Post Thanks / Like

My start up - Dun-rite Mobile Detailing

Hey everyone,

Overview:

I`m new here but been lurking around. Want to kind of introduce myself as well as give an overview of my operation if you`re interested.

I started the idea of Dun-Rite Mobile Detailing in November of last year. I work as a professional fireman and the schedule gives me a lot of time off (20 days/month). I wanted to find a part time job detailing but found it difficult to find an employer who would work around my rotating schedule. I had been detailing for friends and family and always had good feedback and decided that I would offer my services publicly and become mobile.

Starting in November in Michigan obviously wasn`t the most opportune time but it allowed me to work out a lot of things I needed to before getting a ton of work. My old lady thought I had come up with the absolute worst business decision ever due to complete lack of work over the winter. This was expected, and since work is picking up now she is slowly getting on board. She likes the idea that this business will hopefully take the place of her working and allow her to be a stay at home mother. She must think I have something going for me; she just approved the purchase of a new Mytee Lite II!

There was a ton of information available for starting out and I felt very well educated in a lot of my decision. The more I got involved with it though it seemed difficult to find answers to certain questions. I felt as though these were secrets no one wanted to share and had to find the answers for myself.

I`d like to help anyone in a similar situation and offer my experiences to learn from.

In my area we have one detailing shop within 20 miles. Myself and others were displeased with the service we received there and I felt like our area could benefit from a quality detailing company, as well as a mobile service.

My mobile rig:
    Trailer - Haulin 5x8. I initially wanted to purchase a 6x10 for the double doors, added head room and storage space but decided on the 5x8. This ended up being crucial for me as the restrictions in my city do not allow me to park a commercial vehicle outside on my property. The 5x8 fits in my standard garage with about an inch of clearance on the top. I`ve found the 5x8 to have sufficient room for me so far. The only thing I do not have in my trailer is a generator and if I need to make room for that at some point I`ll cross that bridge at that time.

Lettering:
    I have a co-worker who does vinyl decals and designed/lettered my trailer for me. He charged me $450 and I didn`t ask if that was a normal rate or if I received a discount.

Water system:
    I have a 65 gallon water tank plumbed to a 12 volt Shurflo 2.5 GPM pump. That is plumbed to a gated wye. One end connects to the power washer, the other is connected to a short hose for filling bottles/buckets. I have a car battery mounted next the pump that I connect with alligator clips. I wired in a switch that is easy to access near the back of the trailer.

Pressure washer:
    I chose a Landa pressure washer that runs off a Honda engine. I went with this model due to it being commercial grade. I could have bought a cheaper model but wanted my equipment to be designed for use in a commercial situation.

Tools/other equipment:
    Foam cannon
    Flex 3401
    Dewalt rotary
    Mytee Lite 8070 (on its way)
    Stanley 6HP shop vac
    Dewalt cordless drill

Products:
    I wanted to stock mostly products from one manufacturer, and I had decided on Meguiars based on quality and price. I`ve branched out some, but still try to keep my brand selection limited.
    Wash: Chemical Guys Honeydew
    Wax: Meguiars D151
    Wax: Klasse AIO
    Wax: Pinnacle Souveran
    Wax: Meguiars X-press
    Wax: Hydro 2
    APC: Chemical Guys All clean+
    APC: Chemical Guys Fabric clean
    Dressing: Meguiars All Season
    Dressing: Meguiars Hyper dressing
    Compound: Meguiars 105
    Polish: Meguiars 205
    There`s some odd and end products, but those come to mind off the top of my head.

Packages/services:
    I`ve recently re-structured my packages and services. I condensed a confusing menu of services into an easy to understand menu.
    Interior package one: Interior detail without carpet shampoo
    Interior Package two: Interior detail with carpet champoo

Exterior package one: AIO (D151 or Klasse)
    Exterior Package two: Compound and polish

Full detail: Interior with carpet shampoo, AIO exterior.

Add-ons: Spray wax, fabric protection, premium wax, headlight restoration, isolated scratch removal.

I added the "full detail" package after many customers would call and ask simply for a "full detail." These customers didn`t want to read all my services and choose what they wanted, they simply wanted a "Full detail."

I offer spray wax as an add-on service with interior details if the vehicle has been detailed by us within the past 2 months.

Advertising/marketing:
    I`ve used Facebook extensively to get the name of the business out there. I created the FB page and offered free details or gift certificates at milestones (100 likes, 200 likes, etc.) This, along with sharing the page on local FB groups has helped give me some brand recognition. I tried Google Ad words with very poor results. I have an ad being published in a small, local paper that is distributed weekly to restaurants and other small businesses in my service area that I hope will get the attention of the pre-facebook generation.

Insurance:
    I called around and got multiple quotes for insurance for the truck, trailer and liability. The best quote I found was through Farm Bureau Insurance. All together with truck, trailer and liability it was around 300/month. The liability insurance alone was 350/year. Some companies quoted me 1-5 thousand dollars a year. Not sure how they can vary so wildly but glad I did my research.

Conclusion:
    I think that`s as much as I can think of right now.

I`ll post some pictures of my rig after I receive the my Mytee and determine the best way to secure it as it may involve some rearranging.

Thanks for reading! I know it`s long winded, but I`m excited to have started this journey and enjoy sharing my experience. Hopefully someone finds it helpful. If you got a second, check out the website and FB page and give it a like!

Www.dunritemobiledetailing.com Dun-Rite Mobile Detailing llc - St. Clair, Michigan - Car Wash & Detailing, Automotive Restoration | Facebook

If anyone has questions, advice or criticism please feel free to comment. I`m more than willing to give details on anything I`ve done right or wrong to help someone else out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My start up - Dun-rite Mobile Detailing

Awesome! Looking forward to some pics!

I had a mobile detailing business back in 2004-2007, and it was very successful. I always wanted a trailer, but ended up outfitting a GMC Van instead.

My favorite part:
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the F-350 certainly speaks for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and good luck!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Stay tuned for pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

As promised! Here`s the pictures of my rig! Still have to mount the mytee and shop vac but that`s where they`ll live. I also built the shelf in the nose of the trailer but haven`t utilized it yet.

My gallon size products are on the bottom of the shelf, then the next shelf holds less commonly used small bottles and pastes. Also rotary pads and accessories are stored there as they do not fit in the drawers. Top shelf is pre mixed products from concentrate along with misc supplies.

Pads, microfibers, wash mits, drying towels, clay and all my brushes are stored in the drawers.

I`m looking into creating more storage on the door for bottles since I`ve run out. Would like to have two long holders as opposed to multiple smaller ones.

Thanks for looking! Any questions please feel. Free to ask!

Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice setup! I really need to get something similar, but don`t own a truck

Post Thanks / Like

Been really busy between my full time job, detailing and being a family man lately but got some time to give an update.

With my full time job I get 20 days off every month. Lately, I`ve had more jobs than I can shake a stick at! I`ve been scheduling 2 cars/day on days I`m off and keeping 1 day a week off all together to be home with my family.

Here`s an update on how my advertising has worked out for me so far:

Facebook: 40% of my business. I maintain a business Facebook page and promote it by posting on our local community Facebook pages. I have done giveaways on the page to promote likes and get peoples attention and had good luck with that. I find these successful and will continue to do them perhaps once a month or every other month. my latest giveaway was a free interior OR exterior detail and gained a lot of attention.

Referrals: 40%. Clients have been happy with my work apparently because it seems like every other call is from someone who was referred! I offer a $10 credit to the new client and the referring client. I hope the fact that people are referring my services means they`ll be returning themselves! We`ve only been in "detailing season" here for 2 months so time will tell.

Google searches: 10% There`s not many detailers in my area and I`m the only one who`s mobile. I`ve had a few customers come across us on Google searches.

Public sighting: 10% Being out with the trailer, whether working or not, has gotten me a few jobs.

Local paper: 0%. I spent $100 for 5 weeks of advertising in a small, local newspaper that is distributed to customers at restaurants and the like. I haven`t had any clients from this ad.

Free advertising is the best!
    Likes Migue, ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you`re off to a good start. Nice trailer, clean easy to read lettering, simple understandable "menu" But I`ve got to ask, why are you giving us the finger in the pic? LOL (yes, I know it`s to cover the plate )
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don. I started off with a more complicated, a-la-carte type menu but found that most people didn`t know what the wanted/needed. It`s been more beneficial for both me and the customer to offer a certain process and deliver that, as opposed to picking and choosing what each customer wanted. Customers are happier and my process is getting more efficient.

I haven`t had much time to do anything other than work, but found some time today to add more bottle storage and a rack for wax bottles/smaller bottles on the door. Getting more organized is great, now I just need to stop adding more products to my lineup!

My bother-in-law helped me on two jobs this week. I was amazed at how quickly/efficiently we were able to complete each job as opposed to doing it myself! Seems like having 2 guys per job is the way to go as long as the work is steady.

Just habit to cover the plate, even though the phone number is all over the trailer!

Post Thanks / Like

looks good man. keep up the good work

Thread Information