Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, i would love to start a mobile car wash and detailing business. But the one problem i have is i have limited funds at the moment. Right now my budget is around 150 dollars, i want to start my business small. I don`t want to spend too much when starting out. I read online that it is possible, but i wanted to hear other opinions.

Is it possible for me to start this business for 150 dollars and under. If i could what products should I buy to save me money. Did anyone else start with a budget similar to mines. I look forward to hearing the different responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it for less then $600.00, The best thing I could have ever done for myself. Here is a little of my story.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...fe-i-know.html
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you start small and offer basic services like wash, wax and clay, sure. Even buying used, you`d be hard pressed to do any sort of paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP, its possible. Hell I think I started mine with a few hundred out of pocket and floating some expensives on personal credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    I did it for less then $600.00, The best thing I could have ever done for myself. Here is a little of my story.

To Holy ****, just read your other thread. Do not know how I missed that. Its great to see how you started, knowing and feeling that its how I got started in this industry. Hopefully one day I will have an established business similar to yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can, but would have to start off with wash and quick details only. Since you dont have a budget for a pressure washer, you will need to go waterless or use other peoples water.

The essentials:

Quick Detailer /Waterless Carwash Product or Soap if you have access to water. (Get one that you can use on windows as well)

Degreaser. (Find one that is safe enough for interior, yet strong enough for tires/engines. If you dont have water for rinsing, you will need alot of rags for wiping.)

Tire Dressing (Find one that you are happy with for tires and interior. Dilute for interior for a lower sheen. Use for leather as well, but switch to leather dressing when you can.)

Upholstery and Carpet Shampoo (Use the foaming aerosol can kind if you dont have access to water)

4 Sprayer Bottles, 4 applicator, value pack of microfibers, and two brushes - One for wheel and tires and one for carpets/interior.

If you shop around, you should be able to get a gallon of each and the accessories for $150 bucks.

If you have money left over: Express Wax (Great upsell over a a normal wash)
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben@Autopia
    You can, but would have to start off with wash and quick details only. Since you dont have a budget for a pressure washer, you will need to go waterless or use other peoples water.

The essentials:

Quick Detailer /Waterless Carwash Product or Soap if you have access to water. (Get one that you can use on windows as well)

Degreaser. (Find one that is safe enough for interior, yet strong enough for tires/engines. If you dont have water for rinsing, you will need alot of rags for wiping.)

Tire Dressing (Find one that you are happy with for tires and interior. Dilute for interior for a lower sheen. Use for leather as well, but switch to leather dressing when you can.)

Upholstery and Carpet Shampoo (Use the foaming aerosol can kind if you dont have access to water)

4 Sprayer Bottles, 4 applicator, value pack of microfibers, and two brushes - One for wheel and tires and one for carpets/interior.

If you shop around, you should be able to get a gallon of each and the accessories for $150 bucks.

If you have money left over: Express Wax (Great upsell over a a normal wash)

Thanks for the good list and suggestions. So it can be done, i was just interested in knowing if it was possible. I plan on saving up for a pressure washer and water tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal

Thanks for the great story on how you got started

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I started for around $250, but I used a lot of stuff I already had. This did include getting a polisher, pads, and polish though.Then after I made a little money I bought some more stuff, and now I have enough stuff to work with.

There are ways to save money though. For example, I don`t use a wheel brush or anything, just a microfiber sponge dipped in my ONR bucket I used for washing the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18
    I think I started for around $250, but I used a lot of stuff I already had. This did include getting a polisher, pads, and polish though.Then after I made a little money I bought some more stuff, and now I have enough stuff to work with.

There are ways to save money though. For example, I don`t use a wheel brush or anything, just a microfiber sponge dipped in my ONR bucket I used for washing the rest of the car.

Thanks for the response, 250 dollars is out of my budget for now. So you saved money on equipment by using a microfiber sponge instead of wheel brush. Are the brushes really expensive to buy, i thought tire brushes wouldn`t be that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry

Great story. First time I had seen that.

Nice to be able to wake up every day and really like what you do....to me - that`s wealth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I got started about 5 years ago with about $100 - $150 of Pep Boy`s bought stuff doing basic wash/wax/vacuum type jobs out of the back of my truck. I then got a Bissell Little Green and added carpet cleaning. Then got a PC 7424 and started practicing on friends and family`s cars. When I got good at light correction I started offering one-steps and two-steps. Then I found a good deal on a shop and have been there for about 8 months. Still working on a fairly tight budget, getting new equipment and offering new services as I go. So yes, It can be done if you are willing to work hard and do a quality job. Good luck!
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetails
    I think I got started about 5 years ago with about $100 - $150 of Pep Boy`s bought stuff doing basic wash/wax/vacuum type jobs out of the back of my truck. I then got a Bissell Little Green and added carpet cleaning. Then got a PC 7424 and started practicing on friends and family`s cars. When I got good at light correction I started offering one-steps and two-steps. Then I found a good deal on a shop and have been there for about 8 months. Still working on a fairly tight budget, getting new equipment and offering new services as I go. So yes, It can be done if you are willing to work hard and do a quality job. Good luck!

So you bought more equipment as you went along, that is what i would have to do. I wanted to offer all the services i could. But i will take it slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    start off with this..

APC+ (tires, trim, wheel wells, carpets, plastics, leather)

wheel brush (tires and wheel wells), carpet brush (carpets), soft bristled brush (leather and plastics)

leather conditioner (conditions leather)

plastic protectant (uv protection)

4 towels (drying towels, enough for 2-4 cars depending on how you wash)

8 MF towels (used for spray wax, tidy up areas)

ONR (washing every part of the car, inside and out)

glass cleaner (glass and drying aid in carpet)

tire dressing and applicator (tires, depending on what one you get, trim detailer)

vacuum (sucks)

spray wax (protection and gloss)

bucket (holds wash shampoo/ONR)

extension chord (supplies longer reach for power)

Use their water and power, or have them bring it to you (cuts down on travel expenses)

offer $25 washes, and $60 wash and waxes, and $120 complete details. Take what you need to live on per car, and then save the rest. do this for the next 2 weeks and you should have a few hundred saved. Then buy more products to keep you going (buy in bulk if possible). Then keep doing the same thing over and over and eventually you will be able to pocket the money and only buy supplies when you need them because you will have bought in bulk and it will save you in the end.

dont get into the hype of boutique products just yet... remember the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid). Dont PUSH the washes, rather push the details. washes are just for regular maintenance clients, not the one time jobs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    start off with this..

APC+ (tires, trim, wheel wells, carpets, plastics, leather)

wheel brush (tires and wheel wells), carpet brush (carpets), soft bristled brush (leather and plastics)

leather conditioner (conditions leather)

plastic protectant (uv protection)

4 towels (drying towels, enough for 2-4 cars depending on how you wash)

8 MF towels (used for spray wax, tidy up areas)

ONR (washing every part of the car, inside and out)

glass cleaner (glass and drying aid in carpet)

tire dressing and applicator (tires, depending on what one you get, trim detailer)

vacuum (sucks)

spray wax (protection and gloss)

bucket (holds wash shampoo/ONR)

extension chord (supplies longer reach for power)

Use their water and power, or have them bring it to you (cuts down on travel expenses)

offer $25 washes, and $60 wash and waxes, and $120 complete details. Take what you need to live on per car, and then save the rest. do this for the next 2 weeks and you should have a few hundred saved. Then buy more products to keep you going (buy in bulk if possible). Then keep doing the same thing over and over and eventually you will be able to pocket the money and only buy supplies when you need them because you will have bought in bulk and it will save you in the end.

dont get into the hype of boutique products just yet... remember the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid). Dont PUSH the washes, rather push the details. washes are just for regular maintenance clients, not the one time jobs!

Thanks for the good list, your list has all the products i need to start out with. I remember hearing the KISS approach i should stick with that. But with the equipment you listed will i be able to do a complete detail. I won`t have a rotary buffer, engine degreaser or clay bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mergefree
    Thanks for the response, 250 dollars is out of my budget for now. So you saved money on equipment by using a microfiber sponge instead of wheel brush. Are the brushes really expensive to buy, i thought tire brushes wouldn`t be that expensive.

Yeah, I still use a no name MF sponge and towel to do all my wheels actually. Scrub with the sponge and dry with the towel.

I think they were given to me a few years ago for xmas. I`m guessing it`s from AutoZone, or somewhere similar. I love using the sponge because it does a good job covering everything, and can fit in almost anywhere. I did notice the seams are starting to loosen though, so I might need to find some more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information