Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what`s wrong with this paint?

That definitely looks like a poor respray job.

I had a metallic silver Subaru with similar looking paint on one of the doors.

Metallic silver is really tough to match... and realistically won`t if you`re just spraying one panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Not enough paint. Bad respray.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to go along with the bad repaint crowd, but since you`ve got Menz 400 try that on your orange pad, put about 5 pounds of downward pressure and do about 4-5 passes and see if there is any difference. If not, you know there is not much you can do for it except have it resprayed. But if you are happy with it just drop the top and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would have to go along with the bad repaint crowd, but since you`ve got Menz 400 try that on your orange pad, put about 5 pounds of downward pressure and do about 4-5 passes and see if there is any difference. If not, you know there is not much you can do for it except have it resprayed. But if you are happy with it just drop the top and have fun!
    Oops. That`s a typo. Sf4500 not 400. Menzerna IP(800?) is the heaviest thing I have right now.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSlow View Post
    Oops. That`s a typo. Sf4500 not 400. Menzerna IP(800?) is the heaviest thing I have right now.
    Well, since you have a Finishing or Jeweling Polish, (SF4500) instead of a Compound, it is no wonder you did not get the result you were looking for..

Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO91E) is still a Polish and will not really be able to correct paint that is in need of a lot of correction..
    It will help to get some good pads that are designed to be used with a compound, if you want to pursue this further..

A 5" backing plate and pads would allow the machine to rotate the pad more, but you need to up the speed to 6 and press down and go slowly, watching what is going on while you are doing this, in good lighting... It would also be way easier to handle under speed and get into more places where the big dog 6" pad cant go easily.. Just a thought...

When you washed the car and used a Claybar or rubberized towel or pad, what came off of the paint ?

If you had clay, What color was the gunk in the claybar after working one part of the hood ?

Did the paint feel really smooth after this step ??

Whenever I correct any German car - even Jet Black with any of the Menzerna Line products, I always work the product until it is about gone, so I can get the most out of their perfectly milled correction abrasives...

A good way to tell if this hood has been repainted is to open that huge clamshell hood and look at the top edges of the front fenders and the edge where the hood meets in front of the doors...

It is all painted in those places, and if its different, or you see overspray anywhere in there, then it indeed was painted..

Look on the underside edge of the hood, all the way around to see if its perfectly smooth and painted or something different..

If you get really close to the hood, can you smell paint fumes coming out of it ??
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The paint felt very smooth after clay. The clay picked up some dark particles like it usually does. I always think it looks like smeared pencil lead

like I said I haven`t detailed in several years and mostly just wanted to brighten up his car and start sharpening my skills again. When I saw MIP wasn`t making a dent I thought it better to get some more experienced opinions.

Im about to order some pads anyway. A friend is paying me to detail his Silverado soon. Not a heavy correction, just clay, one pass finishing polish, and wax. I have one white pad and I know I`ll need a few for a truck. Thinking about picking up something like M205 for his truck. Would that be better than M82 for a single pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSlow View Post
    The paint felt very smooth after clay. The clay picked up some dark particles like it usually does. I always think it looks like smeared pencil lead

like I said I haven`t detailed in several years and mostly just wanted to brighten up his car and start sharpening my skills again. When I saw MIP wasn`t making a dent I thought it better to get some more experienced opinions.

Im about to order some pads anyway. A friend is paying me to detail his Silverado soon. Not a heavy correction, just clay, one pass finishing polish, and wax. I have one white pad and I know I`ll need a few for a truck. Thinking about picking up something like M205 for his truck. Would that be better than M82 for a single pass?
    I never see dark things like pencil lead.. in claybars - I always see like brown residue or sometimes colored residue if they use that dang colored spraywax a lot at the carwash... Depends on the color of the claybar to an extent anyway, what colors will be seen..

Well, Meguiars82 is old technology DAT - Diminishing Abrasives Technology - , which means they break down and then they are done.. It leaves a nice finish depending on the technique and paint condition, but it`s still a Polish and not a Compound..

Meguiars 205 is the newer Technology - SMAT - Super Micro Abrasive Technology - which means it will keep working and not break down and stop like DAT products do... M205 finishes really nice, especially if the paint has been corrected first with a compound...

If you are just looking to make the paint look better from a distance (especially if it is really scratched up from the carwash, etc..), then depending on the color, either one will be ok..

Of course, lighter colors will hide more defects than darker colors in the sun...

The M82 will stop working when its broken down, so you will know that this is what you are going to get with the single pass...
    You can usually tell by looking and the sound it makes as it rubs across the paintwork...

Kind of like how a claybar sounds and feels "abrasive" at first on that spot, and as it removes the gunk, it smooths out and gets quiet...

The M205 will keep working and not break down, so you need to decide when to stop if you are seeing what you want it to be...

I hate any pad that has anything in it or missing out of it period.. I want a Flat Pad so I can get the entire surface working all at the same rate.... Its smoother too...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest a thought. This is in the paint. It is under the clear coat. You`re not going to get to it.

BMW is not unknown for this. I bought a brand new 320i in 1984. I honestly forget the number maybe a 318? I want to forget the car. It was white. Only at night, under street lights would a big blotch show in the middle of the hood. I asked BMW about warranty. They refused to do anything about it. I sold the car. I will never own another BMW as long as I live.
    A while later. A year or two? I found out that a man on the east coast who owned a 7 series. He started a class action law suit against BMW for this same thing.
    Lets face it people. For what you pay for a BMW. They should correct this. They literally double the price when it comes to the US. Tons of profit. I will never forget or forgive BMW for this. For what I paid for that car. It`s ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I never see dark things like pencil lead.. in claybars - I always see like brown residue or sometimes colored residue if they use that dang colored spraywax a lot at the carwash... Depends on the color of the claybar to an extent anyway, what colors will be seen..

Well, Meguiars82 is old technology DAT - Diminishing Abrasives Technology - , which means they break down and then they are done.. It leaves a nice finish depending on the technique and paint condition, but it`s still a Polish and not a Compound..

Meguiars 205 is the newer Technology - SMAT - Super Micro Abrasive Technology - which means it will keep working and not break down and stop like DAT products do... M205 finishes really nice, especially if the paint has been corrected first with a compound...

If you are just looking to make the paint look better from a distance (especially if it is really scratched up from the carwash, etc..), then depending on the color, either one will be ok..

Of course, lighter colors will hide more defects than darker colors in the sun...

The M82 will stop working when its broken down, so you will know that this is what you are going to get with the single pass...
    You can usually tell by looking and the sound it makes as it rubs across the paintwork...

Kind of like how a claybar sounds and feels "abrasive" at first on that spot, and as it removes the gunk, it smooths out and gets quiet...

The M205 will keep working and not break down, so you need to decide when to stop if you are seeing what you want it to be...

I hate any pad that has anything in it or missing out of it period.. I want a Flat Pad so I can get the entire surface working all at the same rate.... Its smoother too...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    thanks for the help. He knows I`m not going to do serious paint correction. Just going to clean it up and make it shine more. It`s 2013 Silverado, maroon, so pretty dark. That`s what has me worried. I want something with some cut, but not enough that I have to go back with a finishing polish. I have a new bottle of M82 sitting in my garage, that`s why I mentioned it.

Post Thanks / Like

We are all glad to help !

That maroon color is beautiful - Hope you can do this in the shade and not in full sun...

Since you already have the M82, sounds like you are going to use it; it will work so long at the Polish level it is, and then break down, but finish nicely since it is a polish..

The clarity and gloss level it gives you as a Polish, before it breaks down will be determined to a point by the condition of the paint in terms of defects, the hardness of the paint, the type of pads you use, and your technique (downward pressure, speed, pad rotation, arm speed across that spot on the panel)

When you do a test spot, you will be able to determine what works best for this project in terms of pressure, speed, pad rotation, etc...

If it was me, I would run that machine wide open, press down pretty hard, but not so much as to lose pad rotation, and work that polish until its gone..
    Then wipe off the foam pad with a cotton towel, spray some lubricant on the pad, so the compound doesnt dry out, and do it again..

At some point the pad will become saturated with gunk and will have to be changed out..

Of course, if you claybar it carefully so as to not introduce any marring, that will increase the Polish`s ability to give you a little more clarity and gloss, because it doesnt have to work at cleaning out as much embedded gunk in the paintwork..

Sounds like you have a plan ! Lots of real estate there.. Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`m ordering some flat pads today so I`ll have at least 4 white pads to work with. Also going to see if pep boys carries M205. I like the idea of being able to work it longer if needed. Seems like that would add versatility. And the pro series Megs stuff is a little cheaper which is nice when doing jobs at a specific price point.

I I was planning on finishing with Klasse AIO on a red pad. Just because I have it already and it`s easy to take off. I`ve also used Megs yellow tech wax in the past. Could get a new bottle of that I guess.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information