Post Thanks / Like

Question Need Advice: 2014 Durango Black cobwebbing

The vehicle has 18,000 miles, black, and has spider webbing marks in the finish. I have only a WEN 10" RO and it uses bonnets. I have never done detailing before, just very thorough cleaning. It was washed, clay barred, and a coat of good wax last week at the dealer. I know it was done because I helped do it. They use high quality products, Meguiars, and others. Living in Iowa the winters can be tough on vehicles. Should I wait until spring clean up to polish and wax, or should I waste this wax job, polish and wax to get through the winter. What do I need to do to remove the cobwebbing, and get the wet shine? What products should I buy, and do I need to get a polisher or can it be done by hand??

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Advice: 2014 Durango Black cobwebbing

Stormtruck2 -
    Welcome to an incredible Forum !

Sounds like the Dealer did not really correct the paint, they just cleaned it up ran a claybar over it and waxed it, right ?

I know about your WEN machine, its big and makes a lot of noise.. The bonnets will never be able to do what you want to do unless you are very experienced and want to take that time and effort..

There are much better machines and products sold here, and other places that can get your paint work looking like I do them - a big, black, ,rolling MIRROR, going down the street...

None of this work will be easy to do by hand and I know from experiences how big a Durango is - inside and out -..

If they put something with durability like a Collenite product on your paintwork, it might go much longer than anything else...

What did they put on the truck for your wax ?

Your machine might be able to work if you could get a smaller backing plate that has velcro, so you can use regular foam pads like the ones sold here...

It would always be easier to get a real Detailing machine, backing plate/s, pads, and product, but this might not be so easy on the wallet..

Good luck - you are among some awesome guys with all levels of expertise, and great advise...
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The black rolling mirror is the effect I want. I`ll find out tomorrow what wax we applied. I know it was washed, washed, clay barred, and waxed well and thoroughly, because the 80 year old detailer, (I hope to be in as good of shape as he is when I`m 60!!!) and I did it together. We both are picky. It took the two of us 3 1/2 hours to do the vehicle inside and out. What polisher/buffers would you recommend?? I have a protectant and wax coming just for the Durango. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Combo and BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax, best black car wax I appreciate the reply and your patience with this newbbie.

Post Thanks / Like

How much would you be willing to spend on a polisher ?
    For starters the GG 6" is a good machine for starters . There are better much more pricey polishers too.

Can you post some photos of the Durango capturing the swirls?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    The black rolling mirror is the effect I want. I`ll find out tomorrow what wax we applied. I know it was washed, washed, clay barred, and waxed well and thoroughly, because the 80 year old detailer, (I hope to be in as good of shape as he is when I`m 60!!!) and I did it together. We both are picky. It took the two of us 3 1/2 hours to do the vehicle inside and out. What polisher/buffers would you recommend?? I have a protectant and wax coming just for the Durango. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Combo and BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax, best black car wax I appreciate the reply and your patience with this newbbie.
    We are all happy to help !

So, does the Detailer at the Shop use a Rotary ? That machine with the right pads, product, and expertise can make short work of your paint defects..

If you have no experience with any other machine, then I would agree with ShawnF350`s advice - see if you can get the Griot`s Random Orbital, a 5" backing plate, a bunch of pads, and some good correcting product/s.. The learning curve on the Griot`s is way easier and faster than the Rotary, so this may be a good thing for you, no ??

Or how about getting lessons from the Detailer at the Shop and Im going to assume he is using a Rotary, because he has to be fast... He should if he has been using one for a few decades, be really good at paint correction and not installing swirls, etc... And he is picky, Right ??

This does not have to be complicated, it can be relatively easy to get the things you need and then go work on the Durango...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Most sealants IMO would give the car that look. Most will rightly tell you however, that the prep is what`s going to give you the look you want. I personally feel like dura gloss products give an excellent wet look though.

Post Thanks / Like

Stormtruck2- Welcome to Autopia!

Some sorta-random advice follows:

-I astrongly encourage you to buy the Griot`s Polisher with their 5" setup
    -What wax/etc. you use is actually of little consequence as it`s the prep and how you maintain it that determines how good a vehicle looks so I`d be all about durability
    -The hardest part of this stuff is probably keeping it nice; one mistake during a wash and you`ll have marring like those "cobweb scratches" again

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as you posted this over on AGO. You could do the same thing to the durango. I would add a polish into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    Two Bucket washed (Adams Car Shampoo), clay barred (Meguiars Blue Medium, twice), Compounded (Meguiars Ultimate Compound), Waxed (Meguiers Ultimate Liquid Wax) the wife`s 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS. First time in six years it has had it done. Full service car washes are all it has seen since 2009. Just bought her a 2014 Dodge Durango R/T fully loaded in black. So now in order to keep it looking right, I will have to take care of it myself. Have bought a lot of quality detailing products this week.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to take photos of the swirls, but this was as good as I could get. The sun has to be right in order to see them, so I "think" they aren`t that deep. I`ll check out the Griots 5" polisher the dealership detailer doesn`t really do any polishing, more deep cleaning and handwashing and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks to be some deep car wash marring. Hard to tell from the pic. This is a very involved job for a newbie. Dodge is not really known for high quality paint so be patient. Good luck! My advice would be to find a capable detailer who is versed on rotary correction. Search: "Auto polishing" in your area. I charge 240.00 to do a full correction on this truck. This could be new paint that is lifting from the bottom. That can only be re-painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paintxpert View Post
    That looks to be some deep car wash marring. Hard to tell from the pic. This is a very involved job for a newbie..
    I agree, that looks somewhat serious (at least by the standards here at Autopia) and people usually underestimate how challenging it is to fix something like that.

My advice would be to find a capable detailer who is versed on rotary correction...
    I OTOH don`t think that`d call for rotary-work at all, just the right DA/RO, the right pads/products, and the right mindset. One of the newer polishers running M101 on a MF Cutting Disk, followed by HD Polish on a foam polishing pad oughta take care of it. But it *will* take a bit of doing and [repeat need for proper mindset]. Spend one afternoon on one panel getting dialed-in and that should make for a good start. But don`t plan to get dialed-in after just an hour..

... This could be new paint that is lifting from the bottom. That can only be re-painted.
    Doesn`t look like that on *my* monitor, but as you said it`s just so hard to tell what`s going on by looking at internet pics. I`d be steamed if it did turn out to need redone!

Post Thanks / Like

There`s only 18k miles on it.. It cant be lifting unless someone spilled brake fluid, etc., all over it...

It just looks scratched but not so deep (as best as I can tell), that its a goner...

I dont know that much about Dodge paint but my "09 Black Grand Cherokee with 34k hard highway miles (same family as Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep) is perfect, had lots of good paint on it, and of course the Opti-Guard is still protecting the heck out of it years later...

Get the Griot`s, 5/14" pads, (lots of them) 5" backing plate, product/s, and go learn how to do it..
    I would run it full speed once I got the hang of it, to get as much pad rotation as possible...
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Thread Information