Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

clean/seal wheels advice for carbon ceramic brakes?

The new Z06 Vette is avail with carbon ceramic brakes...any one have a tried and approved method of cleaning and sealing the wheels that will not affect the CC brakes? Some products say don`t use it. What works for sure and the mfr says that?

thanks!
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clean/seal wheels advice for carbon ceramic brakes?

Why don`t you take them off the car, clean them and coat them. Then you should just be able to use a car wash on the wheels after that--the CC brakes have to be able to take car wash, right?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why don`t you take them off the car, clean them and coat them. Then you should just be able to use a car wash on the wheels after that--the CC brakes have to be able to take car wash, right?
    yup, but many just want to do a quick wash/seal and are scared to use anything....I know Hydro2 is not supposed to be used on them...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

I have a car with ceramic brakes and all I use is water. IIRC the vette has a bulliten that prohibits the use of wheel cleaners (as in any) or it can stain the rotors.

I only use soap and water and since the brakes don`t dust, its not a problem. If you looking at a beaten ride to detail, you will have to remove the wheels and then you can use anything you want.

The issue is with the rotors and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Cant you use any sealant you want that is applied by hand? Just be careful not to get it on the rotor or pads. Obviously any spray sealants are out if the wheels are on the car, but I don`t see how any non spray type wheel sealant couldn`t be used. I`ve sealed plenty of wheels without getting anything on the rotors or pads.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have been more specific. I`m looking what a general owner can do to clean his wheels while they stay on the car , a tremendous amount of Z06’s are being sold to people that don`t want take them off or don`t want to "detail" them, so what cleaning regimen can be used ? I realize any sealsnt can be wiped on, it was more about washing products and tire shines.....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

I would be cautious as these are not cheap to replace. I would use nothing more than soap and water. CB don`t through off much dust-they are a pleasure.

As far as tire shine, I wipe in let dry apply another and buff to a matte shine, never had an issue in 3.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I should have been more specific. I`m looking what a general owner can do to clean his wheels while they stay on the car , a tremendous amount of Z06’s are being sold to people that don`t want take them off or don`t want to "detail" them, so what cleaning regimen can be used ? I realize any sealsnt can be wiped on, it was more about washing products and tire shines.....

Post Thanks / Like

I have carbon ceramics on my car. What you said above is the actual truth. They are a bit more stout than you would think. If they werent they would not be able to sell them to the general public.

The real confusion is that most products will NOT physically damage them, but MOST products will degrade their performance significantly. Specifically its the products with silicone in them. So that includes basically any wipe on, or spray sealant or tire protection.

Regarding cleaning them, you want to be sure you are using a straight cleaner. PH is not a real issue like most people believe it is regarding these brakes rotors. But its better to be using something of high quality that rinses easily. The only thing I am still unsure of is the iron removing wheel cleaners. Sonax goes out of there way to suggest to avoid spraying FE on the rotor itself.

When it comes to wheel cleaners you really need to consider that when the car is using Carbon Ceramic Brakes the wheels do NOT get dirty (with brake dust). at all ! I mean that literally. They get dirty in the same sense that your lower body panels get dirty. Meaning they clean off easily with soap and water. Even though thats true I still use a wheel cleaner on my wheels.

The products I use to clean my wheels with CCB`s.
    - P21S regular wheel cleaner (the NON gel) - This one works a LOT faster. I find it more powerful as well.
    - P21S GEL wheel cleaner
    - Blackfire wheel cleaner ( Blackfire Gel Wheel and Tire Cleaner )

You can also use APC`s that are natural solvent based
    - P21S TAW
    - Auto Finesse Citrus Power

The real issue is like mentioned earlier , the protection products especially spray tire dressings or wheel sealants. The Carbon rotors have very deep cracks in them uniformly throughout. making the material extremely porous and able to expand and contract a significant amount. So anything you get on the surface of the rotor will be pulled deeply into the material and unlike standard iron rotors you will NOT be burning off whatever lands on the surface.

- Just a quick fact and something to think about regarding the porousness of carbon ceramic brake rotors (and why it is not good to get foreign chemicals on the rotor). But do you know how to tell if your Carbon rotors are worn out and need replacement (without googling the answer ! ) ? You probably thinking they will get thin and once they are thin beyond a certain point they are worn out, right ? well no. They actually become lighter. The thickness remains very close to the same. Only the VERY outer edge is worn off over time. The internal material is actually burned off inside them each time they reach certain temperatures. Making them lighter and lighter everytime that specific temp is reached. That is another significant reason that these brakes will easily last the life of a street driven car. Think of it like an internal fiber is being burned each time enough heat is introduced.

If you do get silicone on the rotors there is pretty much no turning back so thats why its so important to be careful to avoid it. I have seen rotors that have been damaged. Interestingly enough they turn a slight different color. Mostly they get a greenish tint to them but I have also seen the tint in blue as well. The actual reason you rarely see customers complain about the problem is because these brakes are now being installed on street cars. So if you degrade the performance of the braking system on a street car who the heck is going to notice the difference ?? These braking systems are never used to there intended capacity on the street. A typical drive will not even allow them to reach optimal running temperature. So how on earth will you notice if the performance degraded by even such a large number like 25% ? you wont. so thats why you do not see more claims of damaged rotors. Thats just my theory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Cant you use any sealant you want that is applied by hand? Just be careful not to get it on the rotor or pads. Obviously any spray sealants are out if the wheels are on the car, but I don`t see how any non spray type wheel sealant couldn`t be used. I`ve sealed plenty of wheels without getting anything on the rotors or pads.
    You sure can ! Thats what I do to mine. I use Sonax Polymer Net-shield once a month. I do NOT spray it on though. I spray it onto an applicator , apply it to the surface then remove it with a towel. To be extra carefull I actually take a garbage bag and cover the rotors to be sure my applicator doesnt rub into the rotor. If you want to get the inner barrel you will have to remove the wheel just like every car. Sonax Net Shield is so ridiculous that I only have to spray the wheel with cleaner then rinse off to make them spotless. no agitation required when using this sealant.

For Tire shines you can also use spray on products. Just spray them on the applicator then apply them to the tire. and be sure to wipe off any excess to avoid it winding up on the braking system. (be sure to remove it from the bead protector strip on the tire as well.

Thread Information