Post Thanks / Like

LSP -> FK-1000p serious question

Lately, I`ve been trying out a lot of different LSP`s. I finally tried the highly suggested FK-1000p and I like it a lot (the most)! The only thing that`s been odd is that bug`s -fly`s in particular- are attracted to my car with this LSP!

At first I figured it`s because I moved 2 blocks from the Saint Lawrence River and there`s just more insects (shed flys and mosquitos) and I`m now parking outside (not a garage queen anymore). So I put it to the test and parked outside my old house (walking distance for work). I went back to check on my SRT8 on lunch and found no less than 15 and as many as 25 flys sitting on the paint , no other cars had any flys on them... Unfortunately, I didn`t have my smartphone with me to take pictures (wife broke it last night).

Is there something up with this LSP that fly`s like? I just hope they aren`t eating the LSP or laying eggs in it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP -> FK-1000p serious question

I have never had any luck with the white shark 4 me it`s like cement hard to put on and even harder to remove

Post Thanks / Like

4u2nvinmtl- Huh, I`ve *never* had that happen! I have had othe LSPs (waxes) attract bugs, but not the FK1000P. Oh man, and here you were so happy with it...

Mbkite- I`ve only had the "hard FK1000P" happen with a little sample tin, never with the big can. Wonder what they`d say if you called `em up. My current tin (which I`ve had for ages) isn`t hard at all and goes on/off quite easily, so I can`t help but wonder if you got a bad one and what they might offer to do about it.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mbkite View Post
    I have never had any luck with the white shark 4 me it`s like cement hard to put on and even harder to remove
    Wow. The complete opposite of my experience with FK1KP.
    1/2 turn of an applicator pad in the tin easily covers a panel. Comes off just as easily as the liquid sealants I`ve used (DG111, Z2Pro).
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I cant wait to try my sample of fk1000p Just need a weekend day off work hopefully my white car fairs better with the bugs

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I got home there was some waiting when I came back out to check with the camera... I did a photoshot after detailing and I had to fight them off the paint LOL I`ll post the picture once I get to it (still post processing).

Post Thanks / Like

This is the picture I took after 15 minutes of the car being parked outside. There was a group of guys from Abu Dhabi (where I happened to be taking my pictures). They had a blue 2015 Range Rover Sport SVR,a Skyline GTR, and a Jaguar XKR-S! They remarked how clean my Jeep was and they said "our cars are clean, but yours is cleaner. How?" LOL... They didn`t have any fly`s on their cars where as I did. Anyways here`s the picture:

I`ve never seen anything like it...
    Likes RaysWay, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s another picture where you can really see a lot of flys on the car, I call this shot lord of the flys...

I circled them in yellow for visibility. Luckily I can photoshop them out but it kinda defeats the purpose of detailing when I could just digitally clean the car LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

4u2nvinmtl- That`s just too weird about the bugs...wonder if using something lke FK425/FK146/IUDJ as a drying aid will fix it.

silver2kws6- If your sample is one of the little tins, then see if it`s soft or hard. If it`s *really* hard you can soften it up a bit with FK425 if you happen to have that on hand. With any luck it`ll be nice and soft.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    4u2nvinmtl- That`s just too weird about the bugs...wonder if using something lke FK425/FK146/IUDJ as a drying aid will fix it.

silver2kws6- If your sample is one of the little tins, then see if it`s soft or hard. If it`s *really* hard you can soften it up a bit with FK425 if you happen to have that on hand. With any luck it`ll be nice and soft.
    I used UWWP as a drying aid and have been for quite some time (no bug issues). I ended up skipping the 3rd coat of FK- 1000P during yesterday`s detail as some people said it might need at least one wash after LSP application to reduce the fly issue (no luck). No Accumulator comments on my detailing post, I must have done something wrong (j/k)? I`ll live with the flys as long as they aren`t eating the LSP or laying eggs in it. Still the best looking LSP on my car so far...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    ...No Accumulator comments on my detailing post, I must have done something wrong (j/k)?
    You mean the one with the before/after pics? OK...Looking Good!

To be honest, I just don`t post on threads like that all that often. You *do* take good pics!

I will say that I myself would never use those "Muppet" style mitts, but as long as you don`t get any wash-induced marring then to each their own

Post Thanks / Like

You mean the one with the before/after pics? OK...Looking Good!
    My ego complex isn`t satisfied without the Accumulator (and/or Ronkh) stamp of approval, J/K - ROFL!

To be honest, I just don`t post on threads like that all that often. You *do* take good pics!
    I should hope I take good pictures I was into photography for a few years. Way before I knew about two buckets one car (yes, pun intended).

I will say that I myself would never use those "Muppet" style mitts, but as long as you don`t get any wash-induced marring then to each their own
    ...So other than boars hair brushes what would you recommend I use (Wookies fist)? I do have some natural hair brushes, but I find they take forever to clean anything other than grills and emblem. I don`t think get any scratches or any wash induced marring, and if I do it is not visible to me (not sure what marring even looks like, TBH -Seriously). The only thing I`ve seen that looked like scratches/marring was left over FK-1000P I missed - I was OMG someone hit my car! Then it wiped away...

I`d like to see a video of how you use the brushes because I`ve tried them with the foam gun (not the cannon/lance) and I`m not ambidextrous enough to be efficient (wacked the hose on the paint A few times holding the foam gun in my left). How long does a regular detail take you with brushes or have you moved on to something new?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    ..I should hope I take good pictures I was into photography for a few years. Way before I knew about two buckets one car (yes, pun intended)...
    Well, I was *seriously* into photography back in the days of film (multiple lightmeter readings, had all the zone calcs memorized/etc.) but I still find it challenging to take good pics of cars in the Autopian sense. Not that I`ve tried since forever...

...So other than boars hair brushes what would you recommend I use (Wookies fist)? I do have some natural hair brushes, but I find they take forever to clean anything other than grills and emblem. I don`t think get any scratches or any wash induced marring, and if I do it is not visible to me (not sure what marring even looks like, TBH -Seriously)...
    Well, heh heh, marring looks like marring You know, light swirls and scratches. But now don`t go getting all Autopian and look for problems you don`t know you have! With any luck you *don`t* have them anyhow since FK1000P cleans up so easily and you don`t let it get too dirty between washes (unlike Yours Truly).

I just prefer the "lots of small strands" as opposed to "fewer thick strands" when it comes to wash media. Again, that`s just me and plenty of people like the Muppets.

*VERY* plush mitts give me pause as I worry about dirt getting stuck in them rather then letting the foamgun flush it away.

Yeah, the BHBs *ARE* very gentle...so gentle they don`t even hurt the dirt Takes several passes and even then I do a follow-up with a mitt once the BHBs get the "big stuff" off. But they rinse clean *so* easily that with the foamgun I`m not dragging dirt across the paint.

How long does a regular detail take you with brushes or have you moved on to something new?
    Still using the BHBs followed by a mitt, or *occasionally* followed by a Garry Dean-style wash with IUDJ and very plush MFs if the car wasn`t very dirty to start with. Big change was incorporating a (very cheap/weak) pressure washer as the first step.

Oh man, a regular maintenance wash takes me *hours* (four or five is about average), BUT..remember that I spend forever on the undercarriage/jambs/engine compartment etc. The Tahoe I can slide under with a creeper, but the cars get put up with jacks/stands twice and that takes time. Then there`s lots of work with different brushes and many swabs; it`s often more than my pals in the Jag Club do for a concours prep. BUT#2..the actual "regular part of the wash" goes pretty fast. I have boosted water pressure that lets the foamgun basically rinse the BHB clean while I wash (zero dirt in rinse buckets, which I do use just for my peace of mind) and along those lines I`ve learned what corners are safe for me to cut and which aren`t.

When I wash "just garage dust" off something that`s been mothballed for the season I bet that`s similar to most people`s maintenance washes. That "regular type of wash" (no undercarriage/etc.) takes under two hours if I work very fast as long as I don`t go nuts over something that catches my eye.

I`d like to see a video of how you use the brushes because I`ve tried them with the foam gun (not the cannon/lance) and I`m not ambidextrous enough to be efficient (wacked the hose on the paint A few times holding the foam gun in my left).
    Heh heh, there won`t be any online videos from me in this lifetime, for a lot of reasons

I`d used BHBs since the `80s, so I`m pretty used to that part of it (don`t press hard enough to bend the bristles!). Just figuring out how to hold wash media can take a little thought and practice (e.g., mitts- fill with wash solution, hold shut at cuff, whisk across paint = awkward at first even without the foamgun being involved).

The "BHB or mitt in one hand/foamgun in the other" does take a little practice! Replacing the foamgun`s pistol-grip with a shutoff valve (plastic, operate it with your thumb) makes it a *LOT* easier IME. Eh, the two-handed stuff just takes some concentration and practice. IMO the big thing is to *THINK* about it and work mindfully...none of that "oh how complicated can it be?!? don`t overthink it!" crap, if it were easy nobody would be polishing on a regular basis.

Thread Information