Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First date with The Beast, aka Flex 3401 VRG

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I can fully understand people loving/despising the Flex 3401, just one of those things.

Tpr1634- That Flex 3401/Rupes 15 combo oughta be great! While I generally think "GG Boss15" instead of the Rupes, that`s 100% me and I might change my tune after I`ve used my Rupes Mini for a few jobs.

felixthecat- That somewhat pricey combo just might be the ticket for you too unless you want/need something smaller for spot-correction (dunno if they make little plates for the Rupes 15 or not).

BTW, I like your user-name, didn`t think anybody still remembered that character!
    Not sure if the mark 2 has more beans or not that`s my only complaint with my 15 using the lakecountry low pro pads helps some. The 3401 is a beast I have used it for years and love it, I would also add my Rupes mini is a must in the tool box I don`t know how I lived without it.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It really is a great tool! The only thing I didn`t like about mine is the beating it gave me on big correction jobs. Once I spent some time with my G21 and a BOSS microfiber pad there was no turning back. I honestly never thought I would strictly use a long throw until I could feel the difference in comfort.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes mrken1 liked this post
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I keep thinking about buying a Flex, but I`m really happy with all the Rupes machines that I own. When I use the Rupes 21 with a microfiber cutting pad and some Menz 400 or D300 I can`t imagine faster/safer defect removal. I have seen some for under $200 on eBay and for that price why not? I`ll talk myself into it one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran it on the one side of a battered service van today. Once ya get yer nose closer to them, they certainly get bigger than they look in the parking lot.

Broke into about 12 sections, some shallow body lines in panels. With cleaning pad on fly, using 3 pads, priming, etc. was about a 60 minute deal. Pretty much 4 passes got it as done as it was gonna get. Started at top, moving left to right, middle then lower. The lower panels were the most taxing but not unreasonable; a bit more so than GG6, more effective quickly than GG6.

Will use the Rupes to clear it up a bit more when done with the flex/m101 combo using HD Speed; not exactly apples to apples, compound v polish but the area covered and motions will show perhaps a bit of an `effort` comparison.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    It really is a great tool! The only thing I didn`t like about mine is the beating it gave me on big correction jobs. Once I spent some time with my G21 and a BOSS microfiber pad there was no turning back. I honestly never thought I would strictly use a long throw until I could feel the difference in comfort.
    If its that big of difference in forearm comfort, then I should be picking one of those G15`s up then. 21 for me is to much throw.

Post Thanks / Like

budgetPlan1- Glad the work van went well. Sounds like you`re just well-suited to how the Flex 3401 handles.

felixthecat- IME it`s more of an overall "gee, this polisher gives me a workout" for the people who feel that way. But really, I just don`t see you needing it. And FWIW the 21mm throw is more than *I* would want too.

Heh heh, all this discussion of aggressive polishers for non-Pros gets me primed for one of my "if you have to do much correction then something`s drastically wrong" rants
    Likes BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And FWIW the 21mm throw is more than *I* would want too.
    I feel the same. So much so, that once I`m done with some little projects I have planned, that 21 will be going away.

Post Thanks / Like

My 21 with a 5in plate is perfect. Any tight areas I just bust out the Rupes Nano ibrid. The 3401 was great for quick AIO jobs but I rarely do those. For me it gave a workout on my shoulders etc when using for long periods of time. If you are a weekend enthusiast who does a few vehicles a year then a 3401 is definitely top of the list.

Now that I am in business full time. Comfort, defect removal and speed are my priority. More often than not when I had both the 3401 and G21 in my possession I found myself grabbing the g21 after trying to use the 3401 cut with. The G21 just worked better and faster for me. Ended up ditching the 3401 and used the money for a Ibrid Nano.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I feel the same. So much so, that once I`m done with some little projects I have planned, that 21 will be going away.
    Seems like when the 21`s came out most everyone jumped on the 21 bandwagon vs the 15....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    Seems like when the 21`s came out most everyone jumped on the 21 bandwagon vs the 15....
    I`d think it`s a matter of what kind of correction one`s doing most of the time and on what kind of vehicles, and/or the need to prioritized time-efficiency.

Plus, I can imagine a "more is always better" mentality in play that experience may have altered.

Post Thanks / Like

Some follow up info in this post ( http://www.autopia.org/forums/machin...ml#post2094435 ) ; didn`t see the need to suck up bits and bytes with posting here as well.

End of day:
    - FLEX 3401 + Gray Force Hybrid + Megs M101 = Quick killer (in this situation anyway)
    - Flex can overcome current poor technique with brute force
    - Flex is a bit more tiring to use but can be mitigated somewhat by thoughtful body positioning, keeping arms in tight as possible (especially vertical panels). For me, moving whole body as opposed to reaching when doing a section helps to keep pad flat on surface, minimize walking.
    - Any added effort offset (for me) by time saved. Using a GG6 for 6-8hrs equivalent to using FLEX for 4hrs and results will be identical (if not likely better with FLEX)
    - Shock absorbing gloves (i forgot them yesterday) greatly improve the comfort of using the thing.

Is it gonna be the first tool I reach for when doing a car that perhaps only needs a quick once over with something like Menz 2400 or 3500? Nah...the Rupes will be much more entertaining to use methinks. I think the FLEX is for when you want/need to just plain get the jobs done; the Rupes is more for getting the job done and enjoying the process, time takes a back seat by likely a small fraction.

In the end, wasn`t sure about getting this in addition to the Rupes I bought a few weeks before; even said to myself "That was dumb..." but after using it, I have no regrets...it might not be used as much as the Rupes going forward as it`s not as `fun` but for those times when I just wanna take care of business, it will be a `go to` for sure. Choice is always good. Of course, in a few weeks after I increase my Rupes time, I`ll probably start wondering about the Duetto...because that`s just how it goes with hobbies. Strangely though, I have no interest in the Nano iBrid. Yet

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- I`m really glad it`s working out so well for you, and your experience/opinions basically mirror mine.

Kinda funny perhaps, but I have zero interest in the Rupes Duetto. Wonder if I`m missing something there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Some follow up info in this post ( http://www.autopia.org/forums/machin...ml#post2094435 ) ; didn`t see the need to suck up bits and bytes with posting here as well.

End of day:
    - FLEX 3401 + Gray Force Hybrid + Megs M101 = Quick killer (in this situation anyway)
    - Flex can overcome current poor technique with brute force
    - Flex is a bit more tiring to use but can be mitigated somewhat by thoughtful body positioning, keeping arms in tight as possible (especially vertical panels). For me, moving whole body as opposed to reaching when doing a section helps to keep pad flat on surface, minimize walking.
    - Any added effort offset (for me) by time saved. Using a GG6 for 6-8hrs equivalent to using FLEX for 4hrs and results will be identical (if not likely better with FLEX)
    - Shock absorbing gloves (i forgot them yesterday) greatly improve the comfort of using the thing.

Seems to me you`ve discovered that "proper" ergonomics, positioning, and gloves (AKA, personal safety equipment) makes a HUGE difference in using a polishing machine. I think this is one aspect of polishing machine use that can only be learned by experience actually doing it, versus reading about it in a book or online in this forum. Like learning to play golf, it`s all about the practicing and executing the proper techniques that will produce the desired results.

Many under-estimate the physical requirements to using a polishing machine for an extended period of time, and if anyone who does this on a limited basis, like a novice or week-end warrior, it can be rather taxing to the body physically. I would think that this is another reason many detailers, both novice and professional, have migrated to Long-throw dual-action polishers like the Rupes Bigfoot or Griot`s Garage BOSS polishers. It`s just easier on the body to use.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Cold to agree more Lonnie. The Rupes is so smooth and easy on the body, much more pleasant experience than the 3401 despite it being a very capable machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Cold to agree more Lonnie. The Rupes is so smooth and easy on the body, much more pleasant experience than the 3401 despite it being a very capable machine.
    Thats the impression I`m getting now. For me if it takes a tad longer, as long as the long as my forearms aren`t getting a big workout, as w/ a p/c, GG6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information