Post Thanks / Like

Paint debris on highway vs. city driving...

OK, just did a wash/clay/polish/sealant on a friends car as a holiday gift. Her car is a 2006 silver Forester, non garaged and used for commuting to work approx. 11 miles / day, all city driving w/speeds up to 50. This car was always washed at the brushless wash w/the extra wax and never clayed. I noticed with the baggie test there were less contaminants on her car than my DDer truck which see 55 miles round trip of highway driving. I clayed my truck recently, it had been done a year before and waxed twice since its` last claying and it had more roughness w/ the baggie test.

Anyone else notice highway miles embed more paint contaminants than city miles all else (time, DD, non garaged, etc....) being equal? Just the observation of a newb.
    Thanks, Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint debris on highway vs. city driving...

I agree with you on the highway miles and embedded dirt. I think debris coming off the tires at a higher speed has much to do with this.

I think you gave her a very nice holiday gift.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

A quick polish with a rotary will turn it to velvet. Try a green sponge pad with your favorite finish polish and throw the clay stuff out! I have NEVER used clay in the 39 years I have been in business,.....yes thats right. Clay is a waste of time. Rotary polishing is as professional as you can get! When you get really good, you will finish up with the rotary. Then you will agree the clay goes in the round file......try it from a distance to practice your aim. Just my take on things....Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way....I agree it was a great b-day present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paintxpert View Post
    A quick polish with a rotary will turn it to velvet. Try a green sponge pad with your favorite finish polish and throw the clay stuff out! I have NEVER used clay in the 39 years I have been in business,.....yes thats right. Clay is a waste of time. Rotary polishing is as professional as you can get! When you get really good, you will finish up with the rotary. Then you will agree the clay goes in the round file......try it from a distance to practice your aim. Just my take on things....Good luck!
    Clay may be a waste of time in your opinion but IMO its the best thing since sliced bread,magna sponge block close second!

Thread Information