Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex review & Video comparing the Flex XC 3401/Porter Cable 7424

Below is my review of the Flex XC 3401...It also includes a video comparing the cutting ability of the Flex to the PC.

Here is the link to the review (the video link is at the bottom of the page)

Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

This is a great machine to step up from the PC & IMO narrows the gap between the PC and a rotary. It has great cutting abilities and will cut polishing time down substantially if moving up from a PC.

Enjoy

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex review & Video comparing the Flex XC 3401/Porter Cable 7424

Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon View Post
    Below is my review of the Flex XC 3401...It also includes a video comparing the cutting ability of the Flex to the PC.

Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

This is a great machine to step up from the PC & IMO narrows the gap between the PC and a rotary. It has great cutting abilities and will cut polishing time down substantially if moving up from a PC.

Enjoy

Great review, great video!
    When you showed the before picture, my first thought was, man that`s going to be a challenge for a PC.
    It was.
    The Flex seemed to handle it rather easily.
    Thanks for putting it together.
    Even though it may end up costing me $300, I did enjoy it.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

Enjoy
    very nice review

have you tried it with the SSR`s like 2.5 yet?
    If so how did it compare?

thanks
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and another excellent video

Thank you
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Great review...I bought one and get it today, I am looking forward to trying it out.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!!

Charles, I was thinking the same thing, I would have used a more aggressive method or gone over the area again with the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    very nice review

have you tried it with the SSR`s like 2.5 yet?
    If so how did it compare?

thanks
    Steve, I have used SSR 2.5 and it works great with the Flex....I plan on doing more videos and I`ll be using different polishes including the SSR line.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I have used SSR 2.5 and it works great with the Flex....I plan on doing more videos and I`ll be using different polishes including the SSR line.
    thanks for the reply ... many of my customers are always asking for recommendations on a machine to buy and the Flex is one i haven`t tried yet, but with your glowing review I can now give them another option

Post Thanks / Like

Super review!!!!!!!! Got my Flex a week ago and love it. Thursday I`ll be getting the Flex bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424 and the Ultimate Detailing Machine

This is my first day on the forum and I`m not sure if this comment is relevant or not. I think it depends on whether those who have posted on this thread are pros detailing for a living or an enthusiast like myself.

If one is a professional, then rotaries are OK because speed is essential. For others IMO, an orbital is better because the potential for paint damage with a rotary is greater if one doesn`t have the touch. Though I have a PC, I recently bought an Ultimate Detailing Machine because the PC vibrates so badly that it hurts after a while. Consequently, I didn`t use the PC all that often. The UDM is a much better machine. I just finished another session on my Ranger and it looks almost as good as when I drove it home new. That`s saying something because when I got the Ranger, I knew next to nothing about protecting the paint and I did a lot of damage to it during waxing.

Using a combination of Cyclo and Lake pads in conjunction with Optimum polish, I was able to either get rid of or minimize some bad swirls/scratches. The paint looks great. I really have to make an effort to see what scratches are left. I never got these results with the PC.

The Optimum polish is really nice. The paint is almost ready for wax and there is a very nice shine whereas other polishes leave the finish dull. I used some Hi-Temp HT-61 light cut to add a little additional shine and smoothness to the paint.

I used Hi-Temp`s HT-62 sealant. Apply it with the UDM and in seconds you can hardly see it. It wipes off easily, much more so than when it has been applied by hand.

ultimatedetailingmachine.com

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, that is a great review and video. That is professional top rate production material there. I am soooooo jealous of your abilities in that particular area!

Secondly I have to disagree with the above comment. The UDM isn`t a better machine than the PC just because it has lower vibrations. Functionaly it is the exact same machine. Other than the slightly larger motor, David himself will even admit that the internals of the UDM and PC are nearly identical. That slightly larger motor isn`t powerful enough to produce significant results over a PC. I still believe that when it comes to those two machines, much of the result comes from the skill of the operator. Sort of like a fast car. A Civic can beat a Ferrari if the Ferrari is being driven by a moron. lol

Compare the UDM to the PC side by side after ten years of use and we`ll see which is the better machine. I`ve got a PC, UDM, and a FLEX and look forward to comparing them side by side on a job similar to what was done on this review, but for now all I have to go by is my side by side comparison with the PC and the UDM. My UDM lies pretty much dormant on my shelf due to the little quirks that it has and due to the fact that my PC has proven to be more effective of a machine. Sure the UDM vibrates less, but the FLEX vibrates hardly at all. Other than for the little value I have in saying I own all three machines and being able to let people compare them side by side at my annual workshops, I strongly feel that the FLEX is going to eclipse both machines and be my absolute #1 go to machine for detailing this year. My PC belongs displayed in a place of honor in my garage while the UDM is one shelf away from the disgraced products shelf.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have a flex yet, but I recently read about two different instances of backing plate failure on them (heat related I think). Has anyone here had that problem, or any problem with their flex?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that people were getting replacement backing plates, but I was unsure of what the problem was. what ever it was I think that the fix is already in place for anyone ordering them now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    First of all, that is a great review and video. That is professional top rate production material there. I am soooooo jealous of your abilities in that particular area!

Secondly I have to disagree with the above comment. The UDM isn`t a better machine than the PC just because it has lower vibrations. Functionaly it is the exact same machine. Other than the slightly larger motor, David himself will even admit that the internals of the UDM and PC are nearly identical. That slightly larger motor isn`t powerful enough to produce significant results over a PC. I still believe that when it comes to those two machines, much of the result comes from the skill of the operator. Sort of like a fast car. A Civic can beat a Ferrari if the Ferrari is being driven by a moron. lol

Compare the UDM to the PC side by side after ten years of use and we`ll see which is the better machine. I`ve got a PC, UDM, and a FLEX and look forward to comparing them side by side on a job similar to what was done on this review, but for now all I have to go by is my side by side comparison with the PC and the UDM. My UDM lies pretty much dormant on my shelf due to the little quirks that it has and due to the fact that my PC has proven to be more effective of a machine. Sure the UDM vibrates less, but the FLEX vibrates hardly at all. Other than for the little value I have in saying I own all three machines and being able to let people compare them side by side at my annual workshops, I strongly feel that the FLEX is going to eclipse both machines and be my absolute #1 go to machine for detailing this year. My PC belongs displayed in a place of honor in my garage while the UDM is one shelf away from the disgraced products shelf.
    I agree with you..the UDM was a disappointment from the expectations I had as the next best machine. Mine also sits while the PC has taken its place. I haven`t ordered a Flex yet as I don`t want to just add another machine to my arsenal .. rotarys still do the best work in the right hands, but I`m hoping to try out a Flex at Detailfest at the end of the month

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation This is a tool and needs to be treated with some respect!

One thing I didn`t see mentioned was the fact that this is a lot more machine than the PC.
    It will do a lot more work, but........
    It also has the potential to do more damage if not used properly.

It has already been posted elsewhere that it is possible to polish off enough paint to cause a real problem.

People tend to forget that you don`t truly remove the marring, you level the paint around the flaw.
    While the PC takes a long time to do that, the Flex evidently does not.

I`m not bad mouthing the machine at all. In fact, I would love to have one, but the beginner that didn`t get into trouble with a PC, might not be that lucky with the Flex.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information