Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA polishers

Post Thanks / Like

DA polishers

Greetings,

I see a lot about the Megs and PC DA polishers, but not so much about the Flex, the Griots, etc. models out there. I am trying to find a machine that is somewhat light and easy on the vibes (I am a chick, and a small one at that). Can anyone recommend such a machine? Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC, Griots, and Meg`s polishers would be best defined as random orbtial polishers. The motor causes the machine to move in a tight orbit and the centripetal force created by this movement causes the pad to rotate. With a Flex dual action polisher the rotation of the pad is driven by the motor making it more powerful in most cases.

I am not familiar with the latest Griots polisher but the older verision had significantly less `power` then its compeitors because it has a smaller stroke. That it is it moves the pad less per orbit. The newest version appears to have a similar stroke and power to the other polishers.

The Meguiar`s G110 and Porter Cable XP have very similar specs with the biggest difference being the ergonomics of each machine. I like the way the G110 feels in my hands personally buy both machines are amazingly capable and have a proven track record.

The Flex da is known as a forced rotation orbtial polisher. It does way more then the other designs but in most cases will act more powerful then the others.

For a tiny girl, as you put it, I would recommend either the Porter Cable XP or the Meg`s G110. Used in conjunction with our Kevin Brown kits which feature Meguiar`s latest polishes you will be able to achieve azing results from a lightweight and user friendly machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, WonderTwin!

Will you be using the polisher for your personal vehicles or more than that?

Probably the lightest polishers are the PC 7424 and the Meg`s G110. For personal use, they are both excellent, light and low on vibes.

I use my PC 7424XP on about 5-8 cars per month and it`s more than adequate. Slightly heavier, but not noticible. (But I`m not a lightweight chick either!!!:biggrin
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderTwin View Post
    Greetings,

I see a lot about the Megs and PC DA polishers, but not so much about the Flex, the Griots, etc. models out there. I am trying to find a machine that is somewhat light and easy on the vibes (I am a chick, and a small one at that). Can anyone recommend such a machine? Thank you in advance!
    What are you plan on doing with it? If its strickly Paint correction I like the Flex because its a TRUE dual action machine. But I think the PC is more versitile. There are lots of different attachment from the smallest pad and up. There are brushes for doing upholestry and carpet. Plus it is almost $200 cheaper than the flex. The PC is well built and has a great reputaion for durability. Its small and light, but not sure how you will like the vibes, but thats kind of a nature of the DA and orbital.
    Good luck on your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustangous View Post
    but not sure how you will like the vibes, but thats kind of a nature of the DA and orbital.
    I`ve seen people use orbital polishers and say, "I don`t know how you can stand the vibration!"

Others, using the same polisher, will say, "Vibration? I don`t feel a thing!"

Some people are sensitive to it and others are not.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I`ve seen people use orbital polishers and say, "I don`t know how you can stand the vibration!"

Others, using the same polisher, will say, "Vibration? I don`t feel a thing!"

Some people are sensitive to it and others are not.
    I agree.. I think i notice a difference because i mainly just use a rotory, so its a different feel altogether..

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I didn`t expect this many answers so soon, y`all rock! Hmmm... It sounds like I could do too much damage with a Flex and I wouldn`t be able to justify the $$ to my better half anyway. This would be a hobby for me and would be for my personal use unless my dear Dad will let me near his dually.
    Ooo! Carpet brushes?? I haven`t seen those. TH0001, can you tell me more about why you prefer the ergonomics of the Meg? I appreciate all of the input and indulgence; you all have helped me narrow it down to two, I just hate making decisions by holding my nose and jumping in if you get my drift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I didn`t expect this many answers so soon,....... I appreciate all of the input and indulgence; .
    It`s what we do!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I didn`t expect this many answers so soon, y`all rock! Hmmm... It sounds like I could do too much damage with a Flex and I wouldn`t be able to justify the $$ to my better half anyway. This would be a hobby for me and would be for my personal use unless my dear Dad will let me near his dually.
    Ooo! Carpet brushes?? I haven`t seen those. TH0001, can you tell me more about why you prefer the ergonomics of the Meg? I appreciate all of the input and indulgence; you all have helped me narrow it down to two, I just hate making decisions by holding my nose and jumping in if you get my drift.
    I perfer the ergos of the Megs G110 because I have used it more the the latest version of the PC. I wish I had a better reason but that is the truth. You are correct in stating that Random Orbital Polishers such as the Meg`s G110 and the PC are indeed safer then a Forced Rotation DA polisher such as the Flex but I personally consider both types of machines safe. The Random Orbtial Polisher, by design, is safer. With all polishers the potential for damage is controlled by the education of the user.

I recieved a PM asking didn`t recommend the Griot`s polisher but I want to respond to that publically. The older Griot`s polisher has a 3/16th stroke, compared to 5/16th for the most common dual action polishers. This reduces the polishing power of the machine to literally 60% (at the same speed) of the others. I have seen stores that sell that machine constantly refer to how it is more powerful which does not agree with physics or mine as well as others experiences.

The latest version has been apparently updated to be competitive with the latest offerings from Meg`s and Porter Cable. Porter Cable has long set the standard for ROB polishers and Meguiar`s used their considerable size and R and D budget to field test thier latest offering; Two very proven machines by two of the top names in thier respective industries.

Proper Auto Care has a time honored tradition of offering the highest quality products which is why most of the products we have brought in have been blantetly copied by others. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery IMO. PAC also has a tradition of NOT bringing products that are not class leading or do represent a tremendous value to our customers. This idea has obviously not been copied by our competition. We have no interest in becomming a super store of detailing and carrying products that may work but will sell based on name recognition.

Many of us remember the debacle from another polisher whose name was a complete rip off of a polishing machine package we sold. As with every product line carried by others we where approached to carry this polisher and turned it down; it was a piece of junk IMO. So we watched as some other stores picked up the line an touted it as the next best thing and put thier marketing to work before the polisher was yanked for being unreliable. PAC very rarely disco`s a line because we don`t bring in junk where as some other places change lines constantly because they are less careful in thier selections.

Which wraps up my long winded point. If it is carried by PAC it is a tested product that represents a great value. And of the avaialbe DA polishers there are none better then the Meg`s G110 and Porter Cable XP!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said TH0001, and I hope this answer`s your question`s WonderTwin on polisher`s and if you want to order one you can call me at ProperAutoCare 800-628-7596 toll free and I`ll be very happy in assist you in getting the right polisher and detailing supplies for your detailing needs.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located. Maybe if someone is in your area they can show you different polishers if they have them.

I like the flex on large flat panels. The PC works great for doing pillars and such with a 4inch pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    can you tell me more about why you prefer the ergonomics of the Meg?
    The Meg`s machine has a "D" ring type handle that may make it easier to control. It allows you to control the head with the handle instead of holding the head. The PC has a handle that attaches to either side of the head. Some say that this may allow you to put more pressure on one side of the pad. Someone with smaller hands/muscles may find the Meg`s machine easier to use. I have a PC and use it without a handle.

vs.

Black Frontier
    Silver Accord

Post Thanks / Like
    Good dialogue and exchange of great pictures and opinions. I have both the PC 7424 and the Flex, and the Flex is longer, heavier and acts a little like a Rotary, so you have to really be aware of its movements. It does have a nice electronic on switch that starts off slowly so there is less chance of splatter, etc., but if you are new and are not going to be doing large, wide, flat, etc., panels alot, then the PC or Meguiars machine will also accept the 5.5" or 4" pads and can almost do the same thing on the aforementioned panels, albeit a little slower if anything..
    The Flex only has one size backing plate - the 5.5" - 6" size, and no smaller ones, so having the option to be able to switch between small pads and larger pads is another consideration.
    These are a bunch of great guys here at TID, been buying their products for years now, and they have never steered me wrong.
    Good luck with your project !!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to each and every one of you who took time to respond!. I especially appreciate all of the minute details, `cause I`m like that. Pretty much all I have are wide panels (I drive a Pacifica and it is a bit of a tank) but I would rather go slow and sure. Sounds like the Meg`s is the one for me. You can bet I will order here as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to each and every one of you who took time to respond!. I especially appreciate all of the minute details, `cause I`m like that. Pretty much all I have are wide panels (I drive a Pacifica and it is a bit of a tank) but I would rather go slow and sure. Sounds like the Meg`s is the one for me. You can bet I will order here as soon as I can.
    Proper Auto Care El Presidente Jack has a Pacifica and it his has to be the shiniest one I have seen. You guys should have a competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information