Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

How would you guys go about designing a print ad for a local newsletter. Specs are 1/8" page size, 3.75" x 2.25"

I have ms word and created some sort of box and put my logo at the top and created a text box and put some text underneath it. It looks so damn amateur though.

What do you guys suggest I use to create this ad, I really feel like there should be a better/easier way to go about this.

Is there a better way to do it in word, or do i need another program. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Present the newspaper with a rough copy of the add size and content you want. Let their art department worry about the graphics. They will send you a proof before they run it. You can make changes based on the proof they send you. In my experience, newspaper adds do not generate much business. Hopefully you will have better luck.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brad,

This is not a newspaper, it is a newsletter that gets mailed to every home in one of the wealthiest subdivisions in my city. I believe there are about 600 homes there.

The newsletter people can design it for me , but they want to charge for it. I dont want to spend more than I have to and I am a DIY kind of guy. the charges for designing the ad are about 2x the price of the ad itself.

I`d rather design it myself, any help is appreciated.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I see. I misread your post. Well, you want to have an effective add, so I would try to find someone with experience with this type of thing. What does your logo look like?
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    effective is secondary right now, i just need to know how to get started in creating it. What programs, tips, tools, etc....

here is my logo

Post Thanks / Like
    MS publisher?
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    No i dont have publisher, all i have at my disposal are word and photoshop. not sure if those will cut it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have put together decent flyers and ads using MS Word. Just keep it simple and use your logo as the central part of the add.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to put the image in the middle and have text wrap around it? see, i have to insert image to put my logo in there, and to get text I have to use a text box, the 2 cannot overlap and its causing me problems.

Thanks for the help again.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually just put the logo at the top and the text underneath the logo. To be honest I am not sure how you would get the text to wrap around the logo.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    yea thats the problem im having, would you mind if i sent you the ad tomorrow and you could tell me what you think?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    That would not be a problem. Send it as an MS Word attachment. Brad@ReflectionsAutoSalon.com
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    IF you decide to use the art department this may be worth the investment. You could also look for a decent sporting goods place that does screenprinting. They will have people who can do this for you and it may be cheaper than the art department. A small computer or graphics place near you may also be of help.

Pros do this for a living so your ad should end up looking better than what you can do alone.

You could talk to the screenprinting place about ding a run of shirts for you and then at the same time talk about the ad layout. Screenprinted shirts do add a "professional" touch to a business. Either that or embroidered polos but the cost of "doing a tape" for the image gets expensive.

It is up to you but putting an ad in shows you want to be a pro and go "big time" if you really want to do that expect to spend some money on advertising and on imprinted items from a promotional products place.

Are you putting maybe a coupon or discount in the ad, people seem to be suckers for anything when they think they are getting a discount. Just an idea

Post Thanks / Like
    go to customtacos.com and look up a guy named phil, his username is tacoboy99 on there...he does this all day long and its relatively cheap...tell him eric, prerunner guy sent you...

Post Thanks / Like
    you can wrap text around a logo but i wouldn`t recommend it for a logo like yours. unless you just meant you`d like to have bullet points or somesuch around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information