That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve washed several bikes, but never a complete detail. My shop averages $175 for sedans, and $225 for most SUVs.

I`ve already done 4 cars for this gentleman. He says the bike is very "chromey". It is a garage queen.

Any help on pricing guidelines? Thanks!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would give him an hourly rate based off your other detail jobs. Bikes are smaller, but have much more intricate details.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jimamary

I`ve washed several bikes, but never a complete detail. My shop averages $175 for sedans, and $225 for most SUVs.

I`ve already done 4 cars for this gentleman. He says the bike is very "chromey". It is a garage queen.

Any help on pricing guidelines? Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

Detailing a Harley is a labor of love.

I have done a few Harleys and I probably over-charge a bit. My prices for an average Harley are about 25% more than most SUV`s. Then again, I like to take my time[usually about 5 to 6 hrs], enjoy the work and make certain that the job is done right. And my customers really don`t mind the high price either.

Hey, where else can they get someone they can trust to take good care of their Harley.

Have fun...

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the condition of the bike. A garage queen in excellent shape, $75-100 depending on how intricate the chrome work is (about 2-3 hours of work...S100 Total Cycle Cleaner really saves a lot of time with the initial cleaning). A bike that needs extensive polishing, deep cleaning, etc you can expect to spend 4-6 hours and should charge accordingly ($125-200).
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Scott and Frank. The last custom bike I did took longer than I thought it would, about 5 hours. I charged too little and next time will price them more like cars or a little higher, $150-200.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bret-pretty suprising how much time it can take to detail something the size of a Harley, eh? Harley owners can afford it anyway if they want it done right. Have you priced a new one lately?
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Bret-pretty suprising how much time it can take to detail something the size of a Harley, eh? Harley owners can afford it anyway if they want it done right. Have you priced a new one lately?

I was into Harleys a few years ago and wanted one bad but they were at the height of their popularity with used ones selling for more than new prices so all I could afford was a jacket

The Atlanta Journal Constitution had a small article about a local motorcycle detailer a while back. I can`t recall if he mentioned pricing (prolly did) but I do recall he said he had all the biz he could handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Ya know, I really never knew how much time I could spend detailing a Harley until I actually did one. That is when I found out that it is the kind of thing that you can`t do in a hurry.

Most of the bikes that I get to do are owned by my current car detailing customers. So they already know how I take my time with their car and it`s only natural that I would be the one to take care of their bike.

Since they can see how much time I spend on their bike they are more than willing to pay the high price.

Also, when you can slow down and really take your time it`s so enjoyable that you almost get the feeling that you should be paying them. Hey, I wouldn`t tell them that.

I get that same feeling when I`m working on those boats at their docks in the middle of summer.

When you have the job priced right you can really sit back and enjoy the view.

Post Thanks / Like
    "When you have the job priced right you can really sit back and enjoy the view."

Agreed! Most Harleys are a rolling work of art!
    www.scottwax.com

Thread Information