View Poll Results: Which wax would YOU use?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wax 1

11 28.95%
  • Wax 2

11 28.95%
  • Wax 3

11 28.95%
  • Wax 4

2 5.26%
  • Wax 5

3 7.89%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 Way Wax Test / Blind Survey

JustJesus- Noting that this is from memory (and I read the pamphlet a few decades ago!), no..they didn`t mention the two-bucket approach but rather...get this...said to wash with plain water! I noted at the time that this is the same [crappy] advice that was in my `85 Jag`s owner`s manual.

What`s got you so turned on with the M16? The crayola-crayons scent perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Applying the M16 via machine really facilitates its "the paste wax that turns liquid" characteristic. If applying by hand, a little more work than normal can accomplish the same thing, but !oh man! is that THE paste wax to do via machine IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ...said to wash with plain water!
    Huh. I don`t recall it saying anything about plain water. And I don`t have an excellent memory like you, so I`ll go back to the booklet to check.

What`s got you so turned on with the M16? The crayola-crayons scent perhaps?

Is *that* what that scent is?

I gotta say, it`s the best "shine" I`ve seen on the Yaris. Part of this 5 way test was to see if I could actually *see* a difference in waxes. This test showed that I could put a cheap wax next to one that`s like 4-5 times as much, and see no difference.

With M16, I see a difference. I asked my gf to pick a side (M16 vs FK1000p) and why. She picked M16, noting it looked a bit more crisp and a bit darker. Myself, I found it to have more clarity plus it had a more "wet" look to it. *SHE* also pointed out that the FK1000p side was dusting more. Love that girl.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Yeah, it`s great when the Significant Other spots those presumably subtle LSP diffs!

I do find your M16 vs FK1000P findings, uhm...surprising, though the "darker" makes sense. Hey, that`s why there`s no one LSP that`s best for everybody.

If I can find my old copy of the Malm`s booklet I`ll see how my memory was regarding that "wash with plain water". I really want to hear how you find Malms vs. M16!

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Applying the M16 via machine really facilitates its "the paste wax that turns liquid" characteristic. If applying by hand, a little more work than normal can accomplish the same thing, but !oh man! is that THE paste wax to do via machine IMO.

Huh.. I think I was replying to your other post when you posted this. I didn`t see it before. Paste that turns to liquid, you say. That should be interesting. I haven`t machine applied a wax, yet. Good time to try? LOL

If I can find my old copy of the Malm`s booklet I`ll see how my memory was regarding that "wash with plain water". I really want to hear how you find Malms vs. M16!
    That booklet...you were so right about it being good for a chuckle. -- I`m a bit anxious to try Malms. Do you recall the durability in your own experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    That booklet...you were so right about it being good for a chuckle. -- I`m a bit anxious to try Malms. Do you recall the durability in your own experience?
    Sorry, I used it back in the days when I was rewaxing all the time whether necessary or not. All I remember from that is that it layers (at least if you wait between coats), after enough applications it was significantly harder to get off when starting over from bare paint.

FWIW, just rambling...Their polish(es) weren`t bad for the time, and I got my first Cyclo through Malm`s (still has the "Malm`s" sticker on it three decades later).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    That [Malm`s]booklet...you were so right about it being good for a chuckle...
    OK, found mine, copyrighted 1986.

There`s some great info in it, including how you can use their wax on exterior plastic and rubber (that`s when I started doing it on my Jag).

There`s some no-so-great info in it, including:
    "DON`T use detergent when washing..."

The short version is that you`re supposed to just keep flooding the car with water until that softens up all the dirt and then use a mitt to dislodge the rest of the dirt. "Wash the mitt out when finished". Other tidbits are along the lines of "Detergents will strip the oils out the paint the same way shampoo strips the oils out of your hair" and so on. I actually crossed out those paragraphs in the booklet and filled in correct info in the margins because I was afraid somebody in the shop (my father, or one of the employees) might read that stuff and mess something up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great test JustJesus. Really enjoyed reading through the weeks and observations from everyone. It`s funny how well you can see the differences when wet but almost impossible *to me looking in my phone* when dry.

I actually asked blackfire midnight sun for Christmas now I`m wishing I had asked for Pete`s as well!

Anyway thanks again, great read. I`d love to see you do a second 5 wax test, or even just three so the areas are bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Wow, great test JustJesus. Really enjoyed reading through the weeks and observations from everyone. It`s funny how well you can see the differences when wet but almost impossible *to me looking in my phone* when dry.
    Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it. Unfortunately, the intermittent rain here ended the testing a bit early. I can tell you, though, that even up close in person, it really is difficult to see any differences! (Pete`s was the most noticeable. It seemed to lighten the black ever so slightly)

I actually asked blackfire midnight sun for Christmas now I`m wishing I had asked for Pete`s as well!
    AW MAN. Too bad I wasn`t aware of your Christmas wish list! I would have given you a good deal on a new can of the Midnight Sun. (I have an extra). BUT, PM me your address, and I`ll send you a sample of Pete`s.

Anyway thanks again, great read. I`d love to see you do a second 5 wax test, or even just three so the areas are bigger.
    I have other waxes in line already. Just waiting for the rain to go away. [sigh] it could be a while. Thanks for reading/watching!
    - Jesus
    Likes Ronkh, FIDOAG14 liked this post
    Thanks FIDOAG14 thanked for this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information