Post Thanks / Like
    Recently while I was detailing a car I was making a mental note of all the things I thought were important enough to note for the owner. So when I finish the job, I typed up a list and what I found was new found income. Here is a sample of the things I noted.

1. Paint chips on hood

2. Key scratched on drivers door

3. Wheel wells need painting

4. License Plate frame cracked

5. Molding loose on around wheel well

6. Hood liner brackets broken

I told the owner if he got the touch up paint I could handle the chips and where the door was keyed (wet sanding) along with painting the wheel wells. He made another appointment for next week to get the additional work done. You might want to consider this when working on a car, you might find some unfound money. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, I suggest you find a good dupont paint shop locally, and they can mix you some great air dry enamel for around $7/oz to match each vehicle paint code. Then you can not have to ask the customer to get the touch-up paint. I also recommend that you work on some wetsanding technique if you havent before. Nothing bugs me more than chips that are touched up and have a big bubble of paint.

Otherwide, very good idea, i have always just done a walk around with the customer and verbally pointed things out, and asked if they wanted them taken care of

Post Thanks / Like
    Work on wet sanding? you should check out my pics titled "remove painted pin striping" that pretty much pushed my skills to the limit, had to wet sand all around the entire car, as you can see from the pics. I have a trick with touch up anyway, I never use the brush that comes with the bottle. I get artist brushes. less paint, less problems. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I will search for it. Wet sanding is easy once you get the hang of it huh. If you want something even better than an artist brush, check out the ez dabber here http://www.ezmix.com/dabber.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not a toothpick? In the old days I heard they used matchsticks but I guess in the PC world nobody smokes anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    The bristles on the ez-dabber are sooooooooo much better than a toothpick. I have tried almost every method i can imagine to remove chips, and i have found these to work the best. People LOVE the seamless results they get with the dab and sand method, and the ez-dabbers make it, well, ez lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha-Ha! I was taught to use paper matchsticks when I went to school for collision repair! I also found that women are great at using the brushes that come with the touch-up paint since they paint their nails with a similar brush!

Thread Information