Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping them separate..

I have read different views on separating my MF cloths. Unless my MF are greasy (and I wouldn`t use a MF on grease anyway unless it was an old one). Do you really need to separate them if you have a good quality washing agent? Would they not all be clean?
    I have a lot of MF cloths I use on my EDC and I have never had a problem with mixing them together because they all come out clean.
    If they are too dirty or greasy to use on my paint I discard them or wash them with other rags and use them on my wheels, never paint.
    Am i missing something here in this argument?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping them separate..

Are you referring to when you wash them?
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping them separate..

Yes,, when I wash them.
    I know people use different colors on different parts of the car but if you go to wash them, do you not expect they would be clean after. And if they are not clean, because you use certain ones on the rocker panels... Etc would you not just find another use for them other than on your car?
    I just never got a clear understanding of why people separate cloths by color or types.
    I`d be washing MF clothes all day.
    The wife would kill me

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping them separate..

I don`t think most wash by colors. I could be wrong but never have noticed that. Sometimes they will bleed the first few times you wash, but once they have been washed a few times you can wash with others.. I don`t separate by colors, but rather by the job they are intended for. I do 3 different bundles: paint towels, interior towels, and engine/wheels.

Edit: That`s why you only wash when you have a full load of one type. Keeping them separate..

Post Thanks / Like

But why are separating them. Would they not all come out clean if you washed them together?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine I understand, it would be a rag at that point and washed with my other rags around the house.
    Why separate interior and exterior cloths?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marinesoup View Post
    But why are separating them. Would they not all come out clean if you washed them together?

Do you want some grit you picked up out of an interior to be locked onto your polishing or detailing towel? Or some grease on your brand new white drying towel? Or brake dust on some of your towels? Towels don`t always come out 100% containment free. They might be clean, but stuff can get lodge in the fibers. These are the reasons I do it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marinesoup View Post
    I have read different views on separating my MF cloths. Unless my MF are greasy (and I wouldn`t use a MF on grease anyway unless it was an old one). Do you really need to separate them if you have a good quality washing agent? Would they not all be clean?
    I have a lot of MF cloths I use on my EDC and I have never had a problem with mixing them together because they all come out clean.
    If they are too dirty or greasy to use on my paint I discard them or wash them with other rags and use them on my wheels, never paint.
    Am i missing something here in this argument?
    Yes, I separate my Microfibers when washing, using, and storing (using the large ziplock bags). I currently use a microfiber wash by Chemical Guys but might pick up some Persil laundry detergent next time I`m in upstate NY or I`ll order some 3D Towel Kleen.

The only reason you don`t want to mix you microfibers is cross contamination (to avoid scratching the paint). I don`t wash the microfibers I use on the wheels with the microfibers I use to remove polish/wax. I do however group my microfibers into groups. In order from best quality microfibers to lesser (or newest microfibers to oldest) polish/wax towels, drying/washing towels, interior/glass towels, wheels/undercarriage/engine bay towels. I also wash my wash mitts separately (wheels mitt in one load paint mitt`s in another).

Honestly it depends what your using the microfibers for if you`re using a yellow one on the paint and the used a blue one too I`d wash them together (colors don`t mater as long as you`ve washed them once to prevent the colors from bleeding),

Post Thanks / Like

Guess this might be one of those things where it just depends on the specifics of the situation. I`d generally err on the side of caution myself, but I do tend to agree that once they`re laundered they oughta be clean and free of stuff that`d mar paint...gee, I`m really straddling the fence on this one, huh?!? Back to "it all depends..."

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I just separate into 2 piles - the ones I use for removing compound, wax, etc., into 1 pile and all the others except for dirty, greasy, anything into the 2nd pile..
    Never had anything lodge into any microfiber towels and scratch a finish..
    I look at every towel I use before I use it and if I pick up anything that is not the same color, or pattern of the towel, I check closer to see what it is...
    2 loads of microfiber, 2 loads of cotton towels, and thats it..
    Dan F
    Likes XxBoostinxX, bswombaugh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I`m just not that fussy. I do segregate towels for specific uses, but they all basically wash together. I have some inexpensive Mainstay WW towels that I use just for ONR washes. They are very stained. I have some other MF towels that I`ve used to remove `wax` carriers, that no longer absorb water well so these stay dedicated to that task. Other MF towels continue to be used for varied tasks but they all go in the wash together and to date I`ve never noticed a problem in doing so as the washer seems to clean all the towels pretty much as I`d expect. Oh, I wouldn`t mind if the stains came out of the WW towels better, but I`ve never had any remaining grit in any towels, let alone transfer from one to another.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I only separate interior and exterior. Is it required? No i`m sure you could throw them all in and they`d be fine in most cases. But I counter it by waiting until I have a solid load of each instead of just 3-5 towels. That way I`m not wasting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping them separate..

There is a question here and everyone is missing it - are you just doing your own cars; or are you doing this as a business? I think if you are doing this as a business, you probably wouldn`t be asking this question.

If you are just doing your own cars - wash them all together. Be real people. I`ve been washing towels all together for years.

What is an EDC ??!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    What is an EDC ??!?
    Every day carry. In other words, his pistol.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol., everyday car

Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information