Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Polishers: Selecting The Best BigFoot For You

Rupes SpA offers a huge selection of BigFoot polishers. One of the most common questions we get is which BigFoot should you (the purchaser) get? The good news is that all BigFoot series polishers are a high-powered, high-quality paint correction tools that offer the very best in random orbital, dual-action polishing. There is no wrong answer, but there might be a better answer for you.

Rupes BigFoot Polishers are available in a variety of chassis and stroke-lengths. As you increase the stroke length, you increase the potential power although this comes at the loss of versatility. Remember, you can only polish what the pad touches, so as stroke length exceeds 10-15 mm, it reduces the polisher`s ability to effectively keep the pad against areas like door handles, emblems, pieces and body moldings.

As stroke further increase, it can create areas of high-pressure spots on the pad as it sweeps across concave surfaces (think the hips on a Porsche 911 Turbo). Using too large of a stroke can actually reduce the pad`s rotation and force some of the orbital movement to be absorbed into the pad as the foam stalls against the paint.

Rupes BigFoot Polisher Range

Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher
    The “21” is the bad boy of the Rupes lineup. Featuring a massive 21 mm stroke, the 21 offers the most potential paint correction with it`s ability to quickly move the pad across the paint. This machine is balanced for Rupes 7-inch (180 mm) foam pads. The combination of a large(r) pad and huge stroke give the “21” the ability to quickly correct paint on large and flat panels, as well as gentle convex (curved) surfaces.

Rupes LHR 15ES BigFoot Random Orbital Polisher
    The “15” uses the same BigFoot-chassis and motor from the “21” but it has been tuned to work with a 15 mm stroke and a 6-inch (150 mm) pads. Rupes increased the maximum speed to 5000RPM/OPM (vs. 4200 on the “21”) to limit the correction-speed difference between the polishes. The smaller pad and orbit increases the “15`s” versatility, making it an ideal polishing tool on today`s modern, curved body panels while making the tool more effective against trim pieces.

Rupes LHR 12E Duetto Random Orbital Polisher
    The Duetto combines a traditional DA chassis (thumb switch, tail-mounted speed control) with a large 12 mm stroke to create a smooth-running, easy-to-use tool. If you have used a Porter Cable, Griot`s or Meguiars G100v2, you will immediately fall in love the Duetto. When outfitted with the correctly sized 6-inch (150 mm) pads, the Duetto allows you to work around nearly any trim piece with laser-like precision.

Rupes LHR 75E Mini Random Orbital Polisher
    Don`t let the Mini`s name fool you. This is a serious paint correction tool that nearly rivals the larger “15 & 21`s” ability to correct paint, yet focuses that power into a 4-inch (100 mm) pad. This BigFoot features the same motor and chassis as the Duetto, but designed and balanced for a smaller pad. Not only is spot repair a breeze, but the Mini will actually correct paint faster than the Duetto. (However the Duetto`s 50% larger pad allows for a bigger working area, negating any time savings).

Selecting The Correct BigFoot Polisher

The first question you need to ask when selecting the perfect BigFoot for your needs: Is this going to your only polisher?

Because BigFoot polishers have a large stroke, you cannot swap backing plates out for smaller units, like you can on traditional random orbital polishers. If you are limiting your purchase to one polisher, then both the Rupes LHR 15ES BigFoot or Rupes LHR 12ES Duetto make excellent choices.

Between the two, the 15 does offer more correction power, but the Duetto is set up to be used as a sander as well. The ability to go to a high-grit sandpaper (3000 grit) then effortless remove the sanding marks with a Rupes Microfiber Pad, then complete the polishing with either of the finishing pads and polishes give the Duetto unmatched versatility. The 15 may be the better choice if you are just focusing on general paint polishing.

If you are purchasing your BigFoot as an addition to an existing polisher, you have the freedom to be a little more creative.

If you have a rotary polisher that you use for correction, and are looking for a polisher just to remove the holograms/buffer swirl, either the 15 or the Duetto work on most paint surfaces for the above reasons.

If you own a more powerful polisher and are looking for something to help you correct the tightest spots and intricate details, the Rupes LHR 75E Mini is the ideal choice.

If you own another brand of DA polisher and are looking for something to use for faster corrections (and willing to use your existing DA polisher for spot correction) it is very hard to beat the potential of the Rupes LHR 21ES BigFoot.

Ultimately the flow chart above is a guideline to help you select the correct BigFoot for your needs. If you have any questions or we can help in anyway, feel free to call Autopia-CarCare.com at 877.855.3125 and ask for Todd (ext. 3202), post to AutopiaForums.com or send me an email at Todd.Helme@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Polishers: Selecting The Best BigFoot For You

Any chance you will be carrying the LD30

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome charts Todd! Thanks for the info. I hope to have the mini soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Great charts and fantastic info Todd. Thanks for putting it together.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Also for anyone who does bikes the mini 75E is a must! Absolutely awesome machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Any chance you will be carrying the LD30
    I`ve heard rumors... stay tuned

Post Thanks / Like

Nice chart !

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome Todd! I`m an ol Rotary guy. And getting used to the Rupes has been fun and a little confusing at times. This chart helps. Thanks again man!

Ps. saved me a phone call

Post Thanks / Like

This is fantastic, Todd! Thanks so much for putting it together. There have to be a dozen questions posted (not to mention the phone calls you all must get) asking which Rupes machine is best for their needs. This has gotta cut down on some of those - at least, you hope!

Thanks Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd. I was just looking for more info on the various Rupes machines.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent article Todd!
    After attending DF I thought I wanted a Duetto, but now am leaning towards the 15 or 21. I already have the hat, so I am 1/2 way there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    Excellent article Todd!
    After attending DF I thought I wanted a Duetto, but now am leaning towards the 15 or 21. I already have the hat, so I am 1/2 way there!
    You cannot go wrong with the hat! If you are going to be polishing large, flat panels, go with a 21, if you are polishing regular, modern cars, go with the 15

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 15 and chose it for all around use. I still use the Flex for polishing since I get more time on it and get consistent results.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 75E & 21, great duo and compliment each other very well.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 21, 15, Duetto and 75E. My overall favorite is the 15.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information