Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reflection Perfection Reflctn Perfctn's Avatar
    Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester, Fairfield countys NY and CT
    Post Thanks / Like

How to keep water and equipment from freezing in winter months????

What do yuo mobile guys do to keep your water tanks and equipment from freezing in winter months????? This will be my first winter in business and i was thinking of transfering my water tanka dn pressure washer from my trailer to the inside of my bed of my truck and installing aheater in the back and turning it on like 3 hours prior to going to the location where i am goin to work! I am just worried about fire safety.
    Reflection Perfection, Mobil Car Wash & Detailing....Serving Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam and Fairfield countys, NY and CT.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to keep water and equipment from freezing in winter months????

Hi,I have had this problem for years what i find helps is to lag your water tanks .
    Even an old blanket or too will do this also cuts down on the condensation on the inside of the roof which cant be a bad thing it wont stop your outlet pipe from freezing up if you can remove these at night when your done befor the next day I would sugest that also dont leave your power washer in your vehicle at night as the hose on that can freeze.
    Having had the motor freeze on a jet wash in the past this all makes sense it can happen and they just cook in front of you .
    If it gets to the point where my pipes are frozen and the tank has ice its not a good day to wash cars .
    I have come tao accept there are some days that you just cant wash cars also you want to avoid spraying water in zero temps we need to consider some one slipping and claiming damages .
    hope this helps.
    Jay

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not mobile, but my shop doesn`t have a drain, so I`m not sure how it`ll all work out this winter. It gets a little colder here.
    There may be a way of storing your trailer nearby. Put an ad in a local rag. I know car storage here is only $1/day in the winter, and just a little more in the city. I am renting a little space cheap this winter, and a lot of businesses slow down in the winter.
    Just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

What do yuo mobile guys do to keep your water tanks and equipment from freezing in winter months?????

MOVE TO FLORIDA!!! :w00t:
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like

Drain it and wait until March...

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like superior shine said move to florida, lol. Alright I know the conditions up there during the winter. I would just drain your tank all the way at night and fill it up in the morning. That way you`ll have no issues with the water freezing over. For your pressure washer/equipment that can freeze up, I would just bring it in the house at night. That would be your best bet.

Reflection Perfection Reflctn Perfctn's Avatar
    Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester, Fairfield countys NY and CT
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaah move to florida! To be honest not alot of peopel think you can make alot of money in the winter in the northeast, but they are totally wrong! My friend owns a hand car wash and as soon as salt hits the next day he does over 700 cars and profits over 5500$$$! in ONE DAY!!!! So I am excited to see what exactly a mobile detailer can do when salt hits...I just want my equipment to hold up.
    Reflection Perfection, Mobil Car Wash & Detailing....Serving Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam and Fairfield countys, NY and CT.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m curious to see what solution you come up with, since if you get a freeze, all your equipment could be ruinedddddddd.

I`m going to run a salt/rust awareness program in the winter, but I`m not mobile. Unfortunately, my shop doesn`t have a drain.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of a mobile detailer from Kanas City,MO that comes down every winter and parks at huge office building and leaves as soon as it starts warming up. He told me that his equipment would freeze up just from driving from one appointment to another and he is south of you. I`ve even heard of detailers as far north as NY come down to deep south Texas to detail RV`s for SNOW BIRDS during the winter months.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have a mobile unit and my tanks and pressure washer are bolted in the rear of a mini van . I run an anti freeze solution thruogh my pressure washer prior to shutting down for the day and I drain my tanks at the end of the day. When I set up for work the following day I fill my tank ( using just enough water for the day ) and I flush out my pressure washer and hoses with clean water. i have been doing this for 20 years and the only time my pressure washer froze on me was the time i did not run the anti freeze through it, I have had my pressure washer sit with the anti freeze solution for the entire winter and come the spring it ran just fine. Hope this helps.
    frankie k`s auto kleen

Post Thanks / Like

Karwaxer, one time I was washing a car just before sunrise and it was just above freezing. Besides my hands being cold, everything was fine. Started to vacuum and it must have dropped a degree or two and when starting to dry, there was a sheet of ice on the car. How do you deal with that, just wondering?

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SA Detailer
    Karwaxer, one time I was washing a car just before sunrise and it was just above freezing. Besides my hands being cold, everything was fine. Started to vacuum and it must have dropped a degree or two and when starting to dry, there was a sheet of ice on the car. How do you deal with that, just wondering?
    Wow sa detail, it must have been the coldest day on record in san antonio for the water to flash freeze and turn to ice on your car. Water freezes at 32 degrees And even then it doesn`t freeze instantly. How cold was it there for the water to do that??

Post Thanks / Like

Just the roof formed a thin sheet of ice and it was about two years ago. Never happened before or after again.

Post Thanks / Like

Window washer fluid. Run it through your pumps and lines when you are done. As for the tank water itself, generally here we only get into the teens or twenties and my tank won`t freeze completely. I did hit a spell a few years ago were it was in single digits to 30 degrees for days in a row. When it finally broke my tank was frozen solid. Best to wait till you get up to fill the tank if temperatures will be that low. Now how do you wash a car when it`s freezing. In general if I can`t get to 30 degrees I don`t bother trying. In the sun you can get away with a little below freezing. I`ve considered buying one of the heaters that mount to a propane grill tank or the ones that look like a cannon. If for no other reason then personal comfort I`ve never gotten used to working in the winter. I manage and get through it every year but hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superior Shine
    MOVE TO FLORIDA!!! :w00t:
    Yup and get kiled by Hurricane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information