Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna SIP and stubborn water spots

I have a Black BMW M3. In the past with a lot of research on these forums, I have used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish(P083) and Super Finish (P106FA) to get really really good results with black paint.

I recently got into an accident the hood was repainted. I was told to wait 30 days before I put anything on the paint. In the mean time we had a bit of rain, and I was not timely in washing the car. I figured no problem, in a couple of more weeks, I will just do a complete detail on the hood - SIP P083 with a Lake Country CCS Orange pad followed up P106FA with a Lake Country CCS White pad and then more P106FA with a Lake Country CCS Black pad. In the past, this combo always removed any water spots, spotting from bird droppings and even took out slight scratches. However, this time around it failed. Why?

Here is potential issue…
    The Menzerna P083 and P106FA were both manufactured in 2009. On the bottle it says the shelf life is 24 months at 59-77 degrees F. So I am using product that is 3 years past its recommended shelf life. Get some new product; No brainer right? Well, I also had a pretty nasty semi-deep scratch in the paint on left front panel. So while I was working on the hood I took 2000 grit 3M paper and wet sanded the scratch. It was a decent scratch and took some time to work out. After sanding I used SIP P083 and it easily polished out the sanded area to a nice gloss. Conclusion, the SIP P083 is way past its shelf life, but it still works for 2000 grit sandpaper. Question why won`t it take out water spots?

One other thing…
    I use a Porter Cable 7424XP and a variation of TOGWT`s slow hand method. First pass at speed 4, second pass at 5, re-wet pad with distilled water, third pass at speed 4, fourth pass at 5 apply pressure, fifth pass at 6 almost no pressure.

So what do you guys think I should do. I don`t need to buy more polish (though I probably will) since it still works. Should I go to a more aggressive pad - Lake Country CCS Yellow or Cyan?

Thanks for any advice

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna SIP and stubborn water spots

tried twice to reply and something is not allowing my reply to post up
    Dan F

Ok for the 3rd time ---

What color is the Black M3 ?? What year ?

The hood was painted with a harder version of the original paint and that is why it is not responding to your tried and true correction process..

The scratch you sanded out and polished was on the original paint which is softer than the new paint on the hood, and that is why it came out with your process..

You will need to go with something more aggressive - pad and/or compound -

Having used Menzerna compounds for over 10 years, I can say that until the bottle dries completely up hard, and there is no more liquid in it that mixes it all up and helps extend the compounding cycle, it is going to be ok to use..

I have lots of old bottles of it too and they do not slow me down one bit..

Menzerna went to newer formulas sometime back a few years ago and thats fine because I have plenty of the old batch and new to use..

If I ever had to use a Porter Cable to correct anything, I would run it full speed, with pressure as needed but try to not slow down the rotation too much because that is what works and breaks down the compound...

Have used the Lake Country Hydro-Shreds pads since they first came out - what - 8 years ago?, and the Cyan is especially great at correction and finishes down incredibly clear and glossy..

I would try that pad first and see if your compound will work on not.. If not, do you have another compound that is more aggressive?

The L/C yellow pads I have used years past but decided I didnt want to have to make another step if needed and the Cyan has been so versatile for me even on really hard paint..

Good luck - let us know how you do !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna SIP and stubborn water spots

That 30 day wait to apply anything is because the paint isn`t done curing. It may be a result of the paint not being completely hardened yet and is more susceptible to damage from water spots/bird bombs etc. So maybe the water spot damage is deeper into the paint than you are used to.

It may also be that they repainted your hood with a harder than factory clear coat and you need something more aggressive to get correction.

Either way. If what you are doing isn`t enough, go more aggressive until you find what works.

Thread Information