Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help selecting my next polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    This review for it is too funny:
    "Two stars because it looks nice, seems to be well built, its comfortable to use but its a girls polisher. It just bogs down..."
    Yeah I think that review is BS! I don`t have trouble with it, and there is all kinds of good reviews and threads on car forums in Europe like Autopia here in the U.S.
    Likes Angus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    This review for it is too funny:
    "Two stars because it looks nice, seems to be well built, its comfortable to use but its a girls polisher. It just bogs down..."
    Eh, "funny" isn`t the way I`d characterize that kind of stoneage sexism.

(Yes, indeed...I`m gonna keep calling such [stuff] out. It genuinely [ticks] me off that [individuals] still stay [stuff] like that.)
    Likes Militia28 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thew G15 seems to fit the best IMO. I didn`t care for the Flex and ended up selling mine. It was a very capable tool and well built but it didn`t work well with the Megs MF pads, which were new to the market at the time. I also don`t feel it finishes as well as the free spinning DA`s. The Rupes 15 would be solid as well but I can`t stand slow starts and just prefer the feel of the BOSS in my hands. Your LC pads will be fine with either tool but they likely won`t be as smooth as the intended OEM pads.
    Likes heisenberg liked this post
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    The last thing I need is something that`s harder on the body. Im trying to make this whole thing easier. I`m not getting any younger thats for sure.

Which Rupes model would you suggest??

I see the following statement on one of the websites that sells Rupes: Due to the machine’s large stroke, it is recommended to only use Rupes approved pads and accessories with the machine.

Sound I wouldn`t be able to use my 5.5" LC pads on the Rupes? Looks like the Rupes pads have holes in the center. The LC do not.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    I`m content with the Rupes tools I own in the LHR15 MKII, the mini and the nano. I think you will be quite happy with the 15. Especially on the trans am that has many curves.

With regards to the pads on the machine. I have used the Meguiar`s thin foam discs on my 15 MKII and I have to say the only pad the I liked on it was the burgundy cutting pad due to the stiffness of the pad. The polishing pad and finishing pad just didn`t work for me. The weight of the machine compressed them too much for my liking and would they would not spin very well. I bought some Rupes pads and they definitely work much better. Not to mention the little to no vibration with the Rupes pads.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the responses!

I have narrowed it down to the Griots G15 and the Rupes 15. This will be an after Christmas purchase so I have a little time to pick between the two...

I see that the Griots has a 900 watt motor while Rupes has a 500 watt motor - so that would most likely make it a bit heavier. However w that larger motor - Griots max is 5,000 orbits per minute while the Rupes is 4,200 orbits per minute.

Keep in mind I don`t do this professionally by any means. Just as a hobby. I`m just looking for a machine that is more efficient than my Griots 6" random orbital. I do like the style and hand placement of both the Rupes and the Griots so that will be a step up right off the bat!
    Likes ShakingHorizons, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The last thing I need is something that`s harder on the body. Im trying to make this whole thing easier. I`m not getting any younger thats for sure.

Which Rupes model would you suggest??

I see the following statement on one of the websites that sells Rupes: Due to the machine’s large stroke, it is recommended to only use Rupes approved pads and accessories with the machine.

Sound I wouldn`t be able to use my 5.5" LC pads on the Rupes? Looks like the Rupes pads have holes in the center. The LC do not.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Most prefer the 15. And ive used plenty of LC pads on my Rupes without issue

Post Thanks / Like

I have narrowed it down to the Griots G15 and the Rupes 15. This will be an after Christmas purchase so I have a little time to pick between the two...

I see that the Griots has a 900 watt motor while Rupes has a 500 watt motor - so that would most likely make it a bit heavier. However w that larger motor - Griots max is 5,000 orbits per minute while the Rupes is 4,200 orbits per minute.

Keep in mind I don`t do this professionally by any means. Just as a hobby. I`m just looking for a machine that is more efficient than my Griots 6" random orbital. I do like the style and hand placement of both the Rupes and the Griots so that will be a step up right off the bat!
    I can`t answer you on the Griot`s side of it but Dylan posted this and is a very good write up to read.

Power vs. Consumption - Why bigger is not always better.=

In the end you can`t go wrong with either choice.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The weights are virtually the same, at least when I weighed the G15 to the older Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for the Rupes 15. I use many other pads with it, especially microfiber and don`t notice much vibration. And Rupes is now making polishers in the USA, so that`s a big plus. Don`t forget the super reps that Rupes has working for them. If you have a question about anything Rupes you can post it here or email them directly, or even pm them and they get right back to you. Good people!
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a RUPES 15 Mark II and it`s a little smoother when using Buff & Shine`s Uro-Tec pads than my second-generation Griot`s 6" with any pads.

I have to tell you, though, if I could keep just one polisher, it`d be the Griot`s 6". I feel like it`s a necessary part of the Tuf Shine application. (You can attach brushes to the Griot`s and Porter Cable-style DAs to clean the tires.)

The only issue you may have with your Lake Country pads if they weren`t designed for a long-throw polisher is their durability. It takes a tougher pad to withstand the longer throw.

I haven`t worked my way up to amateur status yet, so I admit my opinion on polishing tools comes from limited experience.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    I have this polisher and use the Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pads . It is the same as the one over in Europe they call Das 6 Pro Plus.I like it a lot, can`t beat the price, and the shipping to me was less then 1 week. (link removed by admin)
    I have the same one....just got adams new, one see which works better. I admit I have a thing for polishers, USA, China, Generic Made....use them then on to Ebay...
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    I have the same one....just got adams new, one see which works better. I admit I have a thing for polishers, USA, China, Generic Made....use them then on to Ebay...
    Did you get the one like I posted off Amazon? Let me know which one you like better, I didn`t know Adams came out with a new polisher, going to check it out now.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a Griots Garage 6" random orbital (2nd Gen). I do like it and I have no plans to get rid of it...however, as we all do on here, I was thinking of trying something different.

So, with that in mind...I`m wondering if there is a buffer out there that meets all the items on my "wish list"?

- Needs to be a DA type machine - not a rotrary.
    - More effective/powerful than the Griots so it can get the job done in less time. The Griots is awesome for final polishing but it does take its time on heavy defect removal.
    - Accepts a 5" backing plate. I don`t have any plans to purchase an entirely new arsenal of pads so the machine needs to be compatible w 5.5 inch LC buffing pads.
    - Ideally I would like it to be a little quieter than the Griots polisher.
    - Less vibration than the Griots polisher
    - I sort of like the idea of a variable speed trigger as well

Do you guys have any suggestions??

Thanks!
    Dan
    Are you looking for a new polisher for the sake of saving time, or are you after something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    Did you get the one like I posted off Amazon? Let me know which one you like better, I didn`t know Adams came out with a new polisher, going to check it out now.
    Yes,

With the sale going on @ Adams and it being a 15MM with some good reviews from people here who posted on Adams I thought I would give it a try. I will post about it when it arrives....
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes mikejames, felixthecat, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    Yes,

With the sale going on @ Adams and it being a 15MM with some good reviews from people here who posted on Adams I thought I would give it a try. I will post about it when it arrives....
    Great to hear what you think about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information