Post Thanks / Like

working bikes need a working coating

anyone who rides motorcycles knows the amount of abuse they take just riding about town. the paint and metal finishes are so open to all types of road debris, road grime, and weather elements, that bikes really need that extra protection that a coating can give. touring and working bikes often don`t have the option of being ridden only in nice weather and tend to take more abuse.
    this is my 2005 Harley Davidson superglide that falls into the working bike category.

after a thorough bath and blow dry, the surface was clayed with megs fine clay and polished with megs m205 on a white lc pad on my griot`s 3" d/a.
    Harley vivid black paint is notorious for scratching just looking at it and a very good candidate for oc 2.0. . after a quick alcohol/dist. water wipe down, two coats of oc 2.0 were applied and the bike was kept out of the weather for 24hrs to allow a good cure time. optimum metal polish was used on all chrome and bare aluminum.

both products are very user friendly, which is great for us old guys.
    oc 2.0 is wipe on and walk away. just make sure not to leave any high spots while applying the oc 2.0. they will show up as what appears to be wet spots. if left in place to dry, you will need to re polish the spots down and oc 2.0 reapplied. still, not a big deal if it happens.
    optimum metal polish is good for all metals, just wipe on, let haze, and wipe off. it works very well, even on exhaust stained pipes.

opti-coat has been around for quite awhile now and seems to have the best record for durability of any current coatings and was my first choice. it leaves a very slick, high gloss finish that bonds permanently to the paint.
    the syringe tube contained enough to coat a friend`s Nissan 4dr pick up and my bike, each with two full coats, so it`s a good value. I would recommend it to anyone.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: working bikes need a working coating

Lewking good. Great Job!

I think a "coating" rather than a wax or sealant makes better sense on a bike.

Thread Information