Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i was reveiwing the instructions that came with the kit. when it says when the applicator becomes dirty soak it in water and wring it damp or something like that, should I put another nickel size dab or just continue applying with the damp applicator?
    2003 Apex Silver Lancer Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to put some product on the applicator for it to work . You can apply AIO with a damp applicator (I`ve had good luck with the Microfiber applicator that came with the mini klasse kit from yosteve) but DO NOT apply SG with a damp applicator.

In other words, yes you need to put product on the applicator after you wash it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will obviously need to put more product on that applicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you just continue applying after rinsing it out, what would you be applying to the car? Water? j/k.

Please, let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>but DO NOT apply SG with a damp applicator.

[/b]</blockquote>
    puterbum,

I`ve done it both ways when applying SG. Once with a dry applicator, and once with a damp applicator. Using a damp applicator helps to spread the SG very thin. And you use much less product. As long the applicator is not soaking wet, then I don`t see a problem.

Why do you feel so strongly about not using a damp applicator? What am I missing? What problems may arise from this approach?

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey BillNorth:

I was under the impression that KSG was water soluble, so it would be less effective if you applied it with a damp applicator. Applying it with a dry applicator was kind of annoying for me, so it`s great to hear you have had success with the damp applicator.

Did you or anyone else notice any differences with applying KSG with a damp applicator vs dry? I recall that when I was doing Klasse instruction research most people seemed to use dry applicator for this reason, but could be wrong.

Thanks for info!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Initially it`s difficult to apply it with the sponge applicator (seems kinda scratchy) but that`s because the sponge is still "dry" when it wets up with SG, use a little more in the beginning. Eventually it slides easier, IMO. SG contains no water, so diluting it would be adding water, but I don`t know the effect it has, but many have used it, so if it works by experience that`s cool too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill didn`t you have hazing problems or was it someone else?

Maybe the a wet app with SG caused this? Maybe this is the reason for the haze? Heck I dont know but my brain kinda tingled when I read that. Like that was what is different with people with haze and those without.

Any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess`s spidey sense is tingling again, everyone better duck!

The reason I say to rinse and wring the applicator is to clean it off when it gets dirty. Since AIO has cleaning abilites many things like oxidation, particulate, etc comes of onto the pad and you definately don`t want this rubbing on your paint. With the SG it`s already been cleaned by the AIO so that`s good. If you your AIO applicator get`s dirty rinse it out and wring it out really good. Add more AIO and you`re on your way.

It`s a perfectly valid question

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice WEB PAGE steve! PUN INTENDED!!!

DO you think the wet app with SG could be the cause of hazing?

Or is it a fraternity thing? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you asking me to guess?

hmm lets see, some people call swirlmarks spiderwebbing

well if you use QD or non-distilled water for SG lube (sounds kinky) but anyways, I do see how it can affect the SG. But I don`t know if it will cause hazing. Course the amount of SG that sits on the paint is very thin, so it wouldn`t be way off base in order to upset the system. I always err in the side of safe so I tend to keep things as "perfect" as possible. I rinse my applicator for AIO after every panel, and follow a panel order: HRT, B, F, Sides, Lower Sides (HRT=hood, roof, trunk btw )

I wouldn`t think that regular dilution of SG would cause hazing but rather a thinning effect. I guess I`m trying to think what hazing is on a molecular level. I saw that one car where the oils just seemed to push around, but then I hear of people that have haze that just won`t come off. There`s a lot going on to think about. Maybe the water hinders the polymerization making not as long or big or as many chains. I dunno, DK?

Sorry I didn`t answer your question guess, broke my own rules, bad self, bad self :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets brainstorm a bit

Maybe the SG does not cure like it should with the water present so it cures differently and does not bond so to speak and the hazing is actually these unbonded SG thingys or dohickeys.

Where are the chemist?

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Bill didn`t you have hazing problems or was it someone else?

Maybe the a wet app with SG caused this? Maybe this is the reason for the haze? Heck I dont know but my brain kinda tingled when I read that. Like that was what is different with people with haze and those without.

Any opinions? [/b]</blockquote>

GMN,

You`re right. I`m one of the people who is having the hazing issue. But here is the thing. When I applied SG on the bimmer, I used a DRY applicator to apply. The bimmer is the car with the haze. For the alero, I used a damp applicator, and so far I don`t see a haze.

I used a spray bottle of tap water to aid in removal of the product on both cars. But I think you may be right about using water of any kind when applying or removing SG. That could be my problem.

One thing I`m also keeping in mind is that the alero is silver, and the haze may not be as easy to see on a lighter colour. The bimmer is green. Imperfections of any kind are easy to spot on that colour.

Next spring I`ll go dry, and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll thrown another kink in all the theories. I have used, with very good results, a mixure of KSG and tap water in a spray bottle as a QD. Works just fine, leaving a VERY slick surface. I only do this after a good washing.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I`ll thrown another kink in all the theories. I have used, with very good results, a mixure of KSG and tap water in a spray bottle as a QD. Works just fine, leaving a VERY slick surface. I only do this after a good washing. [/b]</blockquote>

RH,

What ratio of SG to water did you use for your QD?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information