Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Seeking advice for correcting/polishing Estoril Blue BMW

Hello all,

I purchased a 2014 335i in Estoril Blue last week. The interior is 10/10, literally like new. The exterior is quite obvious that it spent it`s nights outdoors and was taken through the auto wash monsters. Tons of swirls and 2 or 3 decent scratches.

How does this sound (using a porter cable):

1) Menzerna MCP2500 Medium Cut Polish 2500 (orange pad)
    2) Menzerna SF3500 Super Finish 3500 (white pad)
    3) Menzerna Professional Micro Polish 3800 (black pad)
    4) Collinite Marque D`Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915 (red pad)

Is the 3500 and 3800 redundant? Would the 2500+3500 be sufficient to tackle the majority of my issues?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeking advice for correcting/polishing Estoril Blue BMW

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket View Post
    Hello all,

I purchased a 2014 335i in Estoril Blue last week. The interior is 10/10, literally like new. The exterior is quite obvious that it spent it`s nights outdoors and was taken through the auto wash monsters. Tons of swirls and 2 or 3 decent scratches.

Is the 3500 and 3800 redundant? Would the 2500+3500 be sufficient to tackle the majority of my issues?

Thanks in advance!
    Too many steps for me, I`m thinking a 1 step Sonax Cut and Finish or EX 04-06 topped with your LSP of choice. The real answer, if this is the route you want to go would be to perform a "Test Spot".
    Likes dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Griots fast cut cream and perfecting cream. Micro pad and polishing pad. And again you need to do a test spot

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the guys above about the 2 step polish max. Lastly since it`s a pre owned. See if you can get meter before you go to town. I am not 200 percent sure I know the blue you reference but the interlagos blue on many M cars shows swirls if you look at it. Get some good wipe off towels.

And since you are going through all the perfecting steps I would add a chemical Decon like iron x and a physical Decon step clay bar step after the wash and you will mostly likely have to wash again before the correction. Now if that sounds good, I would coat the car and lock in all that hard work. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`ve already got Menznera products on hand, MC2500 may be the only thing you need.

Estoril Blue is relatively hard, which makes it easy to finish down without marring. MC2500 + Orange Light Cutting pad can do some pretty excellent swirl removal.

Here is MC2500 + Orange Light Cutting pad on an Alpine White 335i for reference... old video, but it gives you a good idea of what you can do with the combo.

As others have mentioned, you will ultimately determine the best process with a series of test spots. You shouldn`t need more than 2 steps to achieve the results you are looking for.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

What size pads are you using? You mentioned "tons of swirls" and the fact that it`s been sitting outside day/night, I`d go with something more than a medium cut. Usually you`d want to start with the least aggressive process first but by your description of the car it sounds like it needs more than medium cut.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a 2010 Montego Blue 335i. Like someone mentioned, hard paint. Assuming you washing and claying first. Using Meg`s 105 and Griot`s microfiber cut pads gives a nice finish with my Boss G15. Polished with M205 with B&S blue polishing pads (I think) really make it pop. Finish it all off with Collinite 845 using a Red Griots wax pad and the Porter Cable. After winter I`ll correct needed spots with M101 (new to the arsenal), polish the whole car with 205 and more Collinite on top.
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket View Post
    Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
    Good taste in products! Starting with 2500 + orange is a good start to "see if it works". If it solves your swirls, use that. It`s a great polish.
    I`d go to 3500 or 3800 with the white pad, or even green. I have found that black (or red) pads with super-fine polish on hard paint is a waste of time.
    Collinite 915 is a GREAT choice for blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    I`ve got a 2010 Montego Blue 335i. Like someone mentioned, hard paint. Assuming you washing and claying first. Using Meg`s 105 and Griot`s microfiber cut pads gives a nice finish with my Boss G15. Polished with M205 with B&S blue polishing pads (I think) really make it pop. Finish it all off with Collinite 845 using a Red Griots wax pad and the Porter Cable. After winter I`ll correct needed spots with M101 (new to the arsenal), polish the whole car with 205 and more Collinite on top.
    M205 on blue b&s pads is excellent!

Post Thanks / Like

The PC is my weapon of choice.

I prefer more lucid, smat abrasive polishes, and more open cell pads.

I try and start with Ultimate Compound, or M100 on a green Hex Logic / Buff and Shine "polishing" pads. If that isn`t removing the damage, I switch to a Buff and Shine microfiber. After that, I`ll short cycle Ultimate Polish, or M205 on a blue Hex Logic / Buff and Shine polishing/finishing pad. Sealant goes on with a red B&S pad.

When I use Menzerna, I prefer Lake Country Hydrotech pads. 2500 on the Tangerine Hydrotech was a very impressive combination, and might not require an extra polishing step. I never used the 3800, but the 3500 (sf4000) always left an incredible gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the test spot you may want to go the Menz 400/Menz 3500 route for a two step. BMW paint is hard. I had to go this way on my 2011 335d. I had some scratches that the previous owner left me that required the 400. Menz 3800 is a third step for me to try to get the last bit of shine out of a paint. Most people can`t discern 3500 from 3800.

Post Thanks / Like

On my 09 Audi I did a correction and coating this spring. With my color the defects were hard to find but a a couple LED lights I had I could find them. Under most lighting you would say the paint was almost perfect but it wasn`t I ended up using Menz 400 and micro cut pad and finished with 4000 (3500) on a white pad except on the right front fender which I tried 3800 but could see no difference. Here is a crop of that area to show that there was no visible difference between the two. I will also show a before and after of part of my hood also.

One reason for pictures is that the camera sees defects much better than my eyes.

All the pictures were taken just after polishing with no LSP.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all of the feedback. Consensus is that I am over-complicating this as I tend to do (I go all-in whatever I do, miss the forest for the trees at times).
    Taking the feedback from here and doing more research, for a beginner like myself who is frankly doing this because I think it will be fun and rewarding, and in the long run will save me money, how does this approach sound:

1- Meg`s Ultimate Compound (G17216)
    2- Meg`s M205
    3- Wolfgang Sealant (WG-5500)

OR is there truly a noticeable benefit in the Menzerna products on the BMW paint?

Using 5.5" Lake Country foam pads
    (I am going to skip the wax for now as I can`t understand how a layer of wax on top of the Sealant provides much more but I will play with that over time)

Post Thanks / Like

The wax over the sealant is not necessary, just a personal preference as the sealant leaves plenty of protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the WG sealant as durable as Collinite or is it one of the many sealants that does *not* last/protect as well? Sealants aren`t always "better" than waxes. Just wondered, never used the stuff.

Dirty Jacket- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d figure out whether you prefer abrasives that DO or DON`T diminish (I prefer the latter).

And yeah, two-step correction oughta work fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information