Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction -2k grit

Accumulator, I never use a rotary if I`m not wetsanding. I use a GG6 or MK II 15. But when I`m wet-sanding lacquer with orange peel so bad it`s impossible to see my reflection, Removing sanding marks with a DA, microfiber pads, and a heavy compound on lacquer, for me the residue control is a nightmare and I`m constantly stopping. Plus a rotary is so much easier to use than a DA and has so much less vibration over extended polishing sessions.

But the biggest drawback when using a long throw or an 8mm is hitting emblems, seams, hitting areas with protruding chrome trim, etc. I hardly ever have to tape off because using a rotary I can get extremely close to trim and emblems without actually hitting them (that`s primarily why I follow up the wool compounding step with foam before switch over to the rotary). I can`t imagine how I would remove 100% of sanding marks without a rotary, an extension, and a 2 inch foam pad)

Thank you guys for all the great feedback!!

Post Thanks / Like

The wool pad that came with the dewalt 849x has a lot of cut, I regulary use lambswool for correcting paint with speed from 1000 to max 1400/500.
    When this combination doesnt give me the results I need then I work with the big wool pad that came with my machine, in this case I again try with speed around 1200/400, if in this case the defects like heavy scratches , very hard paind dont want to go away then I get angry. 2000/200 rpm gets the job done(this way I think is not the choice of the polish that does the job but of course higher rpm`s.
    Like always we go from least agressive method and going higher.

I would never use hard foam cutting pad with 2000rpm`s but wool pads are forgiving in heating and burning paint.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

LashingStanley- Heh heh, so I`m not the only guy here who deals with lacquer after all (My `85 Jag..)

I hear you on how a RO`s orbit can make for some bumping/etc...I`m just on the other side of the Rotary/RO fence. Not a right/wrong thing IMO, whatever works for somebody Fortunately for me, I`m only working on my own stuff so it can take as long as it takes; if that means Xhours per panel, OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information