Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Soft black paint!

Ok guys here`s the problem. I have a hey black car that has to be polished up. Process was yellow/orange cutting pad and fg400, and black/blue pad and sf4000/4500 to finish. I am by no means new to detailing or paint correction but man...I`m running out of ideas here. This paint WILL NOT finish down. Microfibers are cobra 530`s so i don`t think it`s that. The funny thing is, the paint seems to look a little worst after the finishing polishes than what fg left behind. Any ideas or anyone experience something similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soft black paint!

Try searching here (and maybe autogeek too) for "nissan self-healing clear". I read some posts a while back on how to deal with this super soft clear. Might give you some ideas. Sorry, my memory sucks, or I`d try to share it here and save you the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Try searching here (and maybe autogeek too) for "nissan self-healing clear". I read some posts a while back on how to deal with this super soft clear. Might give you some ideas. Sorry, my memory sucks, or I`d try to share it here and save you the trouble.
    Thanks man, I`ll look it up. Another thing is that i know this car was painted 2 years ago using ppg paint. From what I know ppg is usually on the harder side

Post Thanks / Like

make model tear
    pics?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    make model tear
    pics?
    1968 Plymouth roadrunner. Restored 2 years ago

Post Thanks / Like

do you know how thick the paint/clear is? any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Just read it was repainted

hhmmmmm

Pics of the paint might get more informed help

pics of the car would be appreciated
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Just read it was repainted

hhmmmmm

Pics of the paint might get more informed help

pics of the car would be appreciated
    I left the the job site for the day but I will get some pics tomorrow. Something doesn`t add up though. Even on Porsche paint ff4500 and an lc blue pad will finish down nice. One thing I`m thinking is maybe the environment I`m in? It`s at a customers house in his garage so maybe dust is settling on the microfibers? Even though they are kept in a storage bin so maybe not....ugh, frustrating!

Post Thanks / Like

Need pix, then I can tell you exactly what you need.

Idea #1 - It sounds like the FG is leaving stuff behind an the SF isn`t strong enough to cut it out. In other words you need more cut on the finisher but I`m just guessing.

Idea #2 - Are you wiping down with ISO? If so you could be softening the paint even more an thats what could be causing the lines.

How fine are the marks? Spider webbing or swirls and are they linear with the wipe down.

I`d recommend wiping down in an odd shape, then you`ll get a good feel if it`s the MF. 530 is rough for soft paint though, especially with a fresh spray too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

It sounds like the FG is leaving stuff behind an the SF isn`t strong enough to cut it out. In other words you need more cut on the finisher but I`m just guessing.
    That was my other thought. I`ll try to get some pics tomorrow. But what explains the finish looking worst after sf4500? I guess it would have to be the microfibers? The only thing left after fg is some light holograms, No major defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AtoZDetailing View Post
    That was my other thought. I`ll try to get some pics tomorrow. But what explains the finish looking worst after sf4500? I guess it would have to be the microfibers? The only thing left after fg is some light holograms, No major defects.
    Try leveling out as I call it, basically pick a middle of the road polish and a middle of the road pad. That will give you the clearest choice of weather you need to cut or finish. I do it alot, especially FG.

SF4500 is different from 4000, I made this mistake once too. 4500 has almost NO cut at all. I use it only for jeweling. 4000 is my final finisher for holograms or micro marring from extreme compounding. Do you have rupes pads?

Note: FG is VERY picky with temps, what are your working temps, do you have an idea of how the paint temps are?

Post Thanks / Like

Well first things are, are the lines left behind circular or linear? Sorry, I`m all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Try leveling out as I call it, basically pick a middle of the road polish and a middle of the road pad. That will give you the clearest choice of weather you need to cut or finish. I do it alot, especially FG.

SF4500 is different from 4000, I made this mistake once too. 4500 has almost NO cut at all. I use it only for jeweling. 4000 is my final finisher for holograms or micro marring from extreme compounding. Do you have rupes pads?

Note: FG is VERY picky with temps, what are your working temps, do you have an idea of how the paint temps are?
    No rupes pads. I have LC pfw all the way down to blue finishing. In terms of temps, The paint defiantly get`s warm. I`m using a rotary, steady arm speed and about 1200rpms.

Well first things are, are the lines left behind circular or linear? Sorry, I`m all over the place.
    They are circular. But I wipe down in a small circular motion

Idea #1 - It sounds like the FG is leaving stuff behind an the SF isn`t strong enough to cut it out. In other words you need more cut on the finisher but I`m just guessing.

Idea #2 - Are you wiping down with ISO? If so you could be softening the paint even more an thats what could be causing the lines.

How fine are the marks? Spider webbing or swirls and are they linear with the wipe down.

I`d recommend wiping down in an odd shape, then you`ll get a good feel if it`s the MF. 530 is rough for soft paint though, especially with a fresh spray too.
    I am wiping down with eraser....that makes it MUCH worst. Again, small circular "bites" to wipe off. So the 530s are rough for soft paint? Any recommendation? I was thinking sonus polishing towels. The yellow ones

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll PM you my number.

Post Thanks / Like

What machine are you using if the the Rupes then it`s the throw of the machine. I have been dealing with soft paints left and right.

I just did a black viper GTS and I had to use the flex with a finish pad with Sonax ex 04-06 on speed 3 to cut and finish down close to perfect.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information