Post Thanks / Like

looking for some tips

Hey guys I`m trying to start a mobile detailing business and have a couple questions I currently work full time at a shop that does window tinting and al tha aftermarket stuff imaginable not detailing tho I`m working 5 days a week 9 hours a day and I`m not quite ready to "quit my day job" has anyone had any success detailing after hours and on weekends?? Ide like to make as much extra money I can to throw at my business venture before I take the leap and start making my own paychecks any tips/advice would be more than appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: looking for some tips

Yes, I done it for years and was much better off than I am relying on just detailing to pay the bills and feed the kids. Youve got to have one hell of a STEADY client base to be able to make any kind of living from it, especially when your just starting out.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you done a projected income and expense scenario? Get somebody to help you that understands business and sit down and do a projected P&L....that`ll tell you whether it`s worth it or not
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

On the side and on weekends is how many operate and start out. Like Mr.Clean stated, it is very difficult to rely on detailing to pay the bills.

Sounds like you`ve got a great line on potential customers. If there isn`t already a working relationship with your boss and another detailer you might be able to use your current situation as an "in" with customers. Be careful of the double edged sword, though. If you start becoming successful your boss might see the potential and cut you out all together and begin doing in house.

Post Thanks / Like

9-5 monday to friday 40 hour work week and detailing on the weekends (with an occasional sick / vacation day for detailing)

it is not easy doing both and trying to maintain some sort of `normal` life that you may have been accustomed to (just ask my fishing buds who used to see me 5am every saturday in may & june)

been doing this for a few years. building the skills, building the client base, building the resources. I`m constantly re-investing in the business

I`d recommend getting your feet wet quite a bit before considering any great leap of faith. you may realize its not for you or maybe you`re not as busy as you`d thought you`d be. or you may realize that its your calling and the phone is ringing off the hook. Either way you gotta test the waters and see if its your thing.

good luck
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of detailers start by doing just weekends. Then as business grows you will reach a point where you have to decide if this what you want to do full-time or not. A this point it is no longer a hobby but a business and will need to be treated as such.

As far as the long hours (doing both your job and detailing) get used to. Successful businesses are built by working when the competition isn`t. If your not comfortable with the hours, then work for somebody else and enjoy life

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    A lot of detailers start by doing just weekends. Then as business grows you will reach a point where you have to decide if this what you want to do full-time or not. A this point it is no longer a hobby but a business and will need to be treated as such.

As far as the long hours (doing both your job and detailing) get used to. Successful businesses are built by working when the competition isn`t. If your not comfortable with the hours, then work for somebody else and enjoy life
    Spot on. Consider 40hr job plust part time detailing training for the hours you`ll put in full time as a business. Paperwork, bookkeeping, and marketing are a part-time job in itself.

Just an example. I came in Monday at 7:30am didnt come home till 6pm Tuesday.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I think that`s a wise way to start. I work 40 hours a week at the post office delivering mail. and do 2 or 3 cars a week on the side. in the summer I can do more I have a high school kid who works with me. On a week with a federal holiday I can do an extra car or two thanks to the extra day off. Once you start doing it on your own you will see there`s not a ton of money in auto detailing. Lot of equipment to buy and maintain. it`s nice money on the side but your not going to get rich doing it. I would never go "fulltime" auto detailing. Good luck.

Thread Information