Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Storing your car shampoo?

Id like to know what everyone else does for storage of their car shampoo products.

My current system is a bit unorthodox, but it works to my needs:
    - Thoroughly washed and rinsed clothes detergent jug (the type with the spigot on the side)
    - Combine a gallon of Meguiars Gold Class & a gallon of Turtle Wax Wash (the green stuff)
    - Shake them up, and continue to add alternating gallons when it runs low

Im prepared to take heat on this process ...but it works for me as I get benefits from Meguiars GC, and it goes farther when its cut with Turtle Wax which gives me good results at a reduced cost. I like the spigot side of the detergent jug as I can dispense exactly the amount I want, very easily.

Just curious what everyone is doing to store product. Are you just leaving it in its original bottle/jug, or do you have a better system in place?
    Constantly striving to keep the cars clean...:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storing your car shampoo?

I leave my 3D Pink in the 5 gallon bucket and my Griot`s Car Wash in the oe gallon jug, both with pump dispensers.

Since the vast majority of my shampoo use is based on a diluted mix (for the foamguns and for the spray bottle I use for wheels/wells/undercarriage), I save up my old gallon jugs from Griot`s and keep a few gallons of the mix handy (~3.5 oz of each shampoo + ~121oz water = ~1 gallon).

Just FWIW, and at the risk of sounding like a Shampoo Snob (guilty, though I won`t spend for stuff like Ultima ), I always found GC to be awfully mediocre, and I wouldn`t want to drag it further down the scale by mixing it with that TW (which I used many gallons of before changing my ways).
    Likes mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, apostrophes! Well, sorta....good enough for me

Post Thanks / Like

You called me out, so enlighten me please! What rec`s do you have for better shampoo for a cost-conscious detailer? Griots? Duragloss?

I just hooked up a foam cannon over the weekend, and I can clearly see the benefits of better soap and diluting it with the pressure.

Thanks Accumulator!
    Constantly striving to keep the cars clean...:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DigiDan View Post

My current system is a bit unorthodox, but it works to my needs:
    - Thoroughly washed and rinsed clothes detergent jug (the type with the spigot on the side)
    If that works for you, no need to change it up

I do similar. I took a gallon jug of Listerine (from my work`s breakroom, after it was empty) and after thoroughly cleaning it out, I use it with a mix of 3D Pink and Griot`s Car Wash. It came with a pump, so that`s why I used it. Otherwise, I have my 5 gal bucket sitting on the garage floor, and other smaller bottles of shampoo on a shelf in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hey, apostrophes! Well, sorta....good enough for me
    That`s funny! I bet that made you happy. I didn`t even notice the "reverse apostrophe" until you pointed it out! Good eye, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiDan View Post
    You called me out, so enlighten me please! What rec`s do you have for better shampoo for a cost-conscious detailer? Griots? Duragloss?

I just hooked up a foam cannon over the weekend, and I can clearly see the benefits of better soap and diluting it with the pressure.

Thanks Accumulator!
    Accumulator uses the 3D Pink Soap mixed with Griot`s Garage Car Wash Soap, as he noted in his post above. 3D Pink alone is a pretty good value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    If that works for you, no need to change it up ..
    Yes, that. Just because *I* am not satisfied by something that doesn`t mean it`s wrong for everybody. (Hence the disclaimer about my being a Shampoo Snob.)

...3D Pink alone is a pretty good value.
    Yes indeed! When it`s on sale the 5 gallon bucket is a pretty good value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I leave my 3D Pink in the 5 gallon bucket and my Griot`s Car Wash in the oe gallon jug, both with pump dispensers.

Since the vast majority of my shampoo use is based on a diluted mix (for the foamguns and for the spray bottle I use for wheels/wells/undercarriage), I save up my old gallon jugs from Griot`s and keep a few gallons of the mix handy (~3.5 oz of each shampoo + ~121oz water = ~1 gallon).

Just FWIW, and at the risk of sounding like a Shampoo Snob (guilty, though I won`t spend for stuff like Ultima ), I always found GC to be awfully mediocre, and I wouldn`t want to drag it further down the scale by mixing it with that TW (which I used many gallons of before changing my ways).
    3D pink still comes in 5 gallon buckets? I thought that was discontinued?

Post Thanks / Like

When i get megs hyperwash or any other soap, i try to get the gallon. And i use the pump dispenser.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

You are really missing out on the Ultima. Catch it on sale next Black Friday. It may be the best soap on the market for coated cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll throw in my recommendation for Optimum Car Wash to complicate things a little more

Post Thanks / Like

When my optimum car wash was all gone I used the empty bottle for Duragloss 902. I also like using old hand soap pumps and squeeze bottles. I store my Meg`s D114 in a hand soap pump. Easier than using the gallon every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    You are really missing out on the Ultima. Catch it on sale next Black Friday. It may be the best soap on the market for coated cars.

I for one believe you guys who say that Ultima`s shampoo is All That, but with my per-wash shampoo consumption I`m simply never gonna find it cost-effective

Post Thanks / Like

I just get Meg`s gallon sizes of soap for $9 at Costco also have two mirror glaze soaps but I`m not sure what the difference is other than smell and it`s more expensive

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Slick- IME the M62 is *much* better than most OTC shampoos. Better lubricity and encapsulation than stuff like Gold Glass.

It was M62 that started my transition from Shampoo Egalitarian to Shampoo Snob, though these days I relegate it to wheels/wells as even *it* isn`t good enough for me any more.

After *years* of believing that, basically, "all shampoos work out the same" and shopping by price, I realized through experience that I`m *FAR* less likely to instill wash-related marring when I use top-quality shampoos. Heh heh, otherwise I sure wouldn`t spend the extra money!

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree on the Gold Class.....does nothing for me.

Optimum Car Wash, HD Wash, and CarPro Reset are a couple I like. I usually just leave stuff in whatever container it came in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information