Post Thanks / Like
    A co-worker of my father wants me to detail a few of his cars and keep up with the exterior maintenance (thanks to his back, he can`t do it himself.) Normally not a big deal, but he`s a car nut and has some really nice vehicles, including an E-class Benz, a WS6 Trans Am, and a mint C1 Corvette.

The Trans Am shouldn`t faze me since I do my own car (a Formula of the same body style) all the time, but the Benz is a really expensive car, and I`m nervous as hell about touching a rare, garage-queen, low-mileage C1 Vette.

Are there any special steps or secrets you guys have for working on outsider`s cars? Working on that Benz and the Vette would be a far cry from my own car or my father`s `01 Silverado (as a favor, seeing as how he`s 50 years old and also has a bad back.) It`s been nothing more than a hobby (or a disease, whichever you want to call it) for me, never been paid or had an offer to detail for anyone else before. I`ve been told they`re all in great condition so I don`t think anything other than a minor polish (like VM or FPII) and a wax would be necessary, but I`d have to see them to judge.

What products would you opt for? Looks or durability first? I have a pretty decent arsenal of polishes and stuff to finish with (AIO, Menzerna FTG & FMJ, Gold Class paste, Mothers Reflections, Blackfire, Zaino, S100, Vanilla Moose, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you are careful and use the least aggressive steps you should be fine. It won`t be like you`re doing paint correction or anything so just imagine you`re working on your car and take your time. Have fun : D

Post Thanks / Like
    Be really careful on the C1 corvette. What year is it?53-62 are all classified as C1. None of them are cleared. That`s a whole different ballgame from the newer 2 part systems. I never use anything with alot of abaisives in it on my 65 and always have dedicated mfs for the car. You won`t believe how easy it is to change the color of your towels. I`d go so far as to decline the the vette if you`re at all uncomfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s why it was bothering me. I think if I do the Vette I`ll just avoid polishing all together, and if he asks, tell him why.

It`s a garage queen with next to no miles on it, so I doubt it really needs it anyway. Probably just clean and wax it, shine up all the metal exterior trim & wheels, glass, etc.

(EDIT: Don`t know what year it is. Was just told it was a first gen.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the AIO would be the choice for the vette since the polishers in it are very light?

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you be doing this work by hand or machine?

If you are afraid then I would stay doing it by hand. You can pick up some mild polishes and use them for a good result.

Just remember practice makes perfect. Every single person on this board (including me) was in the same situation as you at one time or another, we were not born detailers.

Maybe these tips can help you out.

1. Tape off all plastic trim so wax does not get on it

2. take your time on each panel. If you need to do one panel at a time do it, it may take longer but your end result will show it.

3. dont do all the cars in one day, you might get tired and make a big mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll use my PC on the newer cars, but I won`t use it on the Corvette because I`ve never worked on a single-stage before (and something as rare and nice as that I wouldn`t think of learning on.)

I`ll just offer a wash and wax on that one. I`m sure the opportunity to gain some practice on single-stage paints will come eventually, just not on a car like that.

Thread Information