Post Thanks / Like

Upgrade or lateral move?

I have an OG Rupes 15. Not Mark II. All the pads and some UHS ones as well.

There`s a G15 open box for sale on ACC. I`m considering it. I have a Flex, so I`m not looking at the G21 at all. Love my Flex.

The G15 would be a replacement for the Rupes 15 that I have. I`m considering this because I give the Rupes 15 a 3.5/5 star rating. I don`t think I`ve ever been able to master it on the curves or vertical panels. I didn`t have these issues with my GG6, which I sold, so I`m looking for a potential replacement for the Rupes 15.

Now, I don`t want this to be a Rupes v. Flex v. Griot`s war. I`d just like to hear from G15 users if the technology would be a significant upgrade to my R15 or whether it would be similar in performance and have similar issues (curves, vertical panels).

I`d have to buy all new pads of course.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade or lateral move?

Kevin,

If it works BETTER for you...IT`s an upgrade, from experience if you have a tool and you dont use it, it`s just taking up space, get what works, now for the money issue... there are always people on this forum who want to upgrade to your Rupes, I`m sure at a reasonable price for and the pain of a new machine will not hurt too bad...
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes kevincwelch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IMO yes, but my original Rupes 15 was a dog compared to my original Rupes 21. When I was given the G15 to test it was a noticeable difference in power, but the biggest difference for me was just how it felt in my hands, the ergonomics of it, and the instant start vs. the Rupes slow start. The gap difference in power between my Rupes 21 and my G21 was not as noticeable, so again, my Rupes 15 may have just been a dog.

With the above being said, if you haven`t been able to master the stalling on curves with your current Rupes, the G15 may still give you some trouble, though it will likely be better than what you have now. While I feel my new Mark II (21) has the edge in power now over my BOSS, my G15 is still my favorite polisher and its the original test mule from over 2yrs ago.
    Thanks kevincwelch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of the first rupes in the country, had no complaints, even got a second one. When my original died and I saw the top people at meguiars now work for Griot`s that made me think! My friend Rod Kraft brought me a 15 to try and I fell in love with it! You will have no stalling issues and if you need more they give you the washer mod and encourage you to use it. And the warranty is unbeatable. We now only have one rupes and that is the I brid. We are now exclusively Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the feedback.

I`ve always felt like the R15 did great work on horizontal panels, but I feel like I have to pay too much attention to the markings on the backing plate to make sure it`s spinning properly on those curves and the vertical panels. Maybe it`s just my R15 because I feel like I don`t have nearly the same issues when I`m using the Mini. Probably me.

Is there any possibility the washer mod might improve things with the R15 before I move ahead with the G15?

Maybe with the Flex and the Mini I have just fallen "out of touch" with the R15. . . .

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Use the washer!
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Thread Information