Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Winter Faceoff

Hood – 1 layer of WG Uber applied 2 months ago

This panel is a mixed bag and performs above average. It stayed clean for the first week and looked good on the first few drives in bad weather. This panel gets a little less spray because of the way the air flows over the hood but the leading edge gets hammered. Snow and mud tends to get flung onto the hood when letting the SRT8 rip in the snow. Road grime only accumulated on the leading edge shortly after the first storm. The beading and sheeting exhibited by this panel never tapers off.

After a 2 bucket wash the panel was looking perfect. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel. As you can see in the photos below this panel beads water very nicely once washed.

After a quick dry the panel reflects like glass. Even compared to the neighboring panels, it’s more reflective.

Here’s a video I took while rising this panel off during the wash one month after application. I meant to follow up with a clean panel beading video but the battery died…

Post Thanks / Like

Roof – 1 layer of Collinite 845 applied 8 months ago

This panel is in a league of it’s own because it started this whole test idea in the first place. Collinite 845 stays clean for about three weeks at a time regardless of weather. This panel gets almost no spray because of the way the air flows over the roof. I’ve never seen road grime accumulate on the roof regardless of LSP. The beading and sheeting tapers off in-between washes but comes back strong once washed.

After a 2 bucket wash the panel was looking good. I did notice some marring and scratches on the roof that have been there since the branches fell on the roof this summer. As you can see in the photos below this panel beads water very nicely once washed.

Here’s a video I took while rising this panel off during the wash one month after application.
    Likes 512detail, Mp0wer, 04accord, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks 512detail, Mp0wer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing how things go over (even more) time.

So there`s no trouble on the horizontal surfaces with that whatever-from-trees/animals this time of year?
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    So there`s no trouble on the horizontal surfaces with that whatever-from-trees/animals this time of year?
    Wait a second, I owe you the thanks/koodos for recommending the FK1000P and the Collinite 476s

Well, now that I`m parked inside a Tempo (car tent) the tree is out of the equation for the time being (not allowed to keep the Tempo up after May). When not parked inside the Tempo the coating seems to hold up to the stuff from the tree above it just messes with the beading and sheeting until I wash it (bonded surface contaminants easily released by Meg`s Hyper wash). I still think it was a good idea to coat the hood, specifically. Depending on how Uber perform over the course of winter, I might just coat my whole Jeep in spring and experiment with topping it with a Wax/Sealant (looking at that jar of Fuzion still sitting on the shelf unused).

Photo of the "Tempo":

*Silly laws dictate I must install the Tempo in my back yard (behind the front-most brick of the house) so I have to shovel the entire driveway (heck of a work out).

The hardest part was putting myself out there on YouTube, to be honest (YouTube commenters are not as friendly/respectful as Autopian`s).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update John!! My FK1000 hasn`t been hit as hard as yours with the weather since I applied the 3rd coat in October (first 2 applied in July) and it`s still behaving like the day I put it on.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah...forgot about the Tempo
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That tempo is worth every penny. Put a plow on that jeep .

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah...forgot about the Tempo
    It is rather unsightly I know. I was thinking about putting some Christmas lights or something in the Tempo.

We might buy this place and build a nice garage and fix it up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Great test!!! Thanks for putting in the time and work!

Now that I will be moving back to Boston at the end of the month I think I will be adding 476s back into the lineup.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

good stuff on this. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite power!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Collinite power!
    A little enthusiastic are we. You should be as Collinite and a number of others have longevity that is very respectable. Thanks to the OP for doing this.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be posting another update this weekend as the LSP start to hit the two-month mark.

I let it get real dirty again and did a bit more highway driving this time around. Also, the temperature has really been dropping so it will be interesting to see if the results remain the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it`d be just *TOO* UN-Autopian, but I`d be interested to hear how FK1000P works for others if left unwashed for a truly extended period of time. I`ve left bugs on it for *months* (put the Crown Vic away for the winter without washing it) with no problems (like etching) at all, and I wouldn`t like to say how long I`ll let the Tahoe goe between washes

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it`d be just *TOO* UN-Autopian, but I`d be interested to hear how FK1000P works for others if left unwashed for a truly extended period of time. I`ve left bugs on it for *months* (put the Crown Vic away for the winter without washing it) with no problems (like etching) at all, and I wouldn`t like to say how long I`ll let the Tahoe goe between washes
    These last 1.5 months have been the fewest times I`ve washed my car (twice in 6 weeks)... I`m not sure whether washing less often or more often has much of an effect on these LSP`s. If anything, I`m starting to think weekly washes strip more LSP than no wash at all (just an assumption basied on the results I`m seeing with this test).

Accumulator, what are you thoughts on 476s VS FK1000P? I ask because 476s really impresses me a lot (this being my first time using it).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information