Post Thanks / Like

Tire Shine From Hell!

So on my new to me S10 was brought home with some ridiculous tire shine on the tires. No biggie, We`ve bought numerous new and used vehicles over the years and it all came off. Not this time...

This was after one application of Zep Fast 505 Degreaser and two full strength doses of Meg`s Non-Acid Tire and Wheel cleaner...

Really!? I ruined my tire scrub brush and my boars hair brush at this attempt. Nothing was touching it. Out of curiosity I grabbed a rag and doused in in mineral spirits. Well I be...

This is the test:

So for the first time ever, I loaded up a sprays bottle of mineral spirits!

Not perfect, but this is what I got so far. I`ll let it wear off some more and have another go!

Any clue as to what was on there? Armor-All isn`t even this tough! Did they apply oil or something?
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Shine From Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    So on my new to me S10 was brought home with some ridiculous tire shine on the tires. No biggie, We`ve bought numerous new and used vehicles over the years and it all came off. Not this time...

This was after one application of Zep Fast 505 Degreaser and two full strength doses of Meg`s Non-Acid Tire and Wheel cleaner...

Really!? I ruined my tire scrub brush and my boars hair brush at this attempt. Nothing was touching it. Out of curiosity I grabbed a rag and doused in in mineral spirits. Well I be...

This is the test:

So for the first time ever, I loaded up a sprays bottle of mineral spirits!

Not perfect, but this is what I got so far. I`ll let it wear off some more and have another go!

Any clue as to what was on there? Armor-All isn`t even this tough! Did they apply oil or something?
    oh man the president of our car club used something from turtle wax or black magic that was supposed to be a "semi permanent" coating and it ruined his tires..he actually ended up buying new ones I believe- I tried APC, simple green and everything I had and they didn`t do much

he had more ridges on the sides though

Brandt K.
    Likes vanev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Carmax sprayed mine upon delivery, after i told them to not touch the car except to remove the window stuck on paper sheet. It was like a dirt/tan color and dripping. The shine did not last long on the tire, but the dressing was still stuck on there, instead of trying to clean it all off in one sitting, since it was my car, i decided to just gradually keep cleaning it off during each weekly wash and i think it took like 3-4 washes before it was completely off.

Glad you managed to clean that off, what a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 cars back to back that I had to do that those cleaners wouldn`t touch what was on the tires. Turned my tire brush black.

bleche wite actually worked and worked well. One of the cars the product was megs endurance tire gel. It worked so well my tuff shine brush cleaned up and was white again. Now I only use tuff shine tire cleaner to clean tires. Not going through the guessing game again. Haven`t had any trouble since

Post Thanks / Like

Ive found that Meg`s Endurance gel does not like to come off the tires that are on my Formula. I sure wish it would. Maybe I will have to try mineral spirits
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I you have Optimum Power Clean, that should do it.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I`ve had Griot`s Rubber Prep work when nothing else I`d tried did.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Ive found that Meg`s Endurance gel does not like to come off the tires that are on my Formula. I sure wish it would. ...
    Epic!

Thread Information