Thread: Detail Names

Detailing the Gulf Coast vitalcarcare's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detail Names

How many of you name your packages?

I started naming my packages simply to help have something that catches on with my customers and they can tell me what "level" they are looking to achieve as well as have names for the "package" which relates to frequency

We have our Alpha/ Beta/ Gamma/ Xray/ Operation ECO

Alpha is are 2 bucket thorough wash/wax/dress
    Beta is a single stage correction
    Gamma is a multi stage correction
    Xray is our headlight jobs
    ECO is our waterless wash

We have 3 packages

SafeGuard : basically a buy 2 get 1 alpha wash

Cosmic : a Beta followed by monthly alpha washes (6month)

Fallout : 1 full correction followed by monthly alpha washes and 1 beta detail (12 months)

Id enjoy hearing what you guys go off of. I wanted something different than the old Bronze Silver Gold packages Ive always seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail Names

I love your marketing idea. I used to name my packages, but honestly I really don`t go by names anymore. Packages/names make it easy offer something to somebody who isn`t sure what they want, but now I focus on addressing the concerns of my clients and their detailing needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    now I focus on addressing the concerns of my clients and their detailing needs.
    I think as an honest detailer we should always focus on addressing the needs of our clients. The names give me a basis of "wants" and I work with their "needs" to meet their overall goals, so its a win win. Most of the time this is easily determined by asking how the customer uses their cars. Is this a weekend sports car or a daily driver?

I get a lot of people that ask for Gamma details but dont want to pay the 350+ for the amount of time I set aside for this level of attention. when they only need 70-90% correction and are more happy spending in the 200-300 range.

Post Thanks / Like

^^Yeah but the bronze silver and gold packages are easy for people to understand, especially for someone who doesn`t have the slightest clue about detailing. Right now this is what I have, of course I don`t have brochures just yet so it`s still up in the air...

Silver
    Gold
    Platinum
    Diamond

I thought about doing something like

Glow
    Shine
    Reflective
    Illuminate

But that might be too confusing for people unless I had it in order in a brochure. We`ll see....
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    ^^Yeah but the bronze silver and gold packages are easy for people to understand, especially for someone who doesn`t have the slightest clue about detailing. Right now this is what I have, of course I don`t have brochures just yet so it`s still up in the air...

Silver
    Gold
    Platinum
    Diamond

I thought about doing something like

Glow
    Shine
    Reflective
    Illuminate

But that might be too confusing for people unless I had it in order in a brochure. We`ll see....
    Your absolutely right. The Bronze-Platinum is something everyone can relate to. Especially if you try to entice the ladies, they love diamonds! This would be one of those times where you would "jewel" the paint

With any name I like the marketing scheme of places line Five Guys or In n Out. Simple and to the point. People get flooded with options and most have no idea what the difference is in sealants/glazes/carnauba. Knowing what they need in a simple discussion typically tells me what I need to know. Daily driver or weekend cruiser. Abused or preserved. Battered by uv rays or kept away from the elements.

I will say, though, having simple laid out packages are great for brochures. Especially if your going to give them to office complex`s. Go in, sell yourself and then leave something behind for them to look over and then call them back a few days later. They will ask for what they want by name or have questions on the differences. Great time to educate and further plant yourself as someone with the knowledge that they can trust their possessions with.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with Todd. Name are good if you do a lot of volume work, but I find many people don`t understand what their car needs. Addicted makes a great point about making the levels easy to understand. In response to the common question of what I charge I always tell people it depends on the car and what they want. I let them know the base price for a complete clean/clay/protect for their type of vehicle. I then explain that the use of the vehicle, where they park, how they maintain it, why they are getting it detailed, they starting condition and the desired results all affect the price. I think it instills confidence that I am customizing the service specifically for them, especially for the garage queens.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to name a few packages myself many years ago, but some folks got them screw up and was thinking they were getting a full blown detail but only got a one stepper. I just focus on addressing the needs of my clients and their detailing wants.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion here.

Names can definitely come back to bite ya.

Since you do not have packages
    How do you market your details? Simple by description or just state your a detailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I have names for my packages. I think there are a lot of people that want to just say a name or phrase to describe what they are looking for. People would much rather ask for something like a "supreme detail", than this, this, that, that, and then some. Taking that baseline package and tailoring it to fit the customers exact needs are the key to making it work correctly and escaping the stigmas of the volume detailers shtick. My packages all say prices starting at.... I also list individual services as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vitalcarcare View Post
    Since you do not have packages
    How do you market your details? Simple by description or just state your a detailer?
    The majority of my business comes from referrals. I simply narrow down to what the customer is looking for. Most can be categorized as either clean & protect, one stage correction/enhancement or full correction. I can usually narrow it down pretty easily to what the customer wants and what the car needs. I don`t always go over every function unless price is their primary concern. Then I will let them know what will not be done so that they don`t think I missed something or cheated them.

What I don`t like about preset packages is they don`t always account for the circumstances of each vehicle and then potential customers have a hard time understanding why they are being charged more than the base price for the package.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to really push packages (I still have them on my website belladetailing.com) and I think they can be a valuable selling tool. It simply depends on your market and your client`s expectations.

However most my clients would do something like this... "I want the Gold but the interior is pretty nice and I`m more worried about the paint."

Me,"So instead of me spending the time on the interior would you rather have me focus that time on the paint?"

Them,"That would be great."

I still offer packages, but 90-95% of my details are basically custom tailored to what the client wants.

That said you can never sell something unless you offer it, whether it be an expensive detail or a basic wash. I`m very much a week-end warrior as working at PBMG is my full time job, so I have the freedom to focus on what enjoyable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vitalcarcare View Post
    I think as an honest detailer we should always focus on addressing the needs of our clients. The names give me a basis of "wants" and I work with their "needs" to meet their overall goals, so its a win win. Most of the time this is easily determined by asking how the customer uses their cars. Is this a weekend sports car or a daily driver?

I get a lot of people that ask for Gamma details but dont want to pay the 350+ for the amount of time I set aside for this level of attention. when they only need 70-90% correction and are more happy spending in the 200-300 range.
    +1500

Post Thanks / Like

The busiest detail shop in my area offers 3 packages.

Good.
    Better.
    Best.

Simple language, fits all budgets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I used to really push packages (I still have them on my website belladetailing.com) and I think they can be a valuable selling tool. It simply depends on your market and your client`s expectations.

I still offer packages, but 90-95% of my details are basically custom tailored to what the client wants.
    Perfect example of when to put out names Websites/Brochures/Flyers etc. This gives a conversation starter which can end up being the custom tailored jobs.

From a customer relations standpoint I find that consumers have a hard time understanding the "lingo." So you have to have somewhere to start. Every car I do has a slightly different price point because of condition/need of that customer and I stress that point. Everyone likes to think that they are special and are getting a good deal.

What I do not like about packages is when people give a super low price then start tacking on all the extras. This might be a good way of increasing the service ticket, however, it can also be irritating to the consumer. If I`m going to do a full correction, I`m going to treat the car like royalty. Why invest the time if your not going to properly protect it?

Thread Information