Thread: No work. Rant

Post Thanks / Like

No work. Rant

Well its 5 years now that I have been detailing and I can now look back and think how much I have progressed. I literally feel almost too good for the prices I have been charging.

Only problem is that I cannot for the life of me pick up new clients. Im a regular of another forum and its members seem to wanna stick with a local member who slaps Zaino and is just recently learning to use a PC. I`ve seen this kids work, and its good, but I`m better. I notice the gunk in jams, the wax on trim, and dirty parts. I`ve also had the pleasure of seeing his vehicle in person and seeing how far away I am from him in terms of quality.

I`ve tried to pick up a few members, and have so far lucked out with one, who was completely wow`d by the transformation.

I.E.

Unfortunately, one persons amazement and referral does not overcome another detailers grip on clients. These clients are simply new to the potentials and have locked their eyes on a detailer who simply does mediocre work.

Other members who contact me get surprised either by the price or feel they might as well go with the other detailer since the price would be the same. I`m currently offering full exterior work for $150, which is a shame because I really feel Im worth more.

Last year I was probably doing about 6 details a month, this month I have done only ONE. I don`t know if its the housing market or economy, but people really don`t wanna spend on extra things like detailing, which is why I am trying to target my other forums members who really appreciate their cars.

Okay, im done with the rant. Any advice or tips on picking up these clients?
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No work. Rant

Ya don`t use the forums...

most want freebies and don`t know a swirl from a mirror..

really it`s the worst way to get work as there is an expert there to bash you everything you post something..

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to hit up my neighbors, but I`ve seen the guys that comeover and wash their cars with a wash brush.

The thing is that this other detailer is using the right steps. He does clay before polishing and uses Zaino as his protection. Thing is I have a lot of trial and error behind me that far surpasses his experience.

I used to work full time and detail on the weekends, but now I can work my own hours and wanna make extra money doing what I absolutely love.

Joy.
    • JoYRiiDE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I`m not in the business, my thoughts may be way off base, but.....
    Many times when I am at the restaurant, grocery store, gas station, car dealer, local cruise night, I am asked if I would do someone`s car for them. Obviously, what caused that comment was the appearance of my vehicle. People do notice a well maintained vehicle.
    What if you put a business card in a window of your vehicle when you are going to be in an area of potential customers? It would be easy to place and remove, wouldn`t be obtrusive, would have your name and number for them to contact you if they have any interest.
    It also might not be of any benefit whatsoever, but it wouldn`t cost much or take much effort to try.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Since I`m not in the business, my thoughts may be way off base, but.....
    Many times when I am at the restaurant, grocery store, gas station, car dealer, local cruise night, I am asked if I would do someone`s car for them. Obviously, what caused that comment was the appearance of my vehicle. People do notice a well maintained vehicle.
    What if you put a business card in a window of your vehicle when you are going to be in an area of potential customers? It would be easy to place and remove, wouldn`t be obtrusive, would have your name and number for them to contact you if they have any interest.
    It also might not be of any benefit whatsoever, but it wouldn`t cost much or take much effort to try.

Ill give it a try, might be hard since I park soo far away... J/k... I`m playing my own devil advocate.

Joy
    • JoYRiiDE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get the chance to visit with any of his customers, you could emphasize the things you know you do a better job at.
    While you don`t want to bad mouth the competition, there is certainly nothing wrong with pointing out your strong points.
    You don`t even need to go near the potential customers car when making your pitch. You mention "gunk in jams, the wax on trim, and dirty parts". Make a point of showing off your "clean jambs, no wax on trim and no dirty parts". Windows are an area where many detailers don`t do a very good job. Do a good job on yours and show them off. The potential customer will remember how good your vehicle looked and compare his with it when he goes back to his vehicle. He can then sell himself on wanting the better job.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought is to enter your car or even just do one of the local car shows with a small placard saying "detailed and maintained by" and put in your name.

It may sound underhanded but it is truthful

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey don;t get down on your self ! I have been in the biz for 16 yr and I had times when it has been slow. I am lucky cause I have alto of fleet work that I am not to happy about but it pays the bills. My advice is don;t lower your prices and go out their and talk to limo,car lots,office buildings,just talk to people and tell them about what you do. Good Luck. Oh ya keep that head up

Post Thanks / Like

I would do what Charles said about the business cards. In fact Chemical Guys has a catchy business card holder. Looks pretty good I want tio get one for the side jobs. Check out the link.
    Business Card Holder

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have discovered and I don`t do as many details as you guys who do this for a living, but for most it comes down to price...Quantity over Quality...

I did an F350 for a women that I am friends with it was her husbands work truck, beat up, swirled scratches what you would expect in a work truck. It came out great and they were happy. I ran ino the same women at the grocery store and she proceeded to tell me that she brought her own car to the dealer to have it detailed!!! I told her if it was cost I could work with her, she said it wasn`t that she just did alot of business with this dealership and she wanted to continue...

But that`s where it ended, she told me it took them one week to fix all the problems the two kids they had detailing put into the car. She said the dealer used them because they didn`t get paid as much. Swirls, burn marks from rotarys with compound on a wool pad...and to top it off what ever they sprayed the convertible roof with ran in the rain and coated the car.

She told me she learned her lesson and she will have me do it in the spring...so while it doesn`t happen often occaisionaly it does.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic job, what products did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a website? I hate stickers, but instead of the business card idea, you could place a sticker on your car. I know I`ve seen stickers on cars on the road and if the URL is easy enough to remember, I`ll check it out. You could get some pics of your work, like that transformation that you have posted on this thread up there and that should atleast get people thinking about ya. I totally agree with you, your work is better than what you`re charging...I`d let you detail my car for sure, and I`m on a detaililng forum because I like to do it myself.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

My advice to you about getting new clients is to just get out there and start making your name known in your area. Every day I make it a point to try and hand out at least 5 business cards/brochures. I do this very easily with local businesses. I`ll just ask for the manager or the owner of a store, hand them my information and give them about a 15 second summary of my business. They may not book an appointment on the spot, but the next time they need work done, they will remember you.
    Also, I always ask for their business card and I always follow up with a thank you card thanking them for taking the time to speak with me.
    The more people you can get your name in front of, the better.

AJ Auto Detail, LLC
    Post Thanks / Like

im having the same problem bro... i cant seem to get clients who want stick with their cars being maintained every week or two with my maintenance packages that i offer. i do, however, am good friends with a guy who owns a german auto recyclers place and i have detailed his and his wifes cars a few times, but whenever a customer comes in and asks for their car to be detailed before being returned to them he calls me. pretty good deal

just gotta find your connections man
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Thread Information