Post Thanks / Like

Need help with random orbiter polishers

So I`ve read some of the threads about random orbit polishers and had a few more questions.

Do I want the Porter Cable 7424XP 6" random orbit polisher? What type of pads do I want to buy? Do I need a backing plate? Or what other machine is recommended for flawless protection/polishing?

How do I use the polisher? I usually wash my car then start with applying a compound such as Klasse or Zaino All in One. Do I just squirt some on the polishing pad and use the orbiter around the car with the compound? Do I then switch to a dry pad, or do I use a microfiber towel to remove the compound?

or - do I apply the compound using an applicator, then use the orbiter to remove the compound?

Will this work well with any compound, or just the polishes like All in One? If I use Zaino Z2 or Klasse Protectant, or perhaps Meguiar`s NXT 2.0, do I change the procedure?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with random orbiter polishers

A polisher would be way better to put it on with, use a microfiber towel to remove. Now as far as us telling you what to buy and how to use, you need to do more research because different pads are made for different things, I would dig my head into some autogeek videos and find out what would work best for you. There are plenty of them on youtube
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

A little effort on google will help you a great deal. Here`s one example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s]YouTube - Mike Phillips demonstrates the proper techniques on using the Porter Cable 7424XP[/ame]

Klasse and Zaino all in one are not compounds. A compound is generally used for severe paint correction and must be followed by one or two additional polishing steps to remove the marring/marks from the compound. As Bling said please do some research. It would be easier to try to explain how to ride a bicycle over the phone. You need to at least understand the basics before you can proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I called them compounds arbitrarily, I could have said "product". I`m familiar with rubbing compounds and use them for deep scratches.

I was curious about the backing plates because reviews for the Porter 7424 said it didn`t come with one and that I had to buy special pads. I will look at the videos when I get home, but I thought I`d get a head start with some basic info from one source rather than going all over the place. I just need a simple way of making my cars look good, not turn it into a 12 hour project with 30 different products. I usually use KAIO or Zaino AIO followed by Z2 by hand, and it looks/feels great. But I keep hearing good things about the random orbiters like the PC 7424 so it naturally piqued my interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I was curious about the backing plates because reviews for the Porter 7424 said it didn`t come with one and that I had to buy special pads.
    If you purchase the PC XP, you should take off the white pad that comes with it and put it back in the box. It is not suitable for polishing your car.

You will need to determine which size pads you want start with - 5.5" or 6.5". That will help determine the backing plate size. Autogeek and others offer lots of kits with and without the polisher.

For someone new to polishing I would recommend Adam`s as they make it simple - For correction use the orange stuff (Swirl and Haze Remover) on the orange pad, and use the white stuff (Fine Machine Polish) on the white pad. If you are using the sealant (Machine Super Wax) use the black pad. After you have become more familiar with the process, you can mix and match the products and pads. If you decide to try other pads you already have a 6" backing plate or try other polishes you already have the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a new Megs system out just for DA`s like the PC and it`s clones. If I was new, just starting out and looking to buy - I`d look for the deal on the new microfiber system, get the 5 inch pads. I`m sure AG, PAC, DI, DD, ADS and others will all have a handy dandy package with everything you need. Don`t get caught up with the ones that add cheap crap like microfiber towels and pad conditioner/cleaner. Look for a factory type bundle and as far as I know, the Megs PC is pretty good.

You`ll have all you really need to correct, polish and make paint look good. You can always add to that later on. I would not go bigger than 5.5" pads on a PC, and I hope Megs will offer the new system in 4 inch - they have 3" - why? beats me, only strange thing in an otherwise brillant product.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3" and 4" are advertised for motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure - bikes would benefit from smaller pads, but, it you have paint correction, the bigger the pad, the slower the correction (PC) since you`re spreading the correction over a larger area.

Thread Information