Post Thanks / Like

SALT... SALT everywhere! EVERYWHERE!

This winter has been the worst to date, I`ve been behind multiple sanders, literally being hosed with it. My car is matte white and to top it off the harbor flooding this morning (Atlantic SALT water). I had to drive through the highly corrosive ocean water for almost a mile at times getting up to 2ft+. What do you guys use for salt protection on the under carriage and how do you clean it? I really don`t want to go to a car wash, my car has never been through one since I`ve owned it (I don`t plan on breaking that habit).

Any good tools? Any good spray on protection products?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SALT... SALT everywhere! EVERYWHERE!

I like the touchless washes that have an undercarriage spray as well.

I`ve also used a garden sprinkler under the car, and move it about every 5-10 min.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with Ron. Touchless wash or sprinkler.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps try Saltaway?

Salt-Away Home Page
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Bio-Kleen makes this product for salt-neutralization as well:
    https://www.biokleen.com/salt-neutralizer

After washing your vehicle. make sure it is dry. Use a house window fan(s) in your garage around the vehicle to blow-dry and remove as much of the moisture as possible.
    Even small amounts of salt brine that run/wick/drip into metal seams and nooks-and-crannies of metal parts are where corrosion will form.
    I attach the hose from a shop vac to the exhaust outlet and use it as a poor man`s compressor/blower to blow out water from the engine compartment, wheel wells, and door jams. Just do not use it too long if you use a funnel or reducer-type attachment on the hose end to direct the blown air, as it is hard on the shop vac motor.

The myth here in the upper Midwest is winter-driven cars that are kept in heated garages do not rust as fast as those parked outside. This simply is not true. It`s the water-salt chemical reaction that causes the corrosion. At room temperatures (60°F and higher) this chemical reaction is accelerated. It would be better if vehicles would be kept at -20°F, as the corrosion factor is somewhat reduced or mitigated at these lower temperatures. However, starting and moving a vehicle in those extreme cold environments are a source of all kinds of mechanical issues and problems.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Both Karcher and AR have attachments for their PWs for rinsing the under side of your car. There are also a number of units available that just attach to a hose, but I can`t find the websites at the moment--perhaps a Google search will find them if they are still available.

I built my own using PVC and various fittings from Home Depot.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

I`m experimenting with my pressure washer, but find it a bit unwieldy (don`t have an undercar attachment for it).

Fortunately, I have (and really like) the *oh-so-pricey* version of what pwaug uses, got it from American Waterbroom back in the `80s. I use that for the initial rinsing but then I get under there and actually *clean* everything with brushes/mitts/woolies/etc. Yep, do that Every. Single. Wash. (Goes quick in the summer, not so quick in the winter.) I keep a pair of floorjacks (actually three) and jackstands in the washbay just for this. I not only dry the undercarriages, but on the nicer vehicles (i.e., everything except the Tahoe) also use some kind of spraywax, or at least some FastFinish or QD-strength IUDJ.

As I`ve posted before, the first and last hours of any wash are spent on things like the undercarriage. Makes all the difference IME and affords me a chance to make sure that nothing needs attention down there (latest- leaking pinion seal).

I`m currently doing fine with a sorta-strong shampoo mix, same as I use for the wheels/wells. I`d previously used APC but have, to my surprise, found that unnecessary.

If they use something *really* tenacious in your area, ValuGard makes a product specifically for this application...forget what it`s called.
    Likes blackcats liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`m going to order this, what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUt-7wWg9tQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Both Karcher and AR have attachments for their PWs for rinsing the under side of your car. There are also a number of units available that just attach to a hose, but I can`t find the websites at the moment--perhaps a Google search will find them if they are still available.

I built my own using PVC and various fittings from Home Depot.

This place has them.

Undercarriage / Underbody Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, if you have a pressure washer that such an attachment will work with, and are willing to spend the $, why not?!? I`m confident that eople who say to "just use a lawn sprinkler" haven`t done comparison testing; my undercar wand is nothing like a pressure washer-driven device, yet it`s a whole `nother world compared to a sprinkler.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Mike over on AGO is looking into the Karcher option also...

Sneak Peak: K
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

ShawnF350- The more I look into Fluid Film and think about it, the more favorably impressed I become. Might have to try some for a few applications...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Looks like Mike over on AGO is looking into the Karcher option also...

Sneak Peak: K
    Somebody on that thread actually posted a comment to the effect that waxing the undercarriage is weird. Sheesh, I`d hate to work on the underside of *his* car.

Thread Information