I`d apply if I enter a car show).

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting how experiencess can differ. The Collinite vs. FK1000P comparison must somehow boil down to individual circumstances where different users will get different results (same with the KSG, though I`d always use more than 2-3 layers).

That said, I am surprised by Collinite lasting longer as it simply *never* worked that way IME, let alone with 845 (which I found far less durable than 476S).
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Interesting how experiencess can differ. The Collinite vs. FK1000P comparison must somehow boil down to individual circumstances where different users will get different results (same with the KSG, though I`d always use more than 2-3 layers).

That said, I am surprised by Collinite lasting longer as it simply *never* worked that way IME, let alone with 845 (which I found far less durable than 476S).
    As for the 845 is on the roof has very low exposure to salt, road grime, etc. so it hardly counts when compared to the other high exposure panels. It was more of a personal interest to see how rarely I could get away with applying LSP on the roof.

I will admit I had a little Accumulator bird on my shoulder as I wrote, and it was tricky to put the results into words (especially a week after I took the pictures and videos). To explain the results I think it`s important to take into account that I neglected the paint much more than most (I hope all) Autopians ever would (especially yourself, Accumulator). I think if I had maintained the finish better the results may have been different. I also noticed the touchless machine washes affected all of the LSP`s (save for the coating) to some degree and caused the panels to become "hazy" (if you will), some more so than others (I didn`t really account for this).

None the less I learned a lot doing this test even if the results might be skewed by my method. I`m now able to improve my product testing for next time (take more variables into account, prior to starting, so I can plan accordingly).

Post Thanks / Like

4u2nvinmtl- Yeah, that`s a good point about how the roof can be low-exposure for some folks (and, I`m sure, *high*-exposure for others). I hardly ever have to redo the roof of the Tahoe, not annually by any means.

I dunno if you really neglect it worse than I do the Tahoe though...that`d be saying something! Though mine`s garaged and I bet that makes a big difference, along with your use of the Touchless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    As for the 845 is on the roof has very low exposure to salt, road grime, etc. so it hardly counts when compared to the other high exposure panels. It was more of a personal interest to see how rarely I could get away with applying LSP on the roof.

I will admit I had a little Accumulator bird on my shoulder as I wrote, and it was tricky to put the results into words (especially a week after I took the pictures and videos). To explain the results I think it`s important to take into account that I neglected the paint much more than most (I hope all) Autopians ever would (especially yourself, Accumulator). I think if I had maintained the finish better the results may have been different. I also noticed the touchless machine washes affected all of the LSP`s (save for the coating) to some degree and caused the panels to become "hazy" (if you will), some more so than others (I didn`t really account for this).

None the less I learned a lot doing this test even if the results might be skewed by my method. I`m now able to improve my product testing for next time (take more variables into account, prior to starting, so I can plan accordingly).
    This has been great to follow and thanks for the updates!

One thing I notice with the sealants I use is that in the winter time the hood and roof seem to last the longest. This is basing my findings on beads that it. I know that may not be a true indication but visually it`s the best we have. Like you said the roof has the least exposure. My side panels get hammered by salt and grime and lose beading the quickest.

Now in the summer time I have the exact opposite findings. The hood and roof go first. Probably from the sun beating down. The sides last the longest in summer.

So many variables.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    4u2nvinmtl- Yeah, that`s a good point about how the roof can be low-exposure for some folks (and, I`m sure, *high*-exposure for others). I hardly ever have to redo the roof of the Tahoe, not annually by any means.

I dunno if you really neglect it worse than I do the Tahoe though...that`d be saying something! Though mine`s garaged and I bet that makes a big difference, along with your use of the Touchless.
    This is one battle I`ll gladly concede to. Your Tahoe is dirtier than my SRT8

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Update:

It was snowing this morning but by the time I returned home from work it had turned to rain, anyways I got some great natural beading shots (7 days after I last washed/detailed it).

DFF – KAIO topped with 2 layers of KSG <- Applied ~4.5 months ago

DRD – 2 layers of KSG <- Applied ~4.5 months ago

DRF – 2 layers of DG601 & DG105 at a 1:4 Ratio <- Applied ~4.5 months ago

PFF – 2 layers of FK-1000p <- Applied ~4.5 months ago

PRD – 2 layers of FK-1000p <-Applied ~4.5 months ago

PRF – 2 layers of Collinite 476s <- Applied ~4.5 months ago

Hood – 1 layer of WG Uber <- Applied ~5.5 months ago

Roof – 1 layer of Collinite 845 <- Applied ~1 year ago

845 came back from the dead, lol...

Note: I havent touched the paint since I last washed (no topers, no detailing sprays, nada).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this!

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious if you have any thickness readings after you compounded the orange peel away. I have some I would love to get rid of but not at the risk of clear coat failure. Great test btw, appreciate you turning your vehicle into a real world test subject lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    Just curious if you have any thickness readings after you compounded the orange peel away. I have some I would love to get rid of but not at the risk of clear coat failure. Great test btw, appreciate you turning your vehicle into a real world test subject lol.
    From thread: Orange Peel removal on 09 JeeP SRT8

Without further ado here are the results from the paint thickness test (in microns):
    - Hood 148-173
    - Driver side front fender 132-212
    - Drivers side front door (bottom) 200-280 (top) 265-303
    - Drivers side back door 152-181
    - Drivers side rear fender 154-180
    - Passengers side front fender 212-320
    - Passengers side front door 175-200
    - Passengers side back door 166-200
    - Passengers side back fender 154-185
    - Back hatch 250-300
    FYI: the detailing technician took 3-5 readings per panel
    Likes BSkip333 liked this post