Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Tesla Service Detailer in desperate need of help with this paint!

I`m a Detailer at a Tesla Service/Delivery center. Due to the fact that customers spend 1-3 hours with the car under harsh artificial lighting before they leave, we essentially give retail details to every customer that receives their car from our center. I`ve been trying to jewel solid black Tesla Model S&Xs with 3M Ultrafine Polish via rotary, and CANNOT get it to work. I`ve tried more pressure, I`ve tried zero pressure, I`ve stuck with about 1" per second while jeweling the paint up to 1500 rpm, then dropping down to 600-800 rpm (I`ve tried everything below 1k rpm for the final 2 passes. ~7-800 RPM seems to work best) I`ve tried priming Kevin Brown method, I`ve tried over-priming, I`ve tried not priming, I`ve tried ultra finishing, finishing, light cutting pads.

Right now, my best results are with Crimson Buff and Shine Ultra Finishing pads. However, it is still unacceptable.

Here is rotary:

And here is Rupes LHR15 with the exact same pad removed from the rotary and placed on the Rupes.

Both pictures are after an alcohol wipedown, followed by lacquer thinner to ensure a true finish is revealed during our tests.

This paint is SOFT. Going aggressive with a microfiber on residue will look like 1000 grit sanding marks. Final wipedowns marr the paint with the best microfibers we can find. Think jet black BMW paint, or Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl, minus the pearl flake covering any light marring.

Obviously it is the machine/technique and not remaining swirls from the cutting or polishing steps. We stick with buff and shine pads because, frankly, 3M pads are worthless on these cars. Can anyone give me any advice or tell me where I may be going wrong? Is jeweling paint this unforgiving with a rotary possible with Ultrafina?

Thanks so much for reading!
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tesla Service Detailer in desperate need of help with this paint!

I`ve seen a lot of people use a concoction of 205 and water in a spray bottle. Also try to find write ups using only water to buff. I have tried water buffing on one of my trucks. It is custom painted and has the softest clear I`ve ever seen and this technique worked perfectly for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by top189h View Post
    I`ve seen a lot of people use a concoction of 205 and water in a spray bottle. Also try to find write ups using only water to buff. I have tried water buffing on one of my trucks. It is custom painted and has the softest clear I`ve ever seen and this technique worked perfectly for me.
    I can`t seem to come up with anything regarding this technique?

Could a mod move this to paint correction and gloss? I posted in the wrong section
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

Read Kevin Brown`s articles on his site, get away from the 3m and rotary. Those cars don`t like that, rupes and m205 on micro finishing pad using proper technique should work.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had excellent results with Rupes 21, megs mf finishing discs, Capro Gloss pads and Capro Essence.
    From what I understand, Essence contains a small amount of Carpro Reflect as a internal finishing polish.
    For the most part, I remove any left over Essence with a waterless wash. And yes...it is very SOFT paint.
    Towels are important! I found Carpro BOA towels to be my go-to towel for wiping off any remaining Essence.

2016 Tesla Model S - Minor correction, Gloss enhancement & CQuartz Finest

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice ^^^

Another expert on Tesla especially is Joseph Torbati - on here as Jsmooth....
    He had probably Detailed hundreds of Tesla`s now..
    PM him, he will know exactly what you are doing and should not be doing...

And yes for sure, 3m Ultra Fina was great back in 2005 and all, but there are better products out now for the newer technology paint that has also evolved a lot since 2005...
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw a post on the AG site about this same problem a few months back. Remind me not to buy a black Tesla.��

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve seen Larry at AMMO using nothing but water on a soft black Porsche.
    Likes 04accord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I`ve seen Larry at AMMO using nothing but water on a soft black Porsche.
    Link to the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR7FjbCDWlU
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve found not only is the Tesla paint soft (by measuring) I found that it`s also to very thin.
    I personally would stay away from a rotary. The paint is too thin for Old Skool techniques.
    Note: Even back in the day I personally wasn`t that impressed with the 3M Ultrafine polish.
    As Stokdgs stated, there are new technologies that I`d explore for the soft, thin Tesla paint.

Likes Stokdgs, ShakingHorizons liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett:
    My question to you and to your department service manager is WHY isn`t there a manufacturer`s Technical Service Bulletin (TSB ) on how to prep a new Tesla prior to customer delivery? Also, if you are seeing "problems/issues" with clear coat/paint on new cars, is this being reported back to the main office or production facility? For a new car that costs a lot of money (at least in my book!), you`d think it would be close to perfect. (Then again, this forum is replete with new mega-dollar Ferrari`s from the factory that are absolutely terrible paint-wise that have been corrected by some highly skilled and respected Autopian professional detailers!!)

If they (the main office) get enough "complaints/comments/concerns" inquiries. sometimes it generates an internal investigation as to a quality issue or a need for a "secret recall" for a series of Vehicle Identification Numbers (IE unique Model VIN) specific to a production run for a day or period of time when a "problem" is discovered. (Something I think GM wished happen on ignition switches or VW on diesel engine emissions).

Anyway, if YOU are having problems, I am sure that other Tesla dealership detailers are in the same situation as you and it`s time to share the information on how to correct it OR address it at the factory.

Merlin`s pictures in the above post are absolutely stunning!!!! Must be the fact the he is down-under in Australia and maybe his rotary buffers rotate the opposite way as they do in the Northern hemisphere that has something to do with it! (Just kidding!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I am in Sunny South Florida.

Knowing the thin, "soft" California Tesla paint...a rotary would be the last tool I would use.

The black Model S (in the pics above) was only a few days old when it came in.
    Yes, it was covered is swirls. Was it like that from the factory or the dealership?
    Was it a bad wash job? I don`t know. To me it did not matter where to place the blame.
    What mattered to me was he got what it "should" have looked like when he picked it up.
    IMHO When you pay 100K+ for a vehicle it should not look like it was washed with a Brillo pad.

I did a Black Chevy Camaro with less than 50 miles on it that came directly from the dealership.
    I told the owner "Do not let the dealership wash it". They did, it took me almost 30 hours to correct.
    When I was done it looked like what a new vehicle should look like when you have just purchased it.
    Likes Ronkh, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Merlin`s pictures in the above post are absolutely stunning!!!! Must be the fact the he is down-under in Australia and maybe his rotary buffers rotate the opposite way as they do in the Northern hemisphere that has something to do with it! (Just kidding!)
    Merlin`s down under???

Under what? Who?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have always wanted to go to Australia and watch the toilet flush backwards.

Aussies gotta love coming to the US. They finally get to stand right side up.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I have always wanted to go to Australia and watch the toilet flush backwards.

Aussies gotta love coming to the US. They finally get to stand right side up.
    My BAD!! Someone (me) is obviously very "confused" about geography, thinking that "Sunny South Florida" is in Australia. Don`t know how I made that inference.

Wish someone would write up hints and tips and post pictures about detailing Tesla paint.

Still LOVE the pictures of the black Tesla. Not enough words to describe the gloss and reflection.
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information