Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite selector guide

OK…… So Im putting on the 1000p and i get "in the paste wax zone" and did my whole 4Runner except for the half of the hood that has the 476s on it for comparison. I find it a bit of a pain to work with and I kept having to spray water on my Viking applicator. once i did that wipe off was smooth and easier. Its a double edge sword doing a silver SUV as you can`t see if you missed a spot and you can`t see if you didn`t .

Post Thanks / Like

Fallz- I`ll be interested to hear how it works for you, given that YMMV thing. If you find the 476S lasts longer I`ll add you to the "different results" list! So far I can only think of one...maybe two...people who`ve had that happen.

FWIW, I seldom have any application issues, but when I do I use FK425 on the applicator.

Guess I`m just used to not seeing my LSPs when I apply, been doing silver/etc. vehicles for so long I don`t *expect* to see it and figure I used too much if I do.

EDIT: Just saw your previous post...see how experiences differ?!? I think that even on silver/etc. the Fk1000P and 476S look completely different! As in, "different paint codes"-different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Fallz- I`ll be interested to hear how it works for you, given that YMMV thing. If you find the 476S lasts longer I`ll add you to the "different results" list! So far I can only think of one...maybe two...people who`ve had that happen.

FWIW, I seldom have any application issues, but when I do I use FK425 on the applicator.

Guess I`m just used to not seeing my LSPs when I apply, been doing silver/etc. vehicles for so long I don`t *expect* to see it and figure I used too much if I do.

EDIT: Just saw your previous post...see how experiences differ?!? I think that even on silver/etc. the Fk1000P and 476S look completely different! As in, "different paint codes"-different.
    All excellent points. I`ll try the 425 on applicator instead of water. I have no doubt I applied to heavy in spots , I noticed that during removal.

Post Thanks / Like

The past two years, I`ve done winter preps on my black Lacrosse with only one variable-Collinite 915 vs Fk1000. I always do a three step process, cleaning with DG501/601, followed by DG105, then an LSP. Two winters ago, LSP was Colli 915. Last winter, I used FK1000p. During the winter, either D156 or DG Aquawax is used periodically as a drying aid. Both got me thru an entire PA winter, parked outside 24/7. However the FK did last about a month longer, getting me into May before my spring cleanup, as opposed to April with the 915. Nothing against FK1000, but IMO the 915 looked better on black. Here`s a pic from April 2015:

I have all the Collinite waxes on the shelf, 845,476,885 and 915 and have tried them all. IMO, 476 and 885 are the same product in different tins. Collinite says 476/885 lasts longer than 915, but in my experience neither has ever been left untreated long enough to notice any difference in longevity, so my dark-colored cars all get the 915 for the more pleasing look (at least to my tired, old eyes).

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- Your experiences are exactly what I`d expect! I`ve never used 915, but the 476S looks a lot better to me on dark colors. I got a bit *more* durability increase with the FK, but that`s just the YMMV and my vehicles are always garaged these days (and often DI pressure washed if really messy between washes).

Collinite says 476/885 lasts longer than 915, but in my experience neither has ever been left untreated long enough to notice any difference in longevity...
    Heh heh, you crazy Autopian you! But seriously, I bet those Drying Aids are helpful, I know that the ones I use do contribute something. FWIW, my observations regarding durability were from back *before* I used anything like that, maybe just a little FK425/FK146.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information