Post Thanks / Like

What are my options? Large paint chip with bubbling

Hey All,

So I just bought a 2014 Mazda 3 that has a dime sized chip along with a larger half dollar sized bubble surrounding it on my plastic bumper surface. What are my options for self repair here? I can`t afford to repaint the entire bumper and I`m ok with it not looking perfect.

THANKS!

FullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are my options? Large paint chip with bubbling

If I want it to be an okay/not so good finish because I don`t want to repaint...

1. buy paint match rattle can
    2. buy compound, polish, tape, scrapers, flexible putty such as bondo brand, sand paper, and sanding block, and probably a scraper or razor blade
    3. prepared for a lot of work and disappointment

for the work...

a. scrape off all loose paint carefully, or you can just sand it off...
    b. mask off a larger area... probably a good dollar bill side of space, using that bend as the blend line where it goes from horizontal to vertical on your bumper.
    c. carefully wet sand the area with 800-1500 grit, whatever you are comfortable with... until you have it nice and smooth... you`d probably see a dark spot, with a light ring... hopefully smooth through sanding, the color... and then the clear coat... think topography map, with the center being the lowest point and outer ring of clear coat as the high points.
    d. clean thoroughly... 1:5 ratio of 70% IPA would work...
    e. apply the putty as smooth as possible... with a old credit card if the putty didnt come with scrapers...
    f. sand again until smooth...
    g. rattle can light coat and wet sand if necessary (rough spots high spots over application of paint, etc...)
    h. repeat g until satisfied (3-8 coats depending on how light each coat is... 10-30 minute time in between...)
    i. swear a lot because you will probably mess up 1000x
    j. give up and now have a large sanded area that you might not be able to fix.
    k. go to body shop with the new credit card...

i-k is realistic... but if you do succeed...

wait a few days to a week for the paint to cure completely... and compound and polish and admire your mediocre results since you will see your paint lines... at least it is now a 6 footer if you know what I mean.

Source: did it so many times, and each time I say I wont do it again.
    Disclaimer: I am just sharing my experience and in no way will be held responsible for your use of my list of experiences. I would recommend you to either leave it alone or go to a professional body shop to have it taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Colorchip or factory touch up paint. Peel bubbled area off. Wet sand edges. Paint.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Cover the trunk sill of the bumper cover with matte black or gray vinyl wrap. Call it your trunk sill protector. Sand down the bubbling paint first.
    Likes texasgibby, unexplainedbacon liked this post
    Thanks unexplainedbacon thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like LED`s suggestion. Actually, many manufacturers these days sell bumper guards like the one shown below (for a Mazda 3 but not the same model year apparently). It appears the one shown may be an aftermarket solution that is even cheaper. Do a little searching online and I`ll bet you can find one.

Another really cheap alternative may be something like a non-skid tape that you can cover that area to make it appear like a bumper protector. If the material looks decent and you cut it right, I doubt anyone would give it a second look. The only problem with any of these is if you ever decide to pull them off you`ll likely pull the pint up that is underneath. .....but if you leave it on, who cares?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Challenger R/T
    2020 Forester
    1986 4Runner
    1969 Charger SE
    Likes unexplainedbacon liked this post
    Thanks unexplainedbacon thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the suggestions. I kinda feared it would be a disappointing hack job even if I put a lot of time into repainting/touching up but had hoped maybe there was some magic method. I think I`ll look into a bumper guard. Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Cover the trunk sill of the bumper cover with matte black or gray vinyl wrap. Call it your trunk sill protector. Sand down the bubbling paint first.
    Any idea where to get a good vinyl wrap like that?

Thread Information