Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product(s) for maximum sun/UV protection?

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
    One thing I forgot to ask, even with my waxing and etc., how long would you expect it to then take for my hood to start looking like the front of my roof? I mean is this a 6 month thing or a one year thing, 2 years, or?
    The other panels might never fail like the roof even without any special treatment. For clearcoat to fail like that just because of UV exposure is very, *VERY* uncommon. So rare that I think something else was going on there that thinned the clear in those areas of the roof. Like...somebody (previous owner? dealership when "new"? coulda been anyone..) buffed it too aggressively and took off a few too many microns of clearcoat, resulting in premature failure due to increased UV-vulnerability. Or maybe it got run through a carwash where rollers/etc. always rubbed those sections of the roof. OR a combination of those two guesses. Generally, paint just doesn`t fail like that, let alone in somewhat isolated "blotches" like what`s in the pics. Note that the rest of that leading edge is OK even though it oughta all be uniformly weathered.

IMO you oughta just bite the bullet and have the roof repainted by somebody who knows what they`re doing. It`s already failed, and it`s only gonna get worse. You got sold a vehicle with paint issues, simple as that (sorry to say).

Easy for me to spend your money, huh? And that wouldn`t be the cheapest panel to paint either.

You can keep it from turning into a complete rusty mess by using a paintcleaner (not an abrasive polish, that`d make things worse) to reduce the oxidation and then wax/seal/whatever to provide a sacrificial barrier between the messed-up paint and the elements. It`ll still continue to fail, but if you redo it often it won`t get all that much worse.

If you don`t do that, and keep doing it, it`ll eventually turn into really awful surface rust.

Post Thanks / Like

So how long would you guess it`ll take for the hood to look like the roof?

Repainting the roof and/or hood isn`t an option at this point simply because it such a low value car and respraying of those panels alone will probably cost close to half the value of the car itself if not more. The car was purchased as an overall clean and reliable commuter car and is so far serving that purpose well...I was just hoping to find something to do to delay the progression as much as possible.

Perhaps in the future if I find a hook up on a respray job then I might take up on it, but by then I just might be ready to move on to something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, there`s really no miracle for preserving you clear coat other than not exposing it to sunlight. I Opti-Coated my wife`s minivan and the paint on the hood still failed. And when I initially coated it it was perfectly fine. I just ended up re-polishing it and re-applying Opti-Coat every couple months to keep it looking shiny. Here`s the 50/50 of the hood:

Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

StriderTactical- Heh heh, yeah I know what you mean...my older vehicles often cost me more than they`re worth!

The hood might never fail the way the roof did, I wouldn`t worry about that. For the roof, if you won`t repaint then I`d:

-use some product known to remove oxidation with minimal abrasion. Klasse All-In-One comes to mind, but it might not be potent enough.
    -clean away whatever the product leaves behind with a solvent
    -apply a coating like OptiGloss and hope for the best.

David Fermani- Was the minivan new when you got it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. When you say remove the oxidation, do you mean essentially use a very aggressive compound to remove basically all the clear-coat then seal what`s left with Opticoat? I`m still having a hard time finding out what the difference is between Opti-Coat and Opti-Gloss.

Also, when I get an opportunity, I really would like to give the entire car a gentle one-step clean up polish with something very light like Poorboys SSR-1 or something like that. As mentioned, the rest of the car appears fine but do you think it would be safe to polish the hood as it currently looks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL View Post
    Thanks for the responses. When you say remove the oxidation, do you mean essentially use a very aggressive compound to remove basically all the clear-coat then seal what`s left with Opticoat?

NO. I`d try to remove the oxidation via chemical means rather than through abrasion. Taking off more clear would be counterproductive. You`ll have enough missing clear/exposed basecoat as it is, don`t make that situation worse.
    I`m still having a hard time finding out what the difference is between Opti-Coat and Opti-Gloss.
    AFAIK there`s no functional diff at least not in a practical sense that`ll matter here.

.. the rest of the car appears fine but do you think it would be safe to polish the hood as it currently looks?
    It`s a gamble, but I myself would go ahead and gently polish the rest of it including the hood. Again, my *GUESS* is that the roof suffered some kind of extraordinary abuse that resulted in the failure there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    David Fermani- Was the minivan new when you got it?
    No. A few years old, but it was a S. Florida vehicle which could be the culprit of the failure.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright. I`ll have to read up on that stuff. I have been under the impression that cars with heavy oxidation which can then be polished heavily to restore a shine only applies to single stage paintjobs whereas oxidation on clear-coat means that all the clear is already bad.

Post Thanks / Like

StriderTactical- Yeah, that`s basically correct (though with the single stage it`s not that simple either...). When the problem is "not enough paint", the solution is *NOT* to "take off more paint"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information