Thread: Solvent Pops

Post Thanks / Like

Solvent Pops

I`ve been researching information on solvent pops as it appears I may have them on my 2013 Chevy Avalanche purchased this past August. I first noticed a paint issue on the front bumper cover where it appeared the White Diamond paint had "stretched" and the black plastic was showing through. I stopped by the dealer and they stated they would take care of that issue. I then arrived home and I waxed the truck with OCW and noticed what appeared to be about 20 solvent pops on the hood. That got me to thinking that the hood and bumper cover may have suffered damage and were repainted by the dealership. I understand the dealership does not have to disclose this information to a prospective buyer unless the damage exceeds a certain percentage or dollar amount. I don`t have photos and won`t have them as I`ve misplaced my digital camera and frankly it was so cheap it probably wouldn`t have shown them anyway. My questions are as follows:

1. After three months will any more solvent pops show up?

2. Since it`s a daily driver is it worth the time and trouble to pursue a repaint of the hood? When I say "daily" I really mean "bad weather" since when the sun shines in the Pacific Northwest I drive my Mustang.
    Unfortunately I spend more time in my truck!

3. If I do nothing will I have more problems in the future if I polish the truck? Will that expose more of the pop? You really have to look closely to see the pops and if there won`t be any problems in the future I`d probably leave it like it is.

Looking forward to your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solvent Pops

I would say since you just bought it only 4 months ago, take it back and explain to the dealership hoping they`ll be understanding, try and have them disclose any information on WTF happened if anything, and fix it

1) Its a possibility
    2) Its pretty much brand new, why would you want a brand new truck showing that many paint sign problems this early?
    3) Most likely, but not 100% sure.

For though scratching there head on solvent pops..
    Solvent pop is caused when too much paint is applied or coats are applied on top of each other too quickly. When this is done, gases from the reducer from the lower portion of the clear, are trying to escape, but they are trapped because of the paint thickness or the coat that was applied on top of it, thus creating the bubbles known as solvent pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colinpd137 View Post
    I would say since you just bought it only 4 months ago, take it back and explain to the dealership hoping they`ll be understanding, try and have them disclose any information on WTF happened if anything, and fix it

1) Its a possibility
    2) Its pretty much brand new, why would you want a brand new truck showing that many paint sign problems this early?
    3) Most likely, but not 100% sure.

For though scratching there head on solvent pops..
    Solvent pop is caused when too much paint is applied or coats are applied on top of each other too quickly. When this is done, gases from the reducer from the lower portion of the clear, are trying to escape, but they are trapped because of the paint thickness or the coat that was applied on top of it, thus creating the bubbles known as solvent pop
    Agreed 100%

There is a chance that some more solvent pop could show up as the vehicle ages, although, it usually (IME) occurs in the first several days after painting as the paint cures.

Likely it was repainted although it could be an OEM problem.

I would get it repainted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Agreed 100%

There is a chance that some more solvent pop could show up as the vehicle ages, although, it usually (IME) occurs in the first several days after painting as the paint cures.

Likely it was repainted although it could be an OEM problem.

I would get it repainted.
    Thanks for your input, Colin and Todd. I`ll have the hood repainted when they do the bumper cover. It`s odd because I can only see them in my shop under fluorescent lights that really aren`t that bright. I can`t see them in bright sunlight or under my Brinkman light. Once again, thanks very much for your prompt replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got solvent popping on my hood that was new but highly suspect its a repaint,even though they swore up and down it hadnt been repainted.

They offered to repiant for me but I turned it down.

You must consider if the place your having it done has the ability to do a good/great job. Also repaints usually dont have the durability factory paint has .

If it doesnt bother you I would consider leaving it alone.

Polishing or using solvents brought about more solvent popping IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Ive got solvent popping on my hood that was new but highly suspect its a repaint,even though they swore up and down it hadnt been repainted.

They offered to repiant for me but I turned it down.

You must consider if the place your having it done has the ability to do a good/great job. Also repaints usually dont have the durability factory paint has .

If it doesnt bother you I would consider leaving it alone.

Polishing or using solvents brought about more solvent popping IME.
    Thanks for your response DC. I`m going to find out if the hood has been repainted due to some minor problem. I believe the dealer is supposed to keep a record of what they do to the vehicle prior to sale but they don`t have to disclose what was done to the buyer unless the damage reaches a certain percentage of value. It`s possible the solvent pops are from the paint applied by Chevrolet but I`m thinking it was repainted before it was sold. The Chevy dealer doesn`t have a body shop but they`re affiliated with other dealerships that do so I`ll have to find out who they use.

How many pops do you have on your hood and have you seen any more "pop" since you initially saw them? I think I`ve got about 20 pops in various places on the hood but haven`t seen any pops on the rest of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for your response DC. I`m going to find out if the hood has been repainted due to some minor problem. I believe the dealer is supposed to keep a record of what they do to the vehicle prior to sale but they don`t have to disclose what was done to the buyer unless the damage reaches a certain percentage of value. It`s possible the solvent pops are from the paint applied by Chevrolet but I`m thinking it was repainted before it was sold. The Chevy dealer doesn`t have a body shop but they`re affiliated with other dealerships that do so I`ll have to find out who they use.

How many pops do you have on your hood and have you seen any more "pop" since you initially saw them? I think I`ve got about 20 pops in various places on the hood but haven`t seen any pops on the rest of the vehicle.
    I didnt really notice them until I started looking at my hood with a magnifying glass because of other defects on the hood.Who knows how many I dont remember((they were all over as I recall )but once after I polished it there must have been hundreds!

Ive trained myself not to look at it that closely anymore!!Plus its white so it doesnt jump out at me.

They gave me a 3 year window to have it repainted and over time I learned that I could live with it .

Post Thanks / Like

this is strange this is what i just found out about the last couple of days on a 2004 viper i have been working on what i thought were rock chips in the paint and in the course of trying to buff and level the chips off came a large amount of the clear i was sick thinking i had messed up a very expensive paint job knowing how careful i am with any car no matter the cost of the car i had a painter check out this so i could pay to have it fixed he told me that that would have happened to anyone that had tried to buff that part of the car then after i learned this i talked to customer he forgot about the repaint but in remembering the work that was done released me for having to pay for the damage and he hired my painter to correct the problem my point being if you don`t get them to fix your truck correctly it could cause you more problem down the road and maybe an unknowing detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golden1 View Post
    this is strange this is what i just found out about the last couple of days on a 2004 viper i have been working on what i thought were rock chips in the paint and in the course of trying to buff and level the chips off came a large amount of the clear i was sick thinking i had messed up a very expensive paint job knowing how careful i am with any car no matter the cost of the car i had a painter check out this so i could pay to have it fixed he told me that that would have happened to anyone that had tried to buff that part of the car then after i learned this i talked to customer he forgot about the repaint but in remembering the work that was done released me for having to pay for the damage and he hired my painter to correct the problem my point being if you don`t get them to fix your truck correctly it could cause you more problem down the road and maybe an unknowing detailer
    I believe you`re right that if you have the hood polished it may look worse after than before so I`m leaning on having it repainted. It seems the polishing may bring up more pops or make the existing pops more visible.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you`re right that if you have the hood polished it may look worse after than before so I`m leaning on having it repainted. It seems the polishing may bring up more pops or make the existing pops more visible.
    This was true in my case. what color is your vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

This was true in my case. what color is your vehicle?
    It`s called White Diamond which is a metallic creamy white color. I believe it`s a tri-coat color.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s called White Diamond which is a metallic creamy white color. I believe it`s a tri-coat color.
    That is going to be harder to match so find someone good at color matching.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do!

Post Thanks / Like

Pearl/Flake whites are a pain and very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

well the pain begins to fix the Solvent Pops

Thread Information