Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What % of people get their cars detailed?

if interest rates for loans and leases rise, you have a shot.
    Watch that $399 per month BMW lease be a thing of the past. People may buy used and have to take care of their cars a little better if they want to make them last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    if interest rates for loans and leases rise, you have a shot.
    Watch that $399 per month BMW lease be a thing of the past. People may buy used and have to take care of their cars a little better if they want to make them last.
    You mean people would start taking care of their cars??? :shock: HAHA That`ll be the day...

Compliant User Title
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe the detailing industry needs to change. Maybe someone needs to come up with product that can cut detailing time, thus lowering price while increasing volume of sales.

like someone said, today`s cars dont need much babying and people jsut dont care.

gotta change with the times

Post Thanks / Like

JSATEK,

If you do not have any experience working in a dealership, but would want to what job would you recommend, sales, service advisor, financing dept, body shop etc....? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pad Man
    The trade magazines that I receive info from are showing that more people are keeping their cars longer, and spending more time and money on aftermarket items to keep their car nice looking including car care items. Just my .02

I think that is one thing alot of detail business owners may overlook. It`s not just competition that you need to worry about, or people not wanting to spend such and so amount on detailing, you also have to worry about those who decide to do it their selves. Some people could think that simply washing ($5 for soap) their car and applying some Eagle One Wax as u Dry ($5 a bottle) that they`ve just detailed the outside of their car. Then they get some interior foam carpet cleaner ($4) and take care of the interior. Although the results are far from a real detail, the car may actually look somewhat better (in their eyes) and not to mention, they just spent $14 compared to $160 minimum (my starting price) to have someone else do it.

I totally agree that marketing to those with disposable money, busy, etc. is the route to take.
    AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    most of the people who get there car detailed are economicly secure. I find that the majory, but now all detail jobs are on sports cars and high end cars. The people dont want to spend 150k + on a car to have it get wrecked. Also the people who can aford those cars can afford 200+ for a detail. I thik you will have to market to the people with money.
    not sure this is 100% true some people with G35 get their cars detailed... i dont know if this is "high end" but i have also done RAV4s and their not exactly high end eather

sometimes it is worth spending the extra time with someone who doesn`t think their car needs to be detailed. Tell them how detailing is protecting their 30-300G investment. take out a xenon gun and show them what swirl marks are. I find that 20% of the people i talk to will give me a call back

Post Thanks / Like

the oprative word was most. I know there are people with lower end cars that get them detailed. And just becasue you have money dosen mean you spedn 200k on a car. I think a g35 is out of alot of people price ranege (maybe not in cakgary with the oil boom) but this people who can afford $40k+ cars can afford a detail (most, but not all, of those people are fincial secure or pretendto be) But a peron with a $5k car most likely dosent have the dispoable income to detail there car. You have to remember that detailing is very econmicly driven. It is based on disposable income and those with more money NORMALY have more dispoable income to spend on there cars. I have yet to find a person making 20 bucks and hr living by themselvs paying rent who had 200 bucks to spedn on a car. Your just used to a city that is flowwing with money (which is a really good thing for the small buisiness owner) but im not sure were everyone else is from or the economic situtation of that location.
    Take eastern and western canada. In calgary the average house price is one of the highest in canada, meaning we have a booming ecnomy and lots of disposable income and a result. If you compare this to Newfound land you may be supprised. They are a have not provinve to the chances of having a lucrative market is smaller
    p.s its fincial secure meaning they make enough to support and average life, im not talking about indepently wealthy thats a whole nother issue
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    Here is an easy one to relate to:

When I was in high school ,1988,my father made me work in our autobody shop and paid me $100 per day. I loved doing the work, I got to work at 6:30am and left at 5pm. I was the man!

When I graduated college he made me the GM of our Cadillac/GMC Truck dealership. (no longer my job or business) I was getting paid $1000 per day + a portion of the profit + any car(s) I wanted to drive, I didnt really like the day to day job but the money justified the work. I had to pull myself out of bed on Saturday to go in and work.

I may have been happier painting cars and working in the bodyshop, it was a lot of fun. The job earned me instant gratification. A car would come in smashed and I would make it like new in a matter of days. Pride.

But now I am 35 and my body most likely would not have held up to that abuse forever. I didnt think about this type of stuff when I was 20. Without sounding arrogant, having the money makes some things in life easy, leaving you with less to worry about.
    You make some good point`s! Out of curiosity what was your major in College?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    the oprative word was most. I know there are people with lower end cars that get them detailed. And just becasue you have money dosen mean you spedn 200k on a car. I think a g35 is out of alot of people price ranege (maybe not in cakgary with the oil boom) but this people who can afford $40k+ cars can afford a detail (most, but not all, of those people are fincial secure or pretendto be) But a peron with a $5k car most likely dosent have the dispoable income to detail there car. You have to remember that detailing is very econmicly driven. It is based on disposable income and those with more money NORMALY have more dispoable income to spend on there cars. I have yet to find a person making 20 bucks and hr living by themselvs paying rent who had 200 bucks to spedn on a car. Your just used to a city that is flowwing with money (which is a really good thing for the small buisiness owner) but im not sure were everyone else is from or the economic situtation of that location.
    Take eastern and western canada. In calgary the average house price is one of the highest in canada, meaning we have a booming ecnomy and lots of disposable income and a result. If you compare this to Newfound land you may be supprised. They are a have not provinve to the chances of having a lucrative market is smaller
    p.s its fincial secure meaning they make enough to support and average life, im not talking about indepently wealthy thats a whole nother issue
    You’re right people that don’t make a lot of money USUALLY don’t get their cars detailed, but people that you meet at car shows 95% of the time aren’t extremely affluent they just love cars and the way they look. Also Calgary is an easy place to find people that want their cars detailed, I am just 17 and I have detailed about 25 cars for money including a silver SL500. I don’t consider it a business because it’s more or less a hobby that gives me a little bit of extra spending money from time to time. When I was referring to educating the un-educated (in detailing) customer I was referring to people at car shows mostly because they usually don’t know that there is something wrong with their paint. Just tell the people about the 3P’s, as Mike Phillips calls them, Paint, Products & Procedures.

Moreover the on the first part of the post, I would say that there is a large group of "Financially Secure" people in Calgary. People with tons of money are everywhere. An example of this was when I when to the Calgary International Car Show and I saw a guy just bought a Rolls!! he literally wrote a check for over 300g and bought the car on the spot!!

Post Thanks / Like

lol that`s Calgary for you 300g is alot but I know a few people who could afford cars like that. I totally agree it`s only a hobby at this point but I`m sure at least for myself that will change. I`m not disagreeing with you however Calgary is a very different market than most. Which is great for detailers but in other makets it`s not so easy so I would personally cater to the people with more money
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

yes calgary is a great place to be a detailer....if the weather was nice

Post Thanks / Like

very true. but it looks liek this summer is going to be nice and warm
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

hopefully lol
    wow i am tired or replying to your posts... you seem to post a lot here

Post Thanks / Like

lmao well just the last couple days. im stuck in studying and i get broed of history lol. Its seems like weve hijacked this thread. opps
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    This is an interesting thread,How many of us look at cars in parking lots or while stopped at the light just to eye them up and realize your looking at this car and telling yourself how you can make it look better.Thats the answer other then a wash i see very few cars that are detailed. people want a clean car and if their cars happens to have a nice shine then this is all they want.If i was to do this part time i would target highend cars because that is who has the cash to throw at a detail think about it the average person gripes about putting gas in their car and their gonna pay $150.00 to $300.00 for a detail. if im wrong please tell me.
    You`re absolutely right. When I started part time about 5 years ago, I started building a customer base. Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately I was laid off from my job almost 2 1/2 years ago and was blessed to have something to fall back on (auto detailing). I have built up my mobile detail business strickly by way of car washes and word of mouth. I use to do extra stuff for customers like cleaning floor mats etc. But I had to cease doing the extras and had to point out to my customers the importance of caring for the vehicles both interior and exterior. It may not be a lot to some of you guys, but I now have 11 customers that get full details once every 3 months (scheduled). Even now when I just do a car wash, I point out various things that needs to be done, carpets, upholsery, oxidation, water spots, sap, scratches, swirls etc. Some of them responds by getting there cars detailed. Each customer is different and above all honesty is so very important.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information