Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Product(s) for maximum sun/UV protection?

I recently bought a car which had obviously spent a lot of time under the sun without much protection. The front of the roof has some clearcoat failure and the hood has developed a faint white haze in some areas. I just washed and claybar`d the car and also applied a couple coats of Optimum spray wax with its UV protection. I have used this wax on my previous car which had a very small area of clear-coat peeling on the pillar. That peeling hasn`t gotten any worse during the last 3+ years of ownership which I`ve been happy about.

I am wondering if there are any other products I can use for maximum sun/UV protection so that I can prevent the damage from getting worse and preserve the rest of the paintwork? The rest of the car is in ok shape paint-wise.

I park my car in an indoor community garage which I know helps tremendously but there will be lots of days where I will have to park outdoors for hours. I don`t have a Porter Cable or any other machine so at the moment I am only open to products that can be hand-applied.

The haze on the hood isn`t quite as pronounced in real life and the paint isn`t quite as flat as it appears in the photo. Nevertheless, the haze is there.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product(s) for maximum sun/UV protection?

Once it started, nuttin gonna stop it. Needs re-paint

For other areas, a GOOD sealant (blackfire, Poorboys world, etc)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve, Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When you say nothing`s gonna stop it once started, you mean even with wax and everything on top of that roof damage, that damage will continue to get larger and spread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
    When you say nothing`s gonna stop it once started, you mean even with wax and everything on top of that roof damage, that damage will continue to get larger and spread?
    yep
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be bearer of bad news

Post Thanks / Like

you may be able to slow it, but it wont stop completely. as well as when you are applying the sealant, it will probably flake and scratch more of the paint, and same goes for washing

Post Thanks / Like

Lol no worries. I`ll have to make the best of what I have. Does the spreading only occur when wash mitts or towels glide over the damaged area causing the clear to peel, or something else which causes the good clear-coat directly surrounding the bad area to start going bad too? Because I was worried about the same thing happening with my previous car but like I said the peeling did not get any worse. I also did not wash that car often but only gave it a good wash, claybar and wax and mostly left it alone.

Also what about the haze on the hood? Can that be prevented from getting worse or will it suffer the same fate as the roof?

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily. It, sort of lifts, so washing or waxing etc just helps accelerate it. Either way it`s toast
    Likes Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Product(s) for maximum sun/UV protection?

I agree with Ron. Once the damage is done, no "LSP protection" can be applied that will do much to stop it from spreading.

However,

I have an option for you for the roof. If I was looking to "better this" on the cheap, I would cover the area above the windshield with metallic black 3M Di Noc or 1080 film.

If you do it correctly, it will look like a fairing for the roof rack, look good, cost you maybe $40, and completely protect the area where the UV damage has been done (black film will act as mechanical block from UV rays).

I did this process to my roof rack rails last year and it`s as good as the day I did it.

Here are some pics to give you an idea..

Started with this (massive peeling paint from UV exposure):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422976815.390323.jpg

Then stripped paint down to this (stripping paint not required in your case):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422976847.277989.jpg

Then, carefully wrapped the rails in 3M 1080 film & coated with DLux. After, I have a brand new looking roof rack:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422976908.742469.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422976919.025367.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422976935.111903.jpg
    Likes mnehls86, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a cool idea

Post Thanks / Like

Strider, take a look at Barry`s thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...ighlight=barry

Also, forum member KC (in Singapore) demo`d Opticoat on the deck lid of a car with bad clear coat failure. It made a huge improvement.

I guess the bottom line with both these scenarios I reference is `what do they look like a couple years later?`

I tend to agree that re-finishing is the solution to fixing that failure. Sure, you can make it look better with various potions etc., but how long will it last before needing to be done again.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Swanicyouth, that sounds like a a great idea and your roof rack looks fantastic. So the 3M film is basically a car wrap right?

and Tom, Opticoat looks interesting too. I will have to look into it. The description makes it sound like a foam-applied clear-coat?? I wonder if it could actually help eliminate the white bubbling-like appearance or only seal in the damage to prevent it from getting worse.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight as to the hood? Will the white haze slowly but surely turn as bad as the roof or have I saved it just in time from getting any worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
    Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Swanicyouth, that sounds like a a great idea and your roof rack looks fantastic. So the 3M film is basically a car wrap right?

and Tom, Opticoat looks interesting too. I will have to look into it. The description makes it sound like a foam-applied clear-coat?? I wonder if it could actually help eliminate the white bubbling-like appearance or only seal in the damage to prevent it from getting worse.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight as to the hood? Will the white haze slowly but surely turn as bad as the roof or have I saved it just in time from getting any worse?

not stopped it, but maybe slowed it down some

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to ask, even with my waxing and etc., how long would you expect it to then take for my hood to start looking like the front of my roof? I mean is this a 6 month thing or a one year thing, 2 years, or?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information