Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What % of people get their cars detailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    Unfortunately a very small percentage. In today`s disposable world, cars are traded in regularly, clearcoats even with minimal maintenence look pretty good for many years with swirl-o-matic care and then half the country is leasing cars and could care less since they will be giving it back in 2-3 years. There is a market and sometimes it`s hard to find it, but with diligence and hard work you can succeed

I would have to agree with that 100%

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover
    How can I convince these people that others do pay to get their cars detailed. And what percent of people do you think get their cars detailed?
    Unless the people you`re trying to convince are the source of capital for your busniess, I wouldn`t spend as much time trying to convince them that people will spend the money as I would seeking out the people who actually do spend the money.

In the area I live, it is mostly middle-class, but there is a community across the bay that is definately upper-class, and now that the weather is warming up and the days are getting longer, I`m starting to get a lot more calls, and most of the ones interested in a full detail are from this part of town. They own expensive cars and want to keep them looking that way.

Like any business venture, you need to target to your intended customer base. LIke it`s already been posted here, that base is small, but the`ve got the money and they`re not afraid to spend it. Another thing I`ve been doing that seems like it is starting to work, is to offer a little bit of a lower price of a simple interior/exterior cleaning. Do a good job on those, and you`ll have an easier time convincing them to move up to the next level, especially if they`re a repeat customer. Sometimes if I have someone who seems like he`s on the fence, I`ll do a little extra cleaning or shining up to show them the potential their vehicle has. It`s starting to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    If you can build a customer base on a part time basis, you will have a much better idea of what to expect if you go full time.
    It isn`t at all based on fact, but I`d bet more mobil detailers are in the $20,000 to $30,000 range annually than in the $50,000+ range. A lot depends on what you want.
    "Money isn`t everything", is a phrase most often used by those that have money. While it doesn`t buy happiness, it sure makes the bad times easier to get through.
    Charles
    Well the thing is, I want to go full time for the summer since I currently don`t have a job and because of my school schedule when it starts back in the fall, I`ll have 5 days free to do it as well. Then comes winter though. I`m sure I`ll get a lot of wash and vacs, but not detailing. I`m not sure about most of you, but just washing a car in near freezing weather isn`t too much fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WindSwords
    You can come up with more if you think about it. Another way to educate your (potential) customers is to buy a 30x magnifier from a jewelry or detail suplier. Show them the difference between your car which is detailed (clayed, polished, etc.) and their car which has only been thru a carwash. Everyone should get one of these they are not too expensive. A small picture album of your work will also go along way in demonstrating the difference in your work vs a carwash and vacuum. Be sure to include before as well as after pictures. Anyone can show pictures of a nice clean car, it`s the dramatic difference that sells the service.
    I have thought about this, but I`m afraid if I show people with a magnifier they`re going to say or think, "If I have to look through a 30X magnifier to see the problems with my car, it`s not going to matter." You know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by WindSwords
    Second you need to market to the right people. There are plenty of threads about this but the main thing is you have to target your efforts to people who have A.) disposable income and B.) are busy and protective of there limited free time. These are usually highly paid professionals who work long hours and therefore do not want to spend their free time taking care of their cars, they want to enjoy it doing other things.
    I actually have some contacts that will allow me to get some high end customers, but I`m still afraid (because of pervious experience with people that have money) that just because they have lots of spending cash that they won`t drop it to have their car detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by WindSword
    Third you need to have a range of services so that you offer more than just a $100-200 detail. Most recommed 3-5 service offerings. The lowest being a wash and vacuum and the highest being an ultimate detail with all the trimmings.
    I was planning on doing that, but once again, I`m worried it will turn into just regular washes, which won`t make me much money by time I figure up gas and equipment and truck wear and tear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phideaux
    Unless the people you`re trying to convince are the source of capital for your busniess, I wouldn`t spend as much time trying to convince them that people will spend the money as I would seeking out the people who actually do spend the money.

In the area I live, it is mostly middle-class, but there is a community across the bay that is definately upper-class, and now that the weather is warming up and the days are getting longer, I`m starting to get a lot more calls, and most of the ones interested in a full detail are from this part of town. They own expensive cars and want to keep them looking that way.

Like any business venture, you need to target to your intended customer base. LIke it`s already been posted here, that base is small, but the`ve got the money and they`re not afraid to spend it. Another thing I`ve been doing that seems like it is starting to work, is to offer a little bit of a lower price of a simple interior/exterior cleaning. Do a good job on those, and you`ll have an easier time convincing them to move up to the next level, especially if they`re a repeat customer. Sometimes if I have someone who seems like he`s on the fence, I`ll do a little extra cleaning or shining up to show them the potential their vehicle has. It`s starting to work.
    Thankfully there isn`t much competition around here and only a couple that do mobile detailing that I could find and they are a decent distance away from here. That may be a bad thing though being others couldn`t make it...

Even with a wash n vac type of package, how can I compete with the local full service wash that does it for $15. Sure mine is a hand wash, but once again, to most people clean means, having no visible dirt on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

THIS IS a good thread..........and definately realistic
    fact most people defi a a clean car buy washing the outside and vacuuming the interior......and to be honest its not worth my time and energy to do that.
    i do alot of business out of my house and drag my stuff outside practically takes the same amount of time to do a wash and vac..JUST NOT WORTH IT and i tell people that, there are tons of places around here that do a wash and vac for 20 bucks
    however most people can be talked into a full 100 plus dollar detail like once or twice a year you have to justify the price NOT EVERY WEEK OR ONCE A MONTH (though that would be sweet)
    its like buying a car ; imagine what life would be like if automobile companies invested no time and money into advertising and product reasearch.....just pictures no words or descriptions just PRICE car A and car B both cars look good however why is one car $10,000 dollars and why is the other car $70,000, why on earth would spend 70,000 on a car when i can get one for 10g.......thats how people view car detailing........you gotta sell yourself
    and your quality job
    i have never met a person that would not spend about 100 bucks for car detail.......SELL SELL SELL
    iam a sure everyone on here does A++++ WORK........so you have to SELL A PLUS WORK.....if you are not good at sales DONT EXPECT TO MAKE ANY MONEY DETAILING......just work at a car dealership detailing cars getting ten bucks an hour, or whatever
    50% is your quality job..........50% is selling the job
    YOU HAVE TO SELL YOURSELF LIKE A WHORE.......

Post Thanks / Like

Even with a wash n vac type of package, how can I compete with the local full service wash that does it for $15. Sure mine is a hand wash, but once again, to most people clean means, having no visible dirt on the car.
    People should expect you to charge more and you have too b/c it wouldn`t be worth your time to do it for 15$, . Dont worry what their charging, charge enought that makes it worth while for you. I mean you are goin to their home or business right?....They don`t even have to move. You`ll find some people will love this convenience and will pay for it, as long as you do a good job. Bottom line is don`t cut yourself short trying to compete with a local car wash, b/c most likely your work is much better than thiers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully there isn`t much competition around here and only a couple that do mobile detailing that I could find and they are a decent distance away from here. That may be a bad thing though being others couldn`t make it...
    Not a bad thing, it looks like a great opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

most of the people who get there car detailed are economicly secure. I find that the majory, but now all detail jobs are on sports cars and high end cars. The people dont want to spend 150k + on a car to have it get wrecked. Also the people who can aford those cars can afford 200+ for a detail. I thik you will have to market to the people with money.
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKWRX
    THIS IS a good thread..........and definately realistic
    fact most people defi a a clean car buy washing the outside and vacuuming the interior......and to be honest its not worth my time and energy to do that.
    i do alot of business out of my house and drag my stuff outside practically takes the same amount of time to do a wash and vac..JUST NOT WORTH IT and i tell people that, there are tons of places around here that do a wash and vac for 20 bucks
    however most people can be talked into a full 100 plus dollar detail like once or twice a year you have to justify the price NOT EVERY WEEK OR ONCE A MONTH (though that would be sweet)
    its like buying a car ; imagine what life would be like if automobile companies invested no time and money into advertising and product reasearch.....just pictures no words or descriptions just PRICE car A and car B both cars look good however why is one car $10,000 dollars and why is the other car $70,000, why on earth would spend 70,000 on a car when i can get one for 10g.......thats how people view car detailing........you gotta sell yourself
    and your quality job
    i have never met a person that would not spend about 100 bucks for car detail.......SELL SELL SELL
    iam a sure everyone on here does A++++ WORK........so you have to SELL A PLUS WORK.....if you are not good at sales DONT EXPECT TO MAKE ANY MONEY DETAILING......just work at a car dealership detailing cars getting ten bucks an hour, or whatever
    50% is your quality job..........50% is selling the job
    YOU HAVE TO SELL YOURSELF LIKE A WHORE.......

Well if I could get my detail price down to $100, I think more people would be willing to take the jump, but unfortunately I can`t. That $125+ price point is enough to put it above most people. I don`t want to drop the quality of my service just to get it down to $99 though.

Thankfully I can sell, and I love it. A huge part of selling is confidence. I think a lot of people that try to sell just don`t have it. I love when someone without confidence tries to sell me. I tear them apart until they give up.

BTW, good example using the price of cars. I might use that while selling certain people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe`s Detail
    People should expect you to charge more and you have too b/c it wouldn`t be worth your time to do it for 15$, . Dont worry what their charging, charge enought that makes it worth while for you. I mean you are goin to their home or business right?....They don`t even have to move. You`ll find some people will love this convenience and will pay for it, as long as you do a good job. Bottom line is don`t cut yourself short trying to compete with a local car wash, b/c most likely your work is much better than thiers.

True. On a nice day, the wait to get a wash and vac can be 25 minutes. For some people the extra money would be more than worth it if they could be doing something productive at work or home during that time.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Rich or poor, its always good to have money! - I love that quote.

There are 2 jobs in life, the job you love and the job you have.
    Typicallly the job you love doesn`t pay the kind of money that one would want to live on, but there are non monetary rewards. (I, for one, am stressed out of my mind most of the day, that is not a benefit, it is a requirement of the lifestyle I lead.)
    You need to figure out what makes you happy. I thought of opening a detail garage recently for a friend, I canned the idea only because I didn`t have the time to reinvent myself, the bills just keep coming.
    every job/business has its share of problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    Rich or poor, its always good to have money! - I love that quote.

There are 2 jobs in life, the job you love and the job you have.
    Typicallly the job you love doesn`t pay the kind of money that one would want to live on, but there are non monetary rewards. (I, for one, am stressed out of my mind most of the day, that is not a benefit, it is a requirement of the lifestyle I lead.)
    You need to figure out what makes you happy. I thought of opening a detail garage recently for a friend, I canned the idea only because I didn`t have the time to reinvent myself, the bills just keep coming.
    every job/business has its share of problems.
    That`s a great point and something that I needed to hear. I could probably make more money doing what I was doing last summer, but I really disliked it. If I had a few more hours each day, I would detail for free. Since I won`t be able to have another job and detail at the same time, I want to make enough that makes it worth while.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

That`s a great point and something that I needed to hear. I could probably make more money doing what I was doing last summer, but I really disliked it. If I had a few more hours each day, I would detail for free. Since I won`t be able to have another job and detail at the same time, I want to make enough that makes it worth while.
    Here is an easy one to relate to:

When I was in high school ,1988,my father made me work in our autobody shop and paid me $100 per day. I loved doing the work, I got to work at 6:30am and left at 5pm. I was the man!

When I graduated college he made me the GM of our Cadillac/GMC Truck dealership. (no longer my job or business) I was getting paid $1000 per day + a portion of the profit + any car(s) I wanted to drive, I didnt really like the day to day job but the money justified the work. I had to pull myself out of bed on Saturday to go in and work.

I may have been happier painting cars and working in the bodyshop, it was a lot of fun. The job earned me instant gratification. A car would come in smashed and I would make it like new in a matter of days. Pride.

But now I am 35 and my body most likely would not have held up to that abuse forever. I didnt think about this type of stuff when I was 20. Without sounding arrogant, having the money makes some things in life easy, leaving you with less to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

The trade magazines that I receive info from are showing that more people are keeping their cars longer, and spending more time and money on aftermarket items to keep their car nice looking including car care items. Just my .02

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information