Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Anything over collinite 845?

Hi all,

Should I put any type of top coat over collinite 845?

The car is an atomic silver DD that is kept outside on the weekends and overnight. I`m in hot and humid Miami.

Thanks!

Art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a 2016 Lexus GS 350 F Sport in atomic silver.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anything over collinite 845?

I don`t. It looks great on it`s own, and it`s durability as a stand alone is probably better than anything you`re going to top it with.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MiamiS430-I usually topped 845 with 476S, but on silver I`d stick with just the 845. Though I`d be surprised if it`s very durable in your hot environment.
    Likes MiamiS430 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IMO It`s great as it is without topping. If you wish i guess you can top with a quick spray wax to add some protection on top the 845 and boost the surface`s slickness after each wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks.

As for durability, I got it on a recommendation from someone. I figure I would give a bottle a try and see how it goes.

Accumulator - what would you recommend for my climate on a DD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a 2016 Lexus GS 350 F Sport in atomic silver.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in Texas and have had good results with 845, it honestly did not want to come off when i was trying to strip it off my car to prep for repaint. I gave it a very aggressive wash with an Iron Remover and APC and a bug sponge...and the water was still repelling off my paint after all that.

IF you want a "backup" , i`m sure Accumulator will agree when i advice on giving FK1000P a shot. I am currently using it on one of my cars that sits outside 24/7 and it is driven *Edit: Daily*, and i haven`t had the need to re-apply since the beginning of summer ( i would say Spring, but we rarely get one down here). I do like to top it with Meguiars D156 after every wash as a booster and it`s been great so far. FK1000P likes to sheet water off,and 845 beads up more .
    Test below:

FK1000P performed well for me under the sun as you`ll see below on one of my client`s truck :

DURING

AFTER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes rlmccarty2000, MiamiS430, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks MiamiS430 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiS430 View Post
    As for durability, I got [845] on a recommendation from someone. I figure I would give a bottle a try and see how it goes.
    845 is a good and durable LSP, just not durable enough for me
    Accumulator - what would you recommend for my climate on a DD?
    -AND-
    Quote Originally Posted by Migue
    i`m sure Accumulator will agree when i advice on giving FK1000P a shot.
    Exactly. Most durable LSP I`ve ever used and while the beading is, uhm...different..from stuff like 845 (and I do like beading), it stays *VERY* clean between washes and cleans up easily in the sense that it really releases dirt/contamination readily so you can employ very gentle wash methods and still get it clean.

Just FWIW, I`ve been using (a sorta-strong mix of) IUDJ as a drying aid, and find that it works at least as well as my Spray Waxes/QDs although a Spray Wax does leave longer-lasting protection (not an issue when the base LSP is FK1000P). On wax, sealants (including FK1000P), whatever I have on the vehicle it seems to really *pop* when the final part of my wash includes IUDJ. Although it`s a little pricey for a Rinseless it`s still cheaper than a QD let alone a Spray Wax and a little extra cleaning power/lubrication/encapsulation doesn`t hurt when you`re touching the paint to dry it. Sure didn`t expect it to impress me so much, never woulda thunk it as I`m not a big fan of Rinseless Washes in general.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    . Though I`d be surprised if it`s very durable in your hot environment.
    I don`t know if I can ever recall 845`s durability being suspect. In any case, it`s never been an issue for me, and I have a pretty harsh summer environment - high heat, high humidity, frequent afternoon showers, etc, etc. By all accounts, 845 has performed extremely well for me, then again I can only use factors such as beading, feel of the surface, no etching, protection from bird fallout, etc as a reference for durability. 845 has stood up against most if not all sealants and waxes, if not downright outperformed them in terms of beading, slickness longevity, and the ease at which "dirtiness" is removed during a wash the times I have used sections on my personal vehicles as test grounds.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes MiamiS430, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I don`t know if I can ever recall 845`s durability being suspect.
    Heh heh, I have zero doubts that the 845 works great for you, and I`m sure not hating on the stuff. I guess my post came across a lot more critical of 845 than I`d intended.

But I set the bar awfully high when it comes to durability (topped 845 with 476S due to a perhaps slight, but notable, improvement in that), and when FK1000P blew away my previous champ (heavily layered KSG) I was sold on the stuff.

I suppose my disinclination to reLSP for months at a time factors in here. Most Autopians undoubtedly reLSP a *LOT* more often than I do. I`m disappointed if I have to reLSP after a hard winter!

Note that others have had Collinite *outlast* the FK1000P, so it appears to be one of those YMMV things... just reporting how it worked out for me.

And one really great thing about 845 is that it`s so trim-friendly. Good stuff to be sure, I was never *unhappy* with it and it was one of my staples for decades.
    Likes JaredPointer, MiamiS430 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- I`ve been meaning to use my 845 for trim as well, what is your process? do you apply and let it cure just like on paint or apply then wipe off right away? I always top my trim with D156 and fender wells with Carpro Perl but i want to actually seal them with the 845 for stronger protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Migue- Yeah, the D156/UQW *is* good on trim, I use it on some vehicles at *every* wash (even when I use the IUDJ).

Quote Originally Posted by Migue
    I`ve been meaning to use my 845 for trim as well, what is your process? do you apply and let it cure just like on paint or apply then wipe off right away?
    The latter- buff it off *before* it dries lest it be a PIA to get out of the trim`s texture. Wipe-On-Wipe-Off, and as with pretty much every LSP I like to fog the surface with my breath while buffing as the little bit of condensation seems to be a good thing.

But given the seemingly inevitable YMMV factor, I`d sure try the 845-on-trim thing on some test spot the first time...just in case.
    Likes Migue liked this post
    Thanks Migue thanked for this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, Been using Collinte so long that it will work fine in Miami and anywhere else, I use this product alot back in the very early 80`s when I live in Homestead and it provide the protection I needed for my Corvette`s from the heat and humidity that is local as Cafe Cubano.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, regular wax here in Florida will not last too long. Great choice in using 845.
    Likes Migue, MiamiS430, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And if you want to try something different.....Blackfire is one heck of a product to use and even great on dark colors.
    Likes tropicsteve, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    And if you want to try something different.....Blackfire is one heck of a product to use and even great on dark colors.
    The only BF stuff I`ve tried was their original All Finish Paint Protection. While I utterly hated it on silver (actually stripped it off) I bet it *does* look great on darker colors.

How long does it last for you and how well does it protect against etching? By the time I decided that I hated it (maybe a few weeks) it was surprisingly dead, didn`t last nearly as long as my Collinite. It did seem somewhat more durable than UPP, but I didn`t drive the car enough to see how the BFAFPP protects (UPP simply does *NOT* protect against bugs/birds, they etch as if it were bare paint).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information