Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got done pulling my car down from ramps in my garage and while I was underneath the car I noticed something strange to me. All over there is this sticky clear goo-gunk....on the oil pan, on the transmission, etc. I tested a small area and it comes off with a little elbow grease, but I am not sure if this stuff should remain or not? The reason I am asking is that it has collected some dirt and crap and it looks YUCK! From a car cleaning standpoint, it was kind of driving me nuts, but I held back from just wiping it all off in case it was some sort of protectant that should remain. Does anyone have any ideas?!? Can this be removed or should it stay?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s cosmolene, applied at the factory to protect bare metal components from developing surface rust during shipping to dealers.

Of course, I can`t see your car and have no idea what exactly Subaru is doing at the factory, but that`s my guess.

Hopefully another Suby owner will chime in. Or perhaps ask the question on a Subaru board.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try and post an image tonight when I get back to town so you can see what I am talking about. That sounds like a pretty good guess that it is some sort of stuff applied from the factory to prevent rust....but is it needed now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be overly technical, but if it is a protectant, it is probably not cosmolene, which is no longer used by the vast majority of makers. There have been several discussions on this, this link touches on the subject:

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthrea...highlight=port

If you want to know more, do an archive search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cosmoline is waxy feeling and orange/brown in color. SMells terrible too.

Machine shops use it to protect raw metal surfaces that are machined prior to assembly. It is removed with mineral spirits or paint thinner in most industry settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear hardness Chart

Hey Guys.... as a rookie... not newbie... but rookie to the detailing thing. I know we have some really smart guys when it comes to polishing:notworthy
    I have seen some really great charts put together explaining pad, polish, etc etc.... would love to see someone put together a chart for hardnes on clear coats on OEM late model cars.... this would really help the new guys in selection of product I would think...

Picture is worth a thouhsand words.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    While a paint hardness chart is a great idea, I think it would be very difficult to accurately assemble. An idea of paint hardness is just something that you acquire through experience and can only really be subjectively explained unless it is scientifically compared using standard units of hardness with back to back testing.

How can you accurately compare hardness through buffing without being subjective? It all depends on pressure, polish, pad, machine, ambient conditions. When you add in that paint hardness can vary by year, manufacturer, and even colors of a single manufacturer, creating an accurate comparative chart becomes damn near impossible.

Long story short, this is why a test spot is always advocated.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Great piont

Great Piont....but for a piont of reference.... something would be nice.... IE... late model Chevy Tahoe to let`s say a 1999 model. Thanks...

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... what a great idea! I wish there was such a chart. I would sure make my life easier sometimes. :clap:

But unfortunately it`s usually trial and error. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad and work your way up until you get the desired amount of correction.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    :iagree:

Ron, if you`re tight for cash and don`t have the money to experiment with different products, M105 and M205 are two products that can tackle damn near anything. Pair those two with a DA polisher, a few LC orange, white, and black pads and you`re got a solid start-up package.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post

M105 and M205 are two products that can tackle damn near anything. Pair those two with a DA polisher, a few LC orange, white, and black pads and you`re got a solid start-up package.
    Excellent choice! I use them daily...:iagree::wink:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Excellent choice! I use them daily...:iagree::wink:
    +1 I agree 100%. You can`t go wrong with the Megs Twins!:clap:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Although this isn`t exactly what you asked for it does help explain the differences when polishing different hardness paints - .

This and many other helpful articles were written by Jon Miller (aka TOGWT) and are available at detailingwiki.com. The man is a walking encyclopedia of detailing.
    Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post

Ron, if you`re tight for cash and don`t have the money to experiment with different products, M105 and M205 are two products that can tackle damn near anything. Pair those two with a DA polisher, a few LC orange, white, and black pads and you`re got a solid start-up package.
    would this work on a 05 benz?!?

i have the m105 and m205 but have not tryed it yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2005 c230

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information