Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Starting Business

Ok so I`ve been reading these forums for a few months and now I`m finally to the point where I will be opening my own business soon. I am having trouble figuring out some pricing for certain services and I have no idea whats involved in the weekly maintanance(sp) that some of you talk about, could anyone possibly enlighten me on the subject?

My current pricing is low, I`m a "detailer" at the dealership right now but I mostly do body shop cleanups, or bodyshop details (focusing more on either interior or exterior) or (or cleaning up the car so it looks like it was never in a shop in the first place) so as of right now I dont have a wheel/polisher yet.

My prices for the first like 10 customers is 75$ for a car, and 90$ for a truck, and I`m going to try and upsell adding rain-x to all the windows and mirrors of the vehicle for 15-20$ extra.

Basically I would like input on my pricing as of yet (untill i get more experience with doing my own details and not those of a dealership) and what exactly is the procedure for weekly maint stuff and the pricing for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting Business

Make a proper business plan. without one you have a extremely small chance to survive. If you write one you will know what you have to charge for services. This is the same for any business.

Post Thanks / Like

well I am writing a business plan, I`ve taken some econ classes so I know about that, but what exactly do you guys do for weekly maintenance. Is it like a quick clean up? or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Japy, good luck on your business venture.
    One of the things that may help with your pricing question is if others members knew where you were from.

Location plays a big part in a pricing structure.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

good point, I forgot to setup my profile to indicate where I`m from.

I am located in michigan, near the lansing area, most specifically in the town of Williamston (small city outside lansing about 30 mins away) but the city is full of old "rich" people (not trying to sound cocky when I say rich)

Again thanks for the help, just tryin to figure things out and get the ball rolling since its april and I`ve been slacking.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that you should do some homework, and go around to other detailing shops and see what they are charging this way you know if your prices are too low or too high. Look at your location and see what is the going price.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go out an invest in a book. I know shocking in this day and age howver there is nothing better on the topic of starting a buisness. i would recomened one of starting a buisness and one on a buisiness plan. Tkae the time to figure out exactly what you need to dothen go for it
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    I would go out an invest in a book. I know shocking in this day and age howver there is nothing better on the topic of starting a buisness. i would recomened one of starting a buisness and one on a buisiness plan. Tkae the time to figure out exactly what you need to dothen go for it
    We are brothers!

Hail, the power of education!

Post Thanks / Like

lol does it show im a college student. Lol i love learning love educationg and learning (wow im a lsoer jk.) im sure you do to.And what a pefect topic for learning. Making money on somthing you love like detailing. I think im going to e-mail the dean and get him to start a class lol (dont we all wish)
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Japy,

as nyc_medic, go and check out what other shops in your area are charging and if you are able to see what type of work they do and ask them how long it takes for certain jobs.

The pricing will have many factors, the main one being your setup. If you have a shop prices may be abit more than mobile due to rent, and the type of products you use. If you are going mobile than you most likely will have higher prices for smaller jobs such as interior cleans and exterior wash, than local shops.

Also do a few full details, a wax, a clay/wax and see how long it takes you for each and how much work it is and that will help you decide on pricing. Some of my prices are less and some or more than other shops, because I feel certain jobs are worth a certain amount.

Hope that helps you out abit

Cheers
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed by adding rainx you plan to upcharge 15.00-20.00 bucks,that sounds like alot of money to put rainx on the windows. Like many have said call around and see what competition is and do a better job . good luck

Crazy1

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_medic
    I would say that you should do some homework, and go around to other detailing shops and see what they are charging this way you know if your prices are too low or too high. Look at your location and see what is the going price.
    I Agree!

Post Thanks / Like

CalgaryDetail are you a student at MRC?

also i want to get a meguiars detailing class going but i need more people !

Post Thanks / Like

yes i sure am i love it. Im actullling looking at finsihing a degree in enterpise there. I love mrs i have only good things to say. as far as the megs detailing i would be more thenhappy to sign up. I could also probley get maybe 5 people if i tried. Lets me know if oyu can get it. Also how many people do you need?

on a side note i would like to talk to u a littl emroe personlay about u starting up a buinsess and what market you after.
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen22
    I noticed by adding rainx you plan to upcharge 15.00-20.00 bucks,that sounds like alot of money to put rainx on the windows. Like many have said call around and see what competition is and do a better job . good luck
    Yeah, ditto on the mystery shopper thing.
    brenton
    Brenton Dickieson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information